Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-04, 08:54

Plan: Atkins, keto
Stats: 230/230/150 Female 67.5"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default 50 Pounds or More Losers & Exercise

I posted this on another thread, but I really would like some replies. How many of you who have lost a great deal of weight have exercised regularly while doing so?

I know it's important for health, and that I have to do it, but it sure is hard to get motivated. I have a membership at 24 Hour Fitness here, and their gym is so crowded you can't get in. They are in the process of building a really nice, new, huge one just down the road but it won't be open until mid-summer.

Also, like so many of you, I am a very busy woman. Once I get to the gym, if I can access some of the machines, I'm very happy to work out. But getting there is half the battle.

Advice? Motivation? Inspiration? Help?

Come on, all you winning losers, let me hear from you, please!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-04, 09:11

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 260/197/150 Female 5'7
BF:52/42.5/28
Progress: 57%

Hi there - and first of all, congrats on your loss so far!

I realize how difficult it is to get motivated to exercise, but I have been so pleased with my results that I've become almost addicted to working out. Though I've had some stalls on the scales, I've lost a lot of inches at a fairly steady rate. I know that exercise has been key - I started just walking my dog. I'm busy too - but I now get up extra-early and hit my gym in the morning before work. As a night person, this has been a real change to my routine but it's definitely worth it. I used to say I had no time, but you'd be amazed at how easily you can find time if you really want to. If you have kids, just take them out for a long walk - for me, it was my dog who benefited. I took him out every night last fall for a 4 km walk and we both got quite fit.

They say that if you can stick to something for 3 months, it becomes routine and then it's easy to keep up. So challenge yourself with that - just 12 weeks of regular exercise. Picture yourself fit and sleek. Look on the photo pages on this forum for inspiration. I was 260 pounds last July and I'm 201 today. You and I - our stats are so similar, and if I can do it, you can do it!!!!! Check out your gym at different times of the day to see when it is least busy - mine is crazy at night after work, which is another reason why I go in the morning.

PM me or write in this forum, and keep telling yourself how successful you will be. Picture it and you will be it! Use all the resources here - you'll always find motivation and inspiration.

Good luck - keep us posted!

Laura
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-04, 09:58

Plan: atkins
Stats: 250/194.5/140 Female 5' 9
BF:too high i am sure
Progress: 50%

i do my workouts at home with tapes, i do step areobics with cher hehehe, it's an old tape but oh man it's a good one, that way i never have to leave my home to workout, no driving no added time =)
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-04, 10:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 268/200/190 Male 5'9
BF:28%/14%/8%
Progress: 87%

I believe that exercise has helped me loose faster. Just like the poster above, I have had stall in weight loss (like right now) but the inches are still coming off at a steady rate.

Keeping your heart rate up helps burn fat and kicks up the metabolism. The best way to get started is to grab some music and hit the sidewalks. Get lost in the music and you'll be shock when you realize how far you have gone!’
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-04, 10:26

Stats: 250/205/180 Female 69 in
BF:
Progress: 64%

Hi Susan

I recently took up jogging... I don't know what your situation (some people have bad knees and it's a little too high impact, etc), but a really fast power walk that uses your arms (pump them!) is GREAT exercise. Especially if you live in an area with hills...

Are there any pieces of equipment that are often empty that you're avoiding b/c you just don't like them? There usually tends to be a treadmill/bike or two that's usually open even at the busiest times...
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-04, 10:27

Plan: Own LC
Stats: 247/166/155 Female 5'3"
BF:lots
Progress: 88%

I work out at home too. I do my areobic tape one day and the next I use my exercise ball. I am a stay at home mom with a soon to be 3 year old and soon to be 2 year old.

It may not be as good as getting to the gym but it's better than nothing. I hope you find something that works for you.

Kat
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-04, 10:41
aka Celestine

Stats: 247/185/160 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

I have not done any formal exercise up to this point, although I am pretty active in my job, as far as running around and staying busy goes. I am sure, though, that I would be further along in my weight loss if I were exercising - have experienced a stall of a few months, then lost only a few more pounds.

