Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-25-03, 17:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 108/107/99
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default Question about legality - Need an expert

I found these bars today (plan to use them as breakfast replacement if they're "legal") - and want to get some advice on whether they fit into the Atkins way of life....The bar is called Nitro-Tech. Total carb count is 5, Dietary Fiber is 3. The main ingreds are: Whey protein isolate, whey protein powder, l-leucine, glycerine, water, peanut flour, hydrolized protein, malitol, palm and palm kernal oils, calcum caseniate, You get the idea. The list goes on and on. Am looking to eat these on the days when cooking breakfast is not an option. The website is www.muscletech.com if anyone wants to really delve into it.
Thanks in advance for the help! I may have dropped one pound - I'll know for sure tomorrow. Emily
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-25-03, 18:26
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi there Emily,

First of all, if you are still in Induction, I wouldn't use them. Peanut flour is definitely not allowed during Induction for a start. In fact peanuts can often be a problem, as they are technically not nuts at all - they are legumes, and can cause cravings.

The main potential problem is the glycerine and maltitol. Glycerine and maltitol are sugar alcohols, and these substances can often cause folk to stall. If you put the calories etc in your bar through our "Hidden Carbs Inspector" (to the right side of the screen), you'll find that if you count the sugar alcohols as carbs, the carb count of your bar will be substantially more than 5.

If you go to "Low Carb Tips" on the orange bar at the top of the screen, you'll find more info about the sugar alcohols - along with a lot of other helpful info too.

All the best to you, Emily.

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-25-03, 22:28

Stats: 180/135/135 Female 64 inches
BF:30
Progress: 100%

The sugar alcohols are a problem for some... but even more problematic is the glycerine. It is technically a carb and can be netted out because it supposedly passes through your system with very little effect on your blood sugars - however MANY people have a strong bloodsugar response to glycerine. I personally do. Most low carb bars contain glycerine - which seems to be the main reason ALOT of people stall out if they eat the low carb bars. I would avoid them if you want to lose weight. Save the ones you purchased for a real emergency or for when you are at goal and are maintaining.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-26-03, 06:31

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%
Default creative ideas for breakfast

Hi there. You've received sound advice already. Hopefully the following will help you find alternatives:

In about the time it takes to unwrap a bar, you can grab your own home made quicky breakfast made ahead of time.

1. Make crustless quiche, store away in fridge or freezer, nuke it for a minute or 2 and you have food on the run.

2. Breakfast is just a meal. It doen't have to be traditional breakfast food. Have you tried nuking planned leftovers from the night before for breakfast?

3. Protein shake - protein powder, water, cream, ice cubes...whirrrr it up

4. A cold chicken leg leftover from the night before?

5. Home made meatballs, made ahead (weekend are great for this), heated or cold and dipped in ranch dressing?

Don't let yourself get in a breakfast rut. There are tons of things that make suitable quick breafasts. It just takes a little imagination.

(My fav right now in this terrible cold is home made soup - chicken, cabbage and daikon radish soup was today's breakfast, with reheated mashed cauliflour "faux" mashed potatoes.)