Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-16-02, 17:57

Plan: some kind of hodge podge
Stats: 230/230/140
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Success stories as good as Atkins?

Hi there,

I have tried to do Atkins for three or so weeks, and have been unable to stick with the under 20 carbs for longer than three days. Then I go up to 40 or 50, then I feel horrible that I cheated. I just can't seem to do it. I'm fine all day, but it's the evening meal where I lose it.

I have done a lot of research on the BFL program and am thinking about trying it. I would like to combine it with Low Carb so that I can see better results. I have been trying to lose weight for years with no success, mostly because I get very discouraged when I don't see results, and then i give up.

I am tired of wearing baggy pants and long sweaters! I really want to do this. I cannot decide now whether I should do the BFL fitness program but try to stay under 20 carbs like Atkins so I get real results, or if staying between 50 and 60 carbs a day on the BFL eating program will work and show results before I get discouraged. Does anyone have any success stories with BFL and carbs being between 50 or 60? Like length of time and weight lost in that time? It would be great to hear.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-16-02, 18:57

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: Success stories as good as Atkins?

Quote:
Originally posted by Girl-Geek
I cannot decide now whether I should do the BFL fitness program but try to stay under 20 carbs like Atkins so I get real results, or if staying between 50 and 60 carbs a day on the BFL eating program will work and show results before I get discouraged.

GG, hi and welcome to the BFL forum

If you're interested in trying BFL with LC there's a sticky atop this forum with some hints and tips on how to go about it. You'll find a few threads combing through the forum as well with successful challenge stories; itsjoyful, lisaf, homegirl, trible and more recently dewdrop come to mind.

I would like to point out two things to think about before you make up your mind about embarking on this type of program.
  • 1. You cannot sustain the type of exercise required for this program on <20g of carbs a day. This topic is covered in the stuck thread on BFL w/ LC nutrition in more depth
    2. Any program can work if you stick with it. Often results are not immediate. With heavy weight lifting it's common to build muscle before the fat is lost, this can result in a rise in scale weight. The more often you start then stop and start up again the harder it can be to lose; and the more fat you can end up having to lose. Sticking with a proven program, be it Atkins or BFL will net you results; it's really up to you. BFL is not a magic bullet; just as Atkins is not.

A possible suggestion for you; if <20g of carbs is not something you can stick to then why try? There are other LC programs out there that are not as restrictive and they work. If you click on the link on the right hand margin of every page called "Which low carb plan is right for me?" you'll get a list of different programs and a brief overview of them, including a sample menu. Protein Power and The Schwarzbein Principle come to mind as higher carb plans that you could incorporate with BFL.

Cheers,
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Dec-01-02, 02:21

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 147/128/118 Female 5'3''
BF:?/18/17
Progress: 66%

You CAN low carb while doing BFL but as Nat pointed out, you cannot do it on 20g carbs or less a day.

I found I had to up my carbs to where I was eating approx. 60 - 100g carbs a day to be able to maintain my energy levels throughout the day.

It's the KIND of carbs that you increase that is important. I had to add fruit back and, of course, increased my veggies. Also added a bit of low carb bread (sprouted grain or flax bread) but try to keep that intake to a minimum - days go by w/o any bread at all.

I agree with Nat that you might want to take a look at some other low carb plans as there might be one that suits you better than Atkins.

Good luck!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Dec-01-02, 19:20

Plan: 40/35/25
Stats: 160/160/155 Female 5'10
BF:25/23/18
Progress: 0%

Hey GG,
one thing you could try is going on induction (with light exercise) and lose a bit that way, then as you are going into the ongoing weightloss and maintenance stages you could incorporate BFL.

Personally, I lost 10 pounds in the first few weeks of induction and have not lost a pound more. HOWEVER, I have transformed fat weight into muscle weight. SO, even though the scale isnt moving, Since July 02 I have gone from a size 12 to a size 8... (not a baggy 8, but a comfy one).....

using induction could help to jumpstart the weight loss, then you gradually increase your carbs at the same time securing a successful exercise regime for yourself.

Overall, I think that what you will notice is that the amount of carbs you ate BEFORE starting any new eating plan will be dramatically decreased with a new LC WOL.

and, above all else, having patience and perseverance helps.

d