Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 09:28
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: /10/ Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Endulge PB Cups

Hello everyone
Now that I have discovered that I can have something sweet ,I was wondering how many of these candy bars a day is acceptable?Or how many a week is okay?The same question for the shakes?and can you add a few strawberries to the shake?I did something bad last night ,I went out to eat at Elmers Restauraunt,and I had a 1/2 cup of veg soup with beef in it, I was careful not to eat the potatoes or carrots,Do you know how many carbs that soup may have had in it? Also,any ideas for a low carb homemade soup?? Thanks in advance !!!!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 09:32
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

You will mostly hear that the treats can cause side affects. From running to the restrooms, to causing you to stall. It is all an individul thing. No other way to learn but from trail and error. I dont think you should have more than one candybar a day. (However I have been known to eat far more than that in one sitting.)

Strawberries in the shake sound yummy.

Just pay attention to what your body is telling you, and you should be fine.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 09:42

Plan: Atkins /NHE/CKD
Stats: 289/219/200 Male 5' 8"
BF:41%/20%/18%
Progress: 79%

klindy, have you read this article?
Jag
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=182859
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 09:51

Plan: Atkins/LowCarbBFL
Stats: 215/182/170 Male 73
BF:33%/20%/14%
Progress: 73%

Klindy,

Soups can very easily be made low-carb. I make a lot of soups like this:

Saute some green veggies in butter. I like to use a combination of things like onions, okra, celery, asparagus, broccoli, garlic, etc. Then I pour in some canned chicken or beef stock. Then I add my meat--I like chicken but beef is good too. If I boiled my chicken first, I use that stock instead of canned. Lots of times though I just use leftover meat. Then I add a good bit of basil and other herbs--I like tarragon too. Let it simmer for a little while and enjoy. Another thing that' s good tasting, a little different, and also very healthy is to add a couple of cups of boston lettuce or other leafy green to the pot after the stock is added. The main thing is to make it heavy on protein but still retain the veggie flavor. You can also add tomatoes after the stock. Another idea is to add a couple tablespoons of heavy cream at the end.

I usually don't use a recipe and it's different but good every time
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 10:06
Registered Member

BF:

Thank you for the reciepe! sounds good! Do you know why you can't have soup at a restaurant? It only has veggies and beef in it.. Thanks !
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 10:08
Registered Member

BF:

Good article ! Thank you.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-10-04, 23:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 275/247/175 Female 5'10
BF:39/36/24or less
Progress: 28%

The candybars are great! I love um, that being said they can do bad evil things to ya. I am a diabetic and found that it raised my blood sugar (a good thing really because since starting Atkins I have been getting very low blood sugars). They can cause stalls to. I have seen a great debate over counting the sugar alcohols to. So what ever works for you. It is nice though to have an option for something sweet!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 10:25

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/147/140 Female 5'2"
BF:Haven't/a/Clue
Progress: 82%

Sometimes soups in a restaurant have thickeners (a roux) made of flour or cornstarch.

Strawberries are not for induction, just in case that's where you are (since you posted in the Newbie's Forum).

I wouldn't even go for the shakes or bars on Induction, either, but that's personal.

Clean Inductions work best to eliminate cravings and detoxify your body.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 10:39

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 246/198/150 Female 62inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

I'm glad to see someone else using greens in soups and stirfry.
The big dark leaved stuff is best.
I have made "french onion " soup with beef stock, mushrooms, spring onion & parmesan cheese.I use a slice of lc bread broken up,dried or toasted to make croutons. soaked in galice butter first.
Keep the candy bars in the veggie bin with your brocolli and cucumbers so you have to make a choice between good carbs and sugar alcohols every time you take one.

Last edited by bevbme : Tue, May-11-04 at 19:33.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, May-11-04, 11:45

Plan: Cyclic Ketogenic
Stats: 245/167/180 Male 71.5
BF:30%/11.4%/9%
Progress: 120%

I use shakes daily, eat strawberries (about 3-4) throughout the day. I stay in induction for the most part during the weekdays, somewhat of a "ketogenic diet". However, this may not work for everyone, so try it out one week, if it works, stick with it, if it doesn't, remove those items from your diet.

I also use the Atkins Advantage candy bars, because they are full of protein and low in carbs, great for post-workout.

The endulge candy bars, such as the peanut butter cups, contain sugar alcohol. Sugar alcohol is not suppose to knock you out of ketosis, but like all alcohol, it is a fuel and will be burned off before your body continues to burn fat. I say keep these to a minimum, maybe 1-2 a week, depending on your craving.

All this i've written is based on my experience and from reading tons of articles.