Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: Which diet do you follow?
Atkins 211 58.94%
Body Opus/CKD 2 0.56%
Carbohydrate Addicts 25 6.98%
Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution 4 1.12%
Insulin Control Diet 1 0.28%
Ketogenic diet 2 0.56%
Mayo diet 1 0.28%
Montignac 1 0.28%
Neanderthin 0 0%
Paleolithic Diet 1 0.28%
Protein Power 28 7.82%
Schwarzbein Principle 13 3.63%
Sommersizing 2 0.56%
Stillman Diet 3 0.84%
Sugar Busters 5 1.40%
The Zone 6 1.68%
Non low-carb diets 1 0.28%
Other (own combination) 52 14.53%
Voters: 358. You may not vote on this poll

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-25-01, 13:15
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Which low-carb diet do you follow?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-25-01, 20:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 169/147/107
BF:
Progress:

You're right. These polls are cool.

Sue
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-26-01, 08:33

Plan:
Stats: //100
BF:
Progress:
Talking

Hi,

I'm new to this forum. I did Carbohydrate Addicts diet last summer, but stopped when I was diagnosed with low thyroid disease.
Now on medication for over 6 months, I thought I'd start it up again to lose 15 lbs.

Hope to find some good support here!
Blessings....Sandra
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-28-01, 03:05
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 150/150/130
BF:
Progress: 0%
Wink

Hi Sandra!
I'm starting CAD too! Even though it sounds too good to be true!!! I also have about that to lose, and whichever way you look at it, dieting is a bore so please feel free to write to me and tell me how it's going ok?
Good luck
Silvia
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-28-01, 07:24

Plan:
Stats: //100
BF:
Progress:
Wink

Hi Silvia,

Thanks for writing me. Glad to hear you are doing Carbo addicts too.
I noticed you lived in Italy, a country that I have always wanted to tour!

It's day 4 for me now (I started Sunday) and have done very well and haven't veered off of the books diet.
The 1 hour reward meal is great because that's when I get my sweet or a little bowl of cereal after eating a big salad and my protein.
I have the biggest sweet tooth, so this has really helped curb those cravings during the day!
Hope your day and diet goes well!

God bless!
Sandra
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-28-01, 09:54
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Sandra!!
Unfortunately I keep stopping and starting because my doc wants me to do one of those awful sugar and insulin blood tests and you gotta highcarb for 4 days before doing it and I keep changing my mind. I think I'm not in the best frame of mind. I should just go and do the test and get it over with, but as I said in another chat thread I'm a bit chicken!!!

Anyway I wish you the very best of luck. Please keep me posted about your results and hang on in there. Spring is on the way and so is the beach!!!

Keep well!
S.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-05-01, 16:02

Plan:
Stats: 180/180/180
BF:
Progress:
Wink

I don't follow any diet. I just eat healthy. No junk food, no pop, and I exercise. It's worked wonders for me.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-05-01, 17:25

Stats: 183/143/140
BF:
Progress: 93%
Talking

My aren't you lucky
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-05-01, 19:31

BF:

Hi all,

Wow am I ever hearing negative stuff on this Atkins WOE. Makes me a bit concerned! I'm still reading the book, but now have cut out potatoes, bread and some veggies that are high on carb.

Even when I read here on the posts. I find myself feeling a bit concerned when I hear someone say. Hi, I'm new here, I was on Atkins or one of those WOE programs (can't remember all of them). I have been diagnosed with(some kind of problem) and want to start up again.
Did this diet cause problems to them yrs ago?

I have mentioned this diet to a few people in these last few days and I am getting such negative responses! They say it Causes kidney problems and people get diagnosed with new problems.

Is it best to go to the doctors first before starting on this diet? Yet I read on this, that some doctors aren't into Atkins either? Goodness, sounds like a catch 22 doesn't it?

I also read on suppliements. Is there really a need for this stuff? If so what kind are helpful? Then there is a blocker for carbs? Does the blocker really work, if one doesn't abuse them? Is there any side effects?

I also heard where some have fallen off the wagon. Why would falling of the wagon happen if the book says your cravings go away? Makes me think, "Oh no, here we go another diet that I will possibly fail on"! Sorry WOE, as some of you like to call it and I too if I can truly feel this isn't dangerous!

I'm sorry its just that I felt so positive when I first fell into this site, thinking yes, finally something that is healthy and will work. This Dr. Atkins WOE sounded so postive.

Then when you get such negative responses from friends that you know, and trust me..they diet off and on through the years, you must question this so called danger they talk about?

Although I have been over weight after kids, and yes I still use that as an excuse even though they are now 18 and 20 yrs old. I have always been healthy. God forbid I go on this WOE and eat all this meat and something happens to my kidneys or I get diagnosed with something new???

