Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-11-03, 08:55

Plan: WW Lowcarb style
Stats: 280/269.5/250 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default Ketosis and breastfeeding?

Hello
I have an important question. I am still breastfeeding my 9 month old daughter and I have a question about Ketosis.
can someone tell me if it's ok to go through it while still breastfeeding? will ketones pass through the milk?as long as I drink enough water is that ok? and my last question is where can I get the strips to test for ketones and how to read the results?
thanks for answering I really appreciate it!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-11-03, 09:34
Run Spot, run!

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/151/150 Female 67 inches
BF:32%/27ish%/21-25%
Progress: 94%
Default Ketosis and Breastfeeding

Dr. Atkins says specifically that the ketogenic portion of the LC diet should be avoided by nursing moms.

If you want to LC at this point, go directly to a Maintenance type level (which would allow for higher carbs) until you wean your daughter. So, your "LC/whole foods" plan might fit the bill...

I would imagine the introduction of ketones would make your milk unpalatable - if the resultant odors they cause in "grown-ups" are any indication. I have no idea if they would pose any danger.

When (or if) you can turn to the ketogenic portion of the LC diet, you can buy ketostix at the pharmacy - they are with the diabetic testing supplies and you might have to ask the pharmacist for them. You do not need a prescription to purchase them.

Last edited by lperk002 : Sat, Jan-11-03 at 09:37.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-11-03, 10:16

Plan: WW Lowcarb style
Stats: 280/269.5/250 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 35%

Thanks Lisa!
Yes I am not in induction since I don't want to risk baby's nutrition. I am taking in aproximately 15 carbs per meal, in the form of low carb toast, sometimes little bit of brown rice, butmostly in good vegetables and beans.
Thanks for your help I'll go and get those test strips today.

can I ask what sort of odors to watch for?

Thanks!!

#4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-11-03, 15:14
Run Spot, run!

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/151/150 Female 67 inches
BF:32%/27ish%/21-25%
Progress: 94%
Default Ummm...

When you can safely get into the ketogenic stage (and I guess you are using the test strips for the opposite reasons the majority would be using them - you are trying to avoid getting a positive reading! )

you might notice some bad breath or a muskier tendency in your personal odor. I had both on my first Induction. Then I introduced chlorophyll tabs twice a day. That seemed to control both odor issues.

When I fell off the wagon in November/December, I stopped taking the chlorophyll, but when I went back to strict Induction (20g of carbs max per day) I started the chlorophyll immediately and I never got "keto" breath.

It is something to consider when you your daughter is weaned and you can start adding new things to your own system.

HTH.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-06-04, 16:24

Plan: atkins
Stats: 219/212/145 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 9%

I am now nursing and doing the ketosis. How did your turn out?