Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Dec-04-02, 04:32
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 77/73/65
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default Staying on Induction longer...

Hi guys.

I just wanted to ask about staying on Induction past the 2 weeks.
If I were to have stalls or not lose the weight/inches to move onto OWL, would it be okay to continue on Phase 1?

How far away from goal weight would you need to be before moving on to OWL?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Dec-04-02, 06:52

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

You could stay on Induction longer. Atkins's books say "as long as you feel well". But if you don't up the carbs as in OWL, then you never find your CCLL. It's also possible that your body will get really used to the low carb level and adapt to it. Then if and probably when you do stall, you have nowhere to go back down to, to try and get things moving again.

After Induction, it is very normal and usual to not lose for a week or two as your body adjusts to the new regime. Just keep eating LC because you may notice that your clothes continue to change in how they fit, even though pounds are not changing. I hope you took lots of measurements to begin, so you can see the changes every week. If not, do it now & keep track. This is the best way to see progress.

OWL is supposed to start after 2 weeks of Induction, no matter how far you are from goal. I think "Phase I" is a Protein Power Plan term referring to the 35 grams of carbs level. (Phase II is 55 grams per day.)

The other thing to consider is that many people lose BETTER on a higher carb level than Induction. If you never raise the carb consumption, how will you know if you're one? It is better to raise the level of "good" carbs gradually than to binge or 'cheat' with sugar and starch.

This way of eating and losing fat is chemical, not just caloric. So the kind of carbs and the amount matter, but the calories from fat and protein are less important, at least at first.

#3   ^
Old Wed, Dec-04-02, 07:29

Plan: dr atkins
Stats: 182/182/155
BF:
Progress: 0%

sensible advise... I however have extended my indution for another week just to see, I think this sunday I will increase my carbs to 25 grams

It will be a struggle as already I can not fill out my carb quota

Tina
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Dec-04-02, 07:47
Registered Member

BF:

Thankyou. This is great advice.

I did take bust/waist/hip measurements when I first started (10 days before I started over after 'cheating').

In that 10 days I lost no weight but 2 inches in waist and 2 in the hips. During last week's first week start over I lost 4.5 pounds, 1 inch in the hips and 1 in the bust.

I have stopped weighing myself every day and drank 6 glasses of water today (Thanks to Tina)

I guess I will see where I am at, at the end of this week, my second week of Induction.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Dec-04-02, 07:58

Plan: dr atkins
Stats: 182/182/155
BF:

Hey so you have got the scales mania too.... I was getting to a point where after every pee I used to jump on the scales and I felt like a serial scaleaholic!!!!! I told my husband to hide the scale.... Last night while he was out I had a "thin" moment.... I think my imagination ran riot and I felt slim.... so I looked high and low for the damn scale but he has hidden it so well I could not find it at all....... When he came home I asked him for it and he said no wait till monday..... I see to think I am losing... but darn hell if I have not....

Did you have your dinner and drink your water?

Tina
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Dec-04-02, 08:03
Registered Member

BF:

Yes, dinner took 4 hours but it was well worth it
I have had 6 glasses of water and am about to have another 2. I know I should space them out during the day, but I will start that tomorrow now that I know it is a very important part of doing all this.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Dec-04-02, 11:00

Stats: 193/193/150
BF:36%/36%/23%

Quote:
Originally posted by tofi

I think "Phase I" is a Protein Power Plan term referring to the 35 grams of carbs level. (Phase II is 55 grams per day.)

I thought on your induction period you are supposed to be at 20 carbs or below? I might be mistaken in what you are reffering to?

Please explain! Thanks!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Dec-04-02, 14:47

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 268/218/165
BF:
Progress: 49%

You should only stay on induction if you have a 'large' amount of weight to lose..which you don't..why not continue on the plan correctly?? Slow and steady wins the race..what's your hurry?
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Dec-04-02, 16:08
Registered Member

BF:

I guess 50 pounds seems a lot to me, but I know that compared to some others my road ahead is far easier.
I just wasn't sure after reading the Diet Revolution book where I may be after 2 weeks Induction but I think I will consider another week on it depending what my weight and measurements are at the end of this week.

The other reason I thought about staying on a little longer is because I haven't really been drinking my water and I had that little cheat earlier on in the week. I'm sure for Induction to work properly these things are important.

Cali, I too was a bit confused about that. Could be reference to a diifferent eating plan? It is my understanding that Induction is 20g and OWL is adding another 5g?
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Dec-04-02, 16:18
Registered Member

Stats: 184.5/180.4/135 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 8%

Hi Bridget!

There seems to be a few of us from the South East corner here now.

BarB's advice is great. Have you started a journal yet? I have found it so helpful to keep track of my menu. And friendly folk drop in to encourage and correct, too which is just fantastic.

Also, if you are looking for information, the Hot Links thread in the Newbies section has an immense amount of helpful advice.

I'll look forward to catching up with you in your journal.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Dec-04-02, 16:51
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Sharon,

Great to see another Aussie on the boards

Yes I have started my journal in the buddies section because I wanted to see if I could pair up with someone and help each other.

I haven't really done up recipes since I first read the Atkins book 4 weeks ago. I had done up meal plans and carb totals, but that all went out the window when hubby decided he didn't like a lot of the foods and gives in to his sugar craves.

As I said in a previous post, I never really had a sweet tooth so that doesn't bother me but for him he gets really cranky if he doesn't have a jam tart or a wagon wheel or something.
We also have a 10 year old boy who is built like a stick, so I give him carbs to put on weight (doesn't seem to work).
That makes it harder on hubby when there are still lots of high carb foods in the house, but it doesn't really phase me.

I guess we just wing it when it comes to meal plans, but I know I should go and get some good ones from the recipe areas