Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-03, 07:11

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%
Default Stinking cold - what now - honey and lemon?

I've just come back from a carb and beer laden week long business trip to Moscow. I've brought a horrible running cold back with me as a souvenir .

Usually I would go to bed and drink honey and lemon now. I've made a hot lemon drink with sweeteners - it's not the same

Maybe I should use honey? Maybe my body needs the fast energy to fight the bugs?

What do you do when you have a cold?

(I'm taking abouit 2g of vitamin C a day and soluable aspirins by the way.)

Thanks,

Robert
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-03, 07:21
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

My theory is that carbs feed those bugs. Don't feed 'em. Here's my nasty cold MO:

- lots of herbal tea; hot liquids help clear nasal passages. If it's late at night, I'll throw in a shot of whiskey to make it a Hot Toddy.
- chicken broth or any other fairly low carb soup
- green peppers (or do you call them capsicums? ) They're loaded with vitamin C.
- raw garlic, though it's not for the faint of heart. I don't believe garlic pills cut it, I think it's the real raw garlic that kills those bugs. It's w-a-a-a-a-y cheaper, too! I chop up a clove into little pieces and swallow them with water like little pills.
- echinacaea (sp?)
- as much rest and sleep as possible

When I stick to the above rules of thumb, my cold doesn't last more than two or three days, and it doesn't spread to my chest. The latter is quite remarkable, considering that I have asthma and *every* cold I used to get would turn into bronchitis that would take weeks to get rid of. I also tend to feel much less "run down" now.

I had two very breif colds over the winter. When my co-workers were sick with the same bugs (I assume), they were sick for weeks. Another advantage of low-carbing...

Get well soon Robert!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 00:22

Thanks for the reply Kristine. I thought the post would create more interest - oh well. I'm drinking herbal tea and hot lemon drink (no honey!)

I have echinacea here but I had forgotten to take it - silly me - I'm on it now.

I'll try the garlic if we've got any in.

Thanks for the support - I feel just as bad to-day - I hope it goes away soon.

Robert
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 08:52

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%
Smile

Last time I had a cold (a while ago) I made myself a batch of homemade chicken/veggie soup. Green or Chamomile tea is also very good. A little lemon is ok.

There are also medications out there that are sugar - free. I took a decongestant to help me breath (pill form) and noticed that my cold went away far quicker than before I was LCing.

Feel better!!!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 10:06

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 260/230/150
BF:
Progress: 27%

My mom swears by crystalized vitamin C (available at most health food stores of vitamin shops, locally, Trader Joe's has the best price). Mix with a strong (fruit) flavored herbal tea with lots of sweetener. You get a big jolt of C and your body will flush what it doesn't use. Try about a teaspoon - much more than that can cause gastric distress.

Hope this helps, and hope you feel better!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 00:39

Thanks for your advice and best wishes everyone. The cold has now become flu and I have a fever and it's going to my chest. I didn't know one could get a cold and flu at the same time. I picked this up in Moscow last week.

I'm on 2000mg of vitamin C a day, paracetamol to lower my temperature, echinacea and all my usual suppliments. I'm also drinking herbal tea and hot lemon drink (sf).

Like most men, I only have two states. Fit as a fiddle and near death - I'm at the latter point now.

Robert
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-24-03, 22:35

Plan: 35-65 net carbs
Stats: 362/281.8/150 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

get better robert...

my doctor told me this , ( as i too have been battling a bug) to "give" up my diet until i got well focus on gettin nutrients and getting better and then when i got well to go at it again 300%... it seemed to have worked... im well ... after eating chicken noodle soup, gatorade and crackers, and tons of rest...

then i started my woe back the next week and noticed i lost 4 lbs that week!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-03, 04:15

Thanks for the kind wishes and advice everyone. I'm now feeling better. I still have a touch of bronchitis but on the whole I'm feeling much better.

The irony is I've lost weight.

Robert