Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 13:35
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 206/186/170 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 56%
Angry sore back????

I have a question for everyone. There are 3 of us here at the office doing the atkins and it seems that we all have sore backs. I know it sounds crazy but could there be any connection?

thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 13:44

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 191/152/155
BF:
Progress: 108%
Question Soreness went away

Wish I could help. My back problem went mostly away when I dropped 37 lbs. Especially chronic soreness around my sides.
Can only look like this: as I puzzle over it!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 13:52

Plan: LC/BFL
Stats: 160/159/145
BF:
Progress: 7%

What type of muscle pain do you have? Like a muslce pain? or a nagging pain in your back?
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 13:59
Registered Member

BF:

ya know the kind that feels like your back is going to break in half??? well thats the kind.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 14:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/154/135
BF:
Progress: 42%

I was going to ask this same question, but I had never seen anyone else mention it, so I thought it was that I had just lifted something wrong or something. After about the first week I had a backache. It was in my lower back. First I thought - ack! kidney stone. But, it wasn't and it went away after a few days.

No idea if there is any connection, but wanted to let you know that I did have a sore back soon after starting.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 14:09
Registered Member

BF:

thanks for answering. i hope it goes away soon!!!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 14:33
Former Couch Potato

Stats: 209/195.5/165 Female 5' 8"
BF:Oh yeah!
Progress: 31%

I had the same thing in my third week. I thought it was from sitting too long (I work at a computer all day). I controlled it by muscle relaxants for a couple of days. Am all better now.

It wasn't my kidneys -- too low in my back. It was more like a muscle strain. But it went away.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 14:57

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I had an awful aching back when I weighed 130 pounds more than I do now. But that was one of the very first things that disappeared about 1 month into my Atkins WOE.

Have any of you added exercise lately? Otherwise, I don't think sore back is a common complaint from being on Atkins. If anything, it would be just the opposite. Stinky breath, yes! Crabbyness and headaches during Induction, yes! But sore backs...I don't believe that to be related.

Anything else in common? Are you all taking the same suppliments or meds combinations?

Donald
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Apr-07-03, 17:04

Stats: 197/199/170 Female 68 in
BF:
Progress: -7%
Default Hmmmmm

I have noticed that if I am the least bit constipated I get a nasty pain in my lower back. Feels like it will break if I bend over too far. This goes away after I get 'flushed' out. I was worried about this doing Atkin's so I have been faithfully using Metamucil on a daily basis and trying to keep the water intake up.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-03, 01:29

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default another post here somewhere

Try doing a search of the forum for 'back pain'. I know I read one a while ago. It seems to be quite common to get back pain somewhere in the first few weeks of LCing, don't know why, but of course always suggest checking out with Dr. if you're really concerned. Have no idea why it happens, tho. I took ibuprofen and it went away after 2 days.

Good luck with the search!!

Nicole
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-03, 06:17

Stats: 259/223/148 Female 5'7
BF:No clue
Progress: 32%

OMG! I posted the other day on the exercise board because I thought I had pulled my back out (maybe I really did though). It started hurting Friday evening and I pretty much stayed in bed during the weekend watching movies (we had an ice storm and didn't have much else to do) and then Monday I didn't work out because I was afraid of hurting it more. Today I was able to swim, but not do resistance training or the other cardio I do. The hot tub felt great...lol...but I digress. I'm wondering now if this is just common and I can "work through it" versus giving it time to heal. How strange!

L
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-03, 07:56
SPOILED

Plan: Atkins Life Maintenance!
Stats: 184/152/154 Female 173 cm/5,8
BF:In right places...
Progress: 107%

Hi all,

I had this kind of pain between 2 and 3 week on the WOE. It felt so strange that I went to my Doc and guess what? It was kidneys, but the pain was radiating down to lower back. A rapid loss of water weight makes kidneys work 20000% overtime to get rid of toxins, acids etc and I have lost A LOT of water weight in the first weeks. Doc told me to drink minimum 3 liters od water every day until the pain is gone and minimum 2 liters after that. the pain was gone after just one day.
Hope you'll be OK, guys!
Take care!
Alina
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-03, 08:23

Plan: Atkins ("true" Induction since April 1)
Stats: 184.5/172/130
BF:yuck%/yuck%/yuck%
Progress: 23%
Cool

Hi -

My experience was simliar to Alina's....I had some lower back pain during my first week of Induction. I wasn't too worried about it though because I had read on these forums about possible minor kidney pain. Anyways, I also upped my water intake BIG time, and the pain went away the next day.

For me, it seems like I get the pains when I don't drink enough water and I'm eating too many salty processed meats (i.e., deli meats, salami, etc).

Anshim
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-03, 08:32

Plan: WebMD w/LC choices
Stats: 322/297/199 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 20%
I'm kinda similar to Tracy916- when I get the nasty, pains in my back and I know it's not from my exercise regimen, I know it's probably due to bloating. Usually anti-gas Maalox, Pepto or something similar will take care of it, but sometimes it's bad enough that I just have to ride it out.

I don't recall having any other types of back pains during my first few weeks- sad as that is since I only started 7 mos. ago.

Best of luck!
Nikki
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-03, 08:44
SPOILED

Plan: Atkins Life Maintenance!
Stats: 184/152/154 Female 173 cm/5,8
BF:In right places...
Progress: 107%

Just a couple of words on this:
It is very difficult to describe pain, BUT - I knew it was not muscle pain and it has nothing to do with the back pain one can get from lifting or sitting wrong. That is why I went to the Doc, because I felt strange.
Since we all drink LOTS of water, LOL there is nothing to worry about.