Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-15-03, 09:36

Plan: atkins
Stats: 303.5/283.5/170 Female 5'11'
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default day 3 of induction and lightheaded, too early for potassium?

ok, it's day three of induction and i'm feeling pretty tired and lightheaded. is it too early for me to consider a pottasium supplement? should i give the lightheadedness a few more days?

i'm also a bit concerned about magnesium. i take a multivite and a calcium supplement, and i'm getting about 1100 - 1200 mg of calcium daily, plus whatever i'm getting from cheese.

here's the fitday stats on potassium for the last 2 days (and for breakfast and lunch today):
12/13 - 2099.4mg
12/14 - 1651mg
12/15 - 563.58mg

and magnesium (this doesn't include whatever is included in my multivite. i'm not sure):
12/13 - 215.73mg (70% RDA)
12/14 - 204.98mg (66% RDA)
12/15 - 90.79mg (29% RDA)

oh, and if it matters, i'm averaging about 135oz of h20 a day.
thanks in advance.

Last edited by curly : Mon, Dec-15-03 at 09:53.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-15-03, 09:41

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2
Progress: 0%

by all means take potassium and cal-mag, you will feel much better and make sure you're getting lots of water too. Your body is detoxing right now, but you'll feel better soon. Getting these vitamins in food is great, but supplements are a must.

Vikki
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-15-03, 09:53

BF:

thanks for the quick reply, vikki! i'm drinking at least 135oz of water a day, so i think i'm covered there. in fact, i worry about maybe drinking too much! but i figure as long as my body is asking for it, i might as well keep giving it.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-15-03, 09:59

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2
Progress: 0%

That's a good amount you're drinking. I ran out of potassium for a few days last week and really could tell the difference when I didn't take it -- I'm just trying to stay on track over the holidays.

Vikki
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-15-03, 10:16

BF:

i found this on the web:

Quote:
Recommended daily allowance for Potassium
US RDA: 3.5g

3.5G seems REALLY high to me. i'm getting about half that from diet, but i'm wary of supplementing 2 grams fo ANYTHING. should i start with the 3x99mg per day?
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-15-03, 14:27
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

What I do is 2 pills 3x a day after each meal. It's up to you though. You might try with a low dose, then monitor how you feel and up it after. Taking more probably wouldn't hurt you, but why spend money on excess suppliments

Look for foods high in pottassium you can add to your diet. Avacados are a great induction food. They are high in fat and full of pottasium. They are out of season and nasty in stores around here atm unfortunetly. I think many meats, esp exotic ones like lamb are also high in pottasium and spinach.

Do a web search for "high pottassium" foods. Also do a search just on these boards. Almost anything you can have come from diet is absorbed and used by the body better then from suppliments. Still suppliment, you definetly need those, but try to balance diet as much as possible.

When I was around 50g carbs a day balanced with protien and fat, I was getting over 100% RDA of all my nutrients except iron. I seriously doubt most weight watchers or people on low fat diets can say that

I also think the fact I do real well at supplimenting has helped me ward off the flu the rest of my family has. I can feel myself slowly succumbing to it though. I just hope to make it through finals.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Dec-15-03, 14:59

BF:

ok, i went at lunch and picked up some metamucil caplets (thanks to whoever reccomended those to me!) and some magnesium. i could not find potassium at the store i went to. but i'm feeling better now anyways. i think i'll go by another store on the way home however, just in case. they have a better selection.

thanks for all the tips! avacadoes are killing us here for prices too, but thanks for the reccomendation. they are a great "carb value" for those on induction too.