Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Nov-30-03, 18:31
Registered Member

Plan: neanderthin/paleo type diet
Stats: 109/109/109 Female 5 foot six inches
BF:very low
Progress:
Default HELP!!! lost too much weight

I began low carbing at the advice of a nutritionist. Problem is...I'm down to 95 lbs when I need to be at 105 minimum. I need to gain 10 lbs by dec 13th! I ate looots of dried fruits, bananas, and pineapple today as well as some hefty nuts tonite. I am hoping this will result in a quick gain of weight (but it is not practical in the long run nor appetizing, I feel yucky too many dates). I need some tips on staying low carb (it makes me feel so good, balanced moods, no cravings) but not go under a 100 lbs! Would eating 2 or 3 servings of whole grains a day like brown rice or sprouted grain bread as well as some yogurt and nuts help??? I don't want to put on too much weight too quickly but I don't want to go under a 100. Does anyone think what I did tonight was a good idea? or very dumb? Please help me. I need to weigh 105 by the 13th but I don't want to go back to being a sugar and fat free bagel/pasta addict.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Nov-30-03, 18:38

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Wow! For your height, you really are getting too low! If you're losing weight, it seems that you should be adding more carbs in the form of fruits, higher carb veggies and possibly some whole grains. The only caution with adding whole grains is to be aware of the effect that they have on you and whether or not they are triggering cravings. If they don't trigger any cravings, I don't see a problem with adding back a couple of servings a day of whole grains along with a few other carbs mentioned above.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Nov-30-03, 18:58
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

What is so special about the 13th that you need to weigh 105 pounds by then? You are certainly too thin for your height (my daughter is your height and she looks very good at 120 pounds), but stuffing yourself to gain weight is not any healthier than starving yourself to lose weight. You said you are doing this on the advice of a nutritionist. If that is the case, why don't you make an emergency appointment with the nutritionist and discuss ways to add some calories to your diet while improving your health at the same time? Are you seeing the nutritionist because you have been diagnosed with an eating disorder? If so, I would rely upon professional advice rather than any advice that you receive on this forum.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-30-03, 21:02

Stats: // Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 33%

Low Carb is a relative term and each person has a different amount of carbs that their body needs to be healthy. Go over that amount and you will gain. Go under that amount and you will lose. The idea I think is to replace useless "bad carbs with "good" carbs that your body can use. Obviously you went below your bodies required amount of carbs. Carefully add back some whole grains (cereals or breads or side dishes) and fruit Eating tons of dried fruits will just upset your stomach. Gaining or losing too quickly is unhealthy.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-03, 08:10

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Quote:
Would eating 2 or 3 servings of whole grains a day like brown rice or sprouted grain bread as well as some yogurt and nuts help???

Absolutley !! and add some berries and melons, oranges in that too about 3 servings a day aleast.

Hope you come back and tell us more, Cheers kathy

Last edited by Kathy54 : Tue, Dec-02-03 at 08:12.