Am I just stressed out folks????

Wendy

Last edited by numberonewendy : Mon, Mar-05-01 at 20:00.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Mar-05-01, 19:33

BF:

While I'm at it. I also heard one can help this diet by drinking two glasses of red wine a day, is this true?

Oh my, so much to learn

Wendy

Last edited by numberonewendy : Mon, Mar-05-01 at 19:55.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Mar-05-01, 20:09
Forum Founder

[QUOTE]Originally posted by numberonewendy
Wow am I ever hearing negative stuff on this Atkins WOE. {/QUOTE]

Hi Wendy,

The best thing to make sure you're on the right track is to read more.

I do a lot of research trying to find a single proof that low-carb is unhealthy, but I found none, only opinionated articles.

Just think of it, how did we evolve? We evolved eating meat and low-carb, and as far as I'm concerned, I need proof, other than research paid by the sugar asociation or the wheat council, that our evolution was wrong, and we need sugar and flour to be healthy!

Wa'il

P.S. Click on the "Studies" section above for a huge collection of articles and research.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Mar-05-01, 20:12
Forum Founder

Quote:
Originally posted by numberonewendy

While I'm at it. I also heard one can help this diet by drinking two glasses of red wine a day, is this true?

I doubt it "helps". In Protein Power they simply say it's o.k. to have a glass, but I don't think anyone recommends doing it.

Wa'il
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Mar-05-01, 22:55

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 265/233/???
BF:
Progress:

Hi Wendy... Welcome aboard.

Wa'il is right. You have to do the research. Nothing will work if you have the slighest doubt about it. Kinda sets you up for failure in the future so I guess you have some work to do girl.

I can mouth the words here, you should never start a diet without checking with your doctor. However, I didn't because 1. I'm lazy and 2. I thought for sure my doc would object. I too have heard the negative things people say about any low carb diet.

Tuesday marks one year on Dr. Aitkins for my hubby and I. This is the only diet I have ever stuck to, let alone for a year. I have never seen Ray this slim in all the years I have known him. Kind of like seeing a whole new person. He looks "normal" now just slightly pudgy and hasn't yet become accustomed to his size. He is under 200 now, down from 285.

I guess what I am trying to get across here is, give it a try. Take it one day at a time and don't think that you will lose 50 lbs in a short space of time. Some people lose fast, some lose slow.

Dr. Aitkins gives you the tools to work with. Yes there is a lot of protein. But there is also a lot of veggies too. There are many sites including this one that post low carb recipes. The most astonishing thing about this diet is that it works. You don't have to go overboard with the butter and the cheese. Fair warning though, you will be doing a bit of cooking because everything is made from scratch and from mostly fresh ingredients. No chemicals, packaged mixes or artificial life forms allowed! How can that be unhealthy?

People typically eat a very high proportion of carbs in a day. Lots of low fat stuff that has no taste. Do you see tons of skinny people around you? You would think that with the huge amount of low fat, low calorie items in the grocery store, there would be a lot of Calista Flockharts in the nebourhood but they don't live around here!

Ray and I were just as guilty and should have bought shares in the A&W, Burger King, McDonald's, Robin's Dougnuts, and Tim Hortons. We were just as happy to belly up to the drive through. Didn't get us anywhere, especially when it is so easy to supersize everything! And what about those Pizza joints? No wonder I hated looking in the mirror!

So Wendy, give it a try. All you have to lose is about 2 weeks and see where you're at. Like I said before in my ramblings, I have never stayed on a diet this long, and I have been on some kind of diet ever since I was a teenager. I have a long way to go, but then again, I've come a long way too.

Sorry about the long yadda yadda yadda...... I think I'll end this here before I get into trouble. Have a good night everyone.

Robin

#14   ^
Old Tue, Mar-06-01, 00:03
Forum Founder

Robin, WELL SAID!!!

Wa'il
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Mar-06-01, 05:49
Registered Member

BF:

Hi everyone! I agree with Robin too! It's the only diet I've ever mangaed to follow fore more than a few days (!!!) and I'm always satisfied and I feel great!!

Of course. it is easy to fall off the wagon even if I don't have cravings any more, for various reasons: eating in other people's homes, bad habits or the dumbest of them all: I'm thin so I can eat pasta again. Although I've stopped having cravings I couldn't honestly say that I don't like junk food any more. I can live happily without but I still really like them.

I do find that although you can drink wine it does lower my determination: if I drink a glass I tend to overeat.

So, Wendy, my advice is : try it and see how you feel!!! I'm sure you'll be satisfied with the results like all of us!!

Good Luck!
Silvia