Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 08:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/184/140 Female 5ft 4 inches
BF:lost track
Progress: 56%
Default Keep on Keeping on!

This post is to all TDC'ers who may have tried this WOL before and came back. And for those who are first timers.

I am not so inclined to "toot my own horn", rather to inspire and motivate.

I started LC'ing the end of January. This is my 2nd attempt. My first attempt I fell off plan at this time of the year. It was the week of Thanksgiving. I indulged in everything from the pumpkin pie to the macaroni and cheese to stuffing with loads of gravy. My reasoning was that I would jump back next week. Right? Wrong! It took me 2 years and 35 extra pounds to finally do it again. Why? I gave up. I lost my motivation. I thought I would be happier since I was eating what I wanted to. I wasn't happier when I saw what the scale said last December.
Many of you don't know it, but I was involved in a hunting accident where I was shot in my right thigh. It could have been life threatening as the bullet missed my femoral artery by less than a 1/4". However, the good Lord saw fit to spare me and give me another chance. To be sure I was given the appropriate dose of medications I had to be weighed. (Otherwise I NEVER weighed myself!) After I saw what the scale said, I would rather be shot again. Now many are you looking at my beginning weight and thinking to yourselves....geez she was ONLY 240lbs, I am 300lbs or 400lbs. But the initial shock at being your heaviest was as real for me as it was for you. I knew then that I had to DO something. I was given a second chance of life and I sure didn't want to take it for granted.
My LC journey has not been perfect. I have struggled with cravings, temptations and loss of motivation. I could have given up in March when I had my first "cheat". I didn't. I read the Atkins book again and kept reading the journals of the LC Guru's here and found my "mojo" again. I hauled my backside back in to the LC wagon and tried again.
My losses have been like a roller coaster ride. I have seen the pounds melt and then stall and then lose again and then stall. Some of which has been my fault as I am no LC angel. I have times that I indulge in a high carb foods, then I feel bad for a few days after. I have learned that these indulgences are what has brought me back to the LC WOL. Who wants to feel like that all the time? Not me!
To those of you just starting out...Take measurements! When the scale isn't moving you will see the tape measure moving. I wish that I had done this back in January, but didn't. I have lost 10 inches off my backside since April, 8 inches off my waist, 5 inches off my thighs and biceps. I think all totalled I have lost 67% of my heighth!
I NEVER would have stuck to this WOL, had I not had someone to share my progress or my failures with. I owe a lot of my success to those on this forum. It isn't easy to admit your failures, but at least here there are people who understand what you are going through and help you through it. I never would have a 78% loss if I had quit back in March. One weak moment didn't ruin my progress. It may have set me back, but I didn't give up. When we give up is when progress stops.
Don't give up because the scale is not moving. Eventually, it will. Don't give up because you had a day where you ate 100 carbs. Go back to square one and start over. It isn't easy, but it's better than quitting. Don't give up because someone on the forum is losing faster than you or because you didn't reach that mini goal you set for yourself. I had a mini goal to reach 150 by Sept 30th. I haven't made it to 150 yet and it's November. LOL!
Try and get some exercise. I can't tell you what it has done for me. I don't think I had this much energy when I was a teenager. Just read my journal. I go nonstop all the time now. I am LIVING life, not watching it pass by.
I am so thankful that I have you all to share this with. I hope that there's someone who is reading this will find motivation to stick with it and hang in there over the Holidays. YOU CAN DO IT! It is only a temporary situation that could lead to longterm problems. Don't be like me 2 years ago and quit! It is NOT worth it. My second chance won't be wasted! I promise!
May God bless each of you in your journey,
Tanya
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 08:25

Plan: Atkins/W.W.
Stats: 401/299/170 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 44%

Thanks for the wonderful advice.....I'm a first timer and luckily have no desire to stray from this WOE SO FAR! I want this too badly to give it up for a taste of any goodies this holiday season. I hope my resolve will always be this strong.
Your look on your "new" life is refreshing...
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 08:34

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 290/282/190 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 8%

WOW! Your words brought tears to my eyes. Much of what you said here could also be my story. I am rock solid now, but will tag this post so that when I have days that I would like to "slip around" I will reread what you have written here. Thanks for sharing your feelings and opening your heart to others. Together we will be healthier for life. Hugs DGay
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 09:21
~ReFINDing Terry~

Stats: 304/167/150 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 89%
Smile

Tanya, Thanks for the words of inspiration! This is my first time LCing and I have no intention of compromising my losses by straying over the holidays. You've help me add weight to my resolve and I appreciate your words of encouragement. BYW Thanks for paving a path for us to follow. It is so encouraging to see someone so close to their goal (which is almost the same as my goal )
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 09:33
90 Days at a Time

