Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 17:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/153/135 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 82%
Angry No L Carnitine in Canada?

I was just at GNC this afternoon and was informed that L Carnitine is not being sold in Canada. Well, that was a surprise!

Has anyone else had problems with this or any other supplements? I don't know if we'd be allowed to buy them via the internet. I'll start searching, but if anyone knows..

My weight loss is going okay, so I guess I shouldn't be so disappointed, but this is one of the vita-nutrients that Dr. Atkins recommends, so I wanted to check it out. C'est la vie.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 19:38

Stats: 192.5/169/145 Female 5'9''
BF:
Progress: 49%
Smile

Hi.. not sure what ''GNC" is but you could possibly try some health food stores. We have stuff over here just called Carnitine ( with out the L in front of it) but it sounds like the same stuff ( it aids weight loss)... and this is in NEWZEALAND which as you may know is at the end of the earth, so don't give up, possibly someone has given you the wrong info. Good luck.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-04, 20:57

BF:

Hi Keisha,

GNC (General Nutrition Centre) is a health store. I may try one that carries more products in a mall closer to where I work. Good idea - I'll keep checking.

Thanks!

Rocky
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 11:11
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Carnitine is available only by prescription in Canada However, some health food stores might have it available "under the counter" if you ask quietly Be forewarned, it's extremely expensive.

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 11:56

Stats: 156/146.8/139 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 54%

I have bought L-carnitine from YVS (behind the counter).

It is very expensive so I only bought it once. I really liked it though.....

You cannot purchase it over the net as far as I know to ship to Canada because it is controlled here and it would get stopped at the border. Last time I was in Bellingham I got some at Vitamin World and brought it back with me for less than 50% of what it would cost here. Declaring it at the border could be a problem though as they are now asking about vitamins and supplements at the Peach Arch crossing.

Best of luck.

Julie
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 14:43

BF:

Thanks for that info Doreen. I guess the key would be to find out if my insurance carrier covers it. (It couldn't be any worse than the meds I take to prevent migraines??? If it wasn't for insurance, I'd never be able to afford them!)

Thanks also Julie. I'm much too far from the border to try that! I did check on the net and saw the "cannot ship to Canada" signs.

At least it's not the only option out there!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 22:45
blah

Stats: 238/225.2/199 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 33%

hi there

I am from close the Alberta border and you can get L carnitine in the health food store in Grande prairie Ab. The one in the Prairie Mall. Also i can get it here in Dawson Creek.. It is 38.50 a bottle...Iam not sure where you are from but Iam going to assume from the Rocky part of the title either Rocky Mountain house or somewhere in that vicinity. If I can be of more help let me know.

Neen
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-04-04, 17:50
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins mostly
Stats: 250/196/170 Male 5'8"
BF:100%/50%/0%
Progress: 68%
Talking

I first heard about L-Carnitine 3-4 years ago so I went into a small health food store in my small Canuck town and asked for L-Carnitine out of curiosity. In hushed tones the clerk produced a bottle from a special closet and it cost something like $40. When I regained conciousness , I declined the expensive experiment. Now I know why his tones were hushed .
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Apr-10-04, 18:47

BF:

Thanks everyone for the replies! I've since found it at one place in Edmonton with the advice that "I may not be able to get it again"! I'm not going to start using it yet as my weight loss is going well.

My doctor said I can get Carnitine by prescription, but same thing, let's wait and see if the weight loss slows - going well now.

This is such a great site to learn about all of this on!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Feb-17-10, 14:34

Plan: ketosis
Stats: 160/160/155 Female 174
BF:
Progress:
Default Good L-Carnitine on eBay

Hi,

I've been purchasing L-Carnitine for over 3 years off of eBay and live in Canada had no problems with it stopping at the Canadian boarder. I don't find it so much helping me loose weight but it keeps my energy levels up (I'm hypoglycemic) and helps me recover faster from muscle work outs. Here's a good seller that sells it for really cheap plus free shipping. I hope this helps!

eBay user name:
raigen1

Item listing link (may have expired depending on when you're looking at this post)http://cgi.ebay.com/1-L-Carnitine-5...689892330109662
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Feb-21-10, 10:04
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 190/171/170 Male 73
BF:
Progress: 95%

I am really surprised by this, L-carnitine is a naturally occurring substance in many foods. Is it controlled because it helps build lean muscle?