Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-22-04, 12:50

Plan: PP
Stats: 160/149/125 Female 66 in.
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default Killing beta cells: in the genes?

I was idly perusing the Usenet groups this morning and came across a thread in the diabetes forum in which Oldal4865 explained that ongoing beta-cell degeneration is from having the diabetes gene: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...56&page=1&pp=15

Quote:
However, as a variety of folks have mentioned, you still have a bunch of dead beta cells, and according to the gloomy web sites which Frank Roy has cited, more are dying because you have the genes which cause Type 2 diabetes.

5. If you read the gloomy web sites which Frank Roy found, you will see that when folks with genes like yours manufacture insulin, they also damage their
beta cells. Keep making insulin and sooner or later enough beta cells will die, and you will no longer be asymptomatic (i.e. you will have high blood sugars again).

6. If you read the gloomy web site which Frank Roy found, very carefully,

http://www.joplink.net/prev/200209/02.html

you will note that the author, a teaching M.D. at the Univ. of Missouri Med School, thinks that if you can find a way to live without making much insulin, you can delay the rate at which beta cells die. Thus, you can delay the time at which you start displaying diabetic symptoms.

My father is a T2, this runs in our family. I am not a diabetic, but I was/am IR. I have been assuming that since I am relatively young (mid-thirties) and controlling my BG and insulin well with Atkins that I can probably preserve most of my beta cells and avoid this diagnosis. But maybe my beta cells are genetically programmed to self-destruct anyway as I get older. Does anyone here know more about this?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-23-04, 14:02

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I don't know but I have a theory. It is that if you take care and keep your diet a lc one then you will probably protect the beta cells. This theory comes from the information on cultures who have been traditionally lc, such as Native indians, Inuits, Aborigines etc. who have very low incidences of diabetes and heart disease. When Native Indians were given government hand-outs of bread, pasta etc, the rate of obesity and diabetes rose rapidly. So I think that beta cells have the ability to remain healthy, longer, if they are not bombarded with the "glorified poison" that we call carbohydrates.