Plan: Glycemic Load
Stats: 426/405.2/326 Male 74 in.
BF:
Progress: 21%

Tanya, my little ChurchLady, that was a heartfelt sermon off the mount! You always have good things to say and that is some of the best.
Thanks for the heads-up! Having never passed a Christmas Holiday season on low carb, I can see rough seas ahead at parties and family dinners. Your words will help me weather the high-carb storm.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 12:39
Contributing Member

Stats: 345/304/240 Male 5'9
BF:20.72 %
Progress: 39%

Tanya, your post is very inspiring. I have no plans to go off this WOE for the holidays but after reading your post I feel even stronger about making the right food choices.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 22:24
Contributing Member

Plan: ???
Stats: ???/???/??? Female ???
BF:
Progress: 10%

Tanya,
Thank you for sharing that with us. The successes of those who have been doing this a while are the dreams of those of us who have just started.

You're so right about the value of having a place like this to come and share the good things and admit the screw ups.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Nov-21-03, 06:50

By the way y'all this will be my FIRST LC holiday season. And I have a LC PLANNEDmenu. I failed before because I didn't have a plan and I was left hanging without LC replacement foods.
I have recipes for LC Pumpkin Cheesecake, LC gravy using Thicknthin and Mock Mashed potatoes. I even found a recipe to replace candied yams using pumpkin.
We will forego the green bean casserole and opt for FRESH ones. I haven't decided if we are going to have dressing as DH will be frying our turkey.
I always found that I falter when I don't plan ahead. I am NOT a planner, but I have learned to over the last 10 months.
Make your menu's NOW and if you are NOT doing the cooking prepare a side dish or two to take along if at all possible.
Have a healthy Happy Thanksgiving!
Hugs,
Tanya
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Nov-21-03, 08:20

Plan: Atkins cheat free
Stats: 313/167/164 Female 69 inches
BF:who knows
Progress: 98%

Tanya, Thanks for sharing about how holiday indulgence knocked you off the Atkins Low Carb wagon. Glad you had the courage to get back on the wagon and firmly glue your butt on this time. I hope every one will follow your advice and be prepared this yr.

Your low carb T-day sounds good. You can make LC cranberry sauce too if you are on the fourth rung of OWL and follow the package of fresh cranberries recipe directions but use your low carb sweetener of choice instead of the sugar. Just remember to calculate the carbs for the whole batch and then figure out your serving size as the cranberries will cook down and 1/2 cup cooked has more carbs then the raw 1/2 cup on the label.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Nov-21-03, 09:35

Stats: 343/295/160 Female 5'11
BF:
Progress: 26%

Tanya, thank you so much for your story. It has really helped me out, not only for Thanksgiving, but also for my trip to New Orleans this weekend. What an inspriation you are. I hope everyone has a great holiday!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Nov-21-03, 10:02

Thanks for the cranberry sauce advice. I won't be having any, my son is the only one who likes it and he will get some over at granny's house. LOL! I love cranberry juice...I am just not a fan of mixing fruit and meat. BLECK! I think I had a traumatic episode as a child with some pineapple on pork... anyhoo. Thanks for sharing.
Hugs.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Nov-21-03, 10:06

Stats: -/140/135 Female 5'10"
BF:All Fat?
Progress: 52%

Tanya - thanks for your post! This is my second time LC'ing and am determined to make it work for me this time. I'm sick of life passing me by and by next winter want to be back on the slopes skiing with my family. I have no plans to go off the WOE over the holidays and I do think planning ahead is the key. There are so many yummy things to make LC now that I cannot rationalize why I would blow it now. Good luck to you and thanks for the words of encouragement! Julie.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Nov-21-03, 21:35
Registered Member

Stats: 308/293.5/145 Female 5'6"
BF:probably 100%
Progress: 9%

Tanya,

Thanks so much for sharing! your post was very timely as this is my second time around and I so want to stay cheat-free for the holidays. Lately, it has been a struggle, I've been wanting to eat lots of high-carb "comfort" foods, but have resisted so far!
I am planning a very lc Thanksgiving meal, but need a recipe for gravy. Will you share yours?
Don't know why I want to eat so bad-feel like I am hanging on by a thread.
I will check out your journal. Sounds like a wonderful place to be. Thanks again, Tina
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-03, 07:47

Tina,
I don't have a recipe for the gravy. I just bought the ThickNthin which is a low carb thickener. I was just planning on taking some chicken broth and mixing the ThicknThin til I got the right consistency for me. I won't be making a lot. I am more or less "winging" it on this one. I very rarely eat gravy nowadays so this will be a real "treat". I like to use the natural juices off the meat to serve over my mock mashed taters. (Cauliflower).
Hang in there Tina. Don't let yourself get hungry. Feed your craving with good LC choices and the cravings will pass! I have had LOTS of weak moments! You can do it!
Hugs,
Tanya