Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 11:24
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 234/220/165
BF:43.8/?/22
Progress: 20%
Question Protein powder

As part of my "on my own" weight loss regime I starting drinking a protein shake in the morning. Love it. Makes a huge difference in my eating habits, my hunger and I believe it helps in terms of my working out. Anyway, it is about 30g of protein and, I belive 3-6 gs of carbs. Plus the milk and frozen berries I mix with it.

Could I still have this? Will I need to switch to juice or mixing the powder in yogurt ( which Ihaven't tried)?

I would really hate to give up my protein shakes and occasional protein bars (3gs carbs, 21 gs protein).

Selina
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 11:31

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

You might have to try adapting your shakes a little. The milk is the bad thing. If you are adding 200g of milk (about 8g) the whole thing could come to about 15g of carbs - nearly all your daily allowance on Atkins.

You could try mixing cream with water to get the carbs down. also you might try making your own shakes based around 90% soy protein powder (0 carbs).

The protein bars look pretty low in carbs - I think you could work an occasional one into your carb allowance.

Robert
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 11:41
Registered Member

Stats: 234/220/165
BF:43.8/?/22
Progress: 20%
Default add soy milk?

What about soy milk? I'm not adverse to buying my own carton of milk aside from the family if need be.

Selina
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 11:49
This is the year

Stats: 194/186.8/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

If you get the unsweetened plain soy milk, that's about 4 to 5 g carbs per cup. Some brands also make a vanilla or chocolate splenda sweetenend soy milk, West Soy is one of them and they market it as Soy Slender.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 12:39

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 198/161/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 70%

I made an Atkins shake from the powder this morning (Cappucino flavor) and used 8 oz of the SF Westsoy soy milk (also Cappucino flavor). It was pretty darn good.

Last edited by manucpa : Mon, May-19-03 at 20:05.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-19-03, 12:50
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Westsoy unsweetened soy milk is only 1 carb a cup. Enjoy!