I have been procrastinating about starting an exercise program, but am thinking about checking out "Curves" based on all the good things I have heard about it on this forum. Maybe you should read about it here. It's not too expensive, is just for women, and sounds like a relatively painless way to get going with some exercise.

Liz
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-04, 10:49

Stats: 259/200/159 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 59%

I have lost 60 pounds without exercising. I will begin walking an hour a day shortly. The reason is this. The last time I lost 50 pounds, I did it by a combination of walking and reduced eating. I then had a medical condition that kept me from walking for a period of time and I immediately gained weight back. I did not change eating habits but without exercising I gained. Therefore, I don't want my weight loss to be completely dependent on exercise because there will be times and periods in our life when we cannot exercise. It is important and I will start soon. I believe the book said that in the initial part of the weight loss, exercise isn't as important as later. Plus, I heard when you hit those several month stalls, that either starting to exercise or increasing exercise will jump start the metabolism. I figure I am long overdue for a stall soon. I am a believer in exercise, however, this fad exercise is worse. You need to pick something that you will stick with for life, such as walking. If you join curves, or anything else, just to lose weight, guess what will happen when you stop? That said, there are people who cannot lose without exercise. It is an individual thing and what works for one may not work for another. To be healthy, you must exercise. I know I feel better mentally and physically when I do.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-04, 11:16
Fit and Happy

Stats: 273/145/160 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:49%/24%/24%
Progress: 113%

I have been exercising since a month into Atkins and I've been on it 9 months on April 1st. I really believe in exercise and I would not have lost as fast as I have without exercising 5-7 days per week for about an hour each session. I started out walking just a mile and now I can run 2-4 miles per day. I also do workout videos for strength training and cardio. Exercise really helps tone you up so you have less "sagginess", too.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-04, 11:23
Registered Member

Stats: 210/171/135 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

OMG, I've never exercised REALLY until a couple of months ago. I joined CURVES, and it is the BEST!

I lost my first 50 lbs w/out exercising, but this time I felt I had to exercise....

There's a Curves on my way home. It's a NO-BRAINER. You go in a cirle and do 30 seconds cardio (running in place, etc), then jump to a machine that doesn't use weights. You're in and out in 30 minutes. I'm actually addicted, which is really amazing. Some people think it's not challenging after a while, but if you've never exercised like me, then it's perfect. It does actually make you want to start exercising more often...I've been thinking of ways I can exercise when I'm NOT at Curves.

I HIGHLY recommend it!!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-04, 11:37

Plan: Atkins 72 Version
Stats: 175.5/123.5/115 Female 5'3 I grew an Inch!
BF:??/21%/19-20%
Progress: 86%

I have lost 50.5lbs since August and exercise 3 days a week at a gym and 2 days at home. I take Saturday and Sunday as off days!

I think it has helped with weight loss!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-04, 16:06

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

I lost 50 lbs fairly steadily and quickly (8 months) doing no exercise to speak of. My loss has slowed substantially now and so I have started exercising...I'm also starting to get close to goal so am interested in toning up. I think there will come a time when you will WANT to exercise and will find the time and motivation all on your own.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-04, 16:34

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/165/135 Female 5ft4
BF:
Progress: 54%

instead of joining a gym and getting locked into high monthlyl fees, why not invest in some free weights? they are just as effective, if not more effective, than the machines at the gym. it's money spent, yes, but it's a very good investment and you don't have to pack up, get in your car and make as much of a point to do it. you can do it at home easily.

you might want to check out some of joyce vedrall's books. she gives great weight routines(don't look at her eating plans, they are not low carb) that are really easy to do, and i have seen people do them with results in weeks.

also the FIRM series is a great way to work out; they incorperate weights and cardio. i would suggest using the first three classic exercise videos, because they just use dumbells and they have great explanations as to what body parts you're working out, and when you get used to those, you can go to the newer videos with the step up box. they are all safe, excellent workouts.

walking is also a good thing to do; it comes naturally and all you need is a sidewalk and some good shoes!!

good luck!!