Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-11-02, 11:44
Registered Member

Plan: Shark Cycle Plan
Stats: 410/323/250
BF:
Progress: 54%
Default Flax-O-Meal Pancake & Pizza Crust Mix Reviews

OK, time for a couple of product reviews. Both these are Low Carb Success brands ordered off lowcarbmall.

Before I start, I want to address low carb products in general. If you have the expectation that these products will taste the SAME as the normal carb-filled product you need to adjust you expectations, just like the fat free foods and "fake" meats don't taste as good as the originals. How I judge these is afterward, do I feel "deprived" that I couldn't have the original? Was this an adequate substitute that helps me stay on the diet?

The first is the Flax-O-Meal Butter Pecan Pancake & Waffle Mix. The first time we tried this mix, they fell apart as we tried to flip them over with a spatula. This last week we bought a "flip over" 2 sided pan which allows you to shut the pan and flip it over so you don't need a spatula. It made all the difference in the world. The flavor is good and it has a very pancake like consistancy. The only drawback is that it is still somewhat high in carbs (25 for 2 5" diameter pancakes), so by the time I added some low carb syrup and peanut butter, it checked out at 30 carbs. Now this is OK if I am pretty much carb free for the rest of the day, or am working hard doing home improvement stuff. The $7 mix makes 18 pancakes.

Grade:

Next up was the Flax-O-Meal Pizza crust. I was really looking forward to this since Pizza was the food I was having the most trouble emulating. I was not disappointed. The Italian Herb mix smelled great when it was in dough form, and made a tasty pizza crust. The $7 mix makes 2 pizzas. The only caviat I had was that I had to keep the pieces small so it would support the loads of pepperoni and cheese I had on it. Half a pretty good size pizza was 21 carbs, and that was more than enough to satisfy this 350 lb monster

Grade:

We will obviously buy these again
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-19-02, 17:19

Plan: Southbeach (Phase 2)
Stats: 162/160/130 Female 5'3"
BF:32/%/?/20%
Progress: 6%

Hi Shark!

Have you tried the Flax O Meal Apple Spice Pancakes? At a total carb count of 9 grams for 2 pancakes- subtract out the fiber (3gms) and the sugar alcohols (2gms) you get 2 effective carbs.

I think they are great too! But I haven't tried the Butter Pecan pancakes, however, I do have the Butter Pecan Flax o meal hot cereal which I LOVE! Only 2 carbs per serving.

FWIW-Cheers!

Judi
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-19-02, 23:35
Registered Member

Plan: low-carb avoid sugar
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5"2
BF:
Default What Flax O Meal have you tried? What's your favorite??Talk me into one!

Vanilla Almond??
Cinnamon Spice??
Butter Pecan??

Who likes what I can't decide which flavor to buy from greenbeanz.com

Can you guys tell how cereal obsessed I am

It's almost funny.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-20-02, 11:55
Registered Member

BF:

Judi,
Haven't tried the other flavor but I know I will get there eventually
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-20-02, 12:00
Registered Member

BF:
Talking yummy

where did you get the flax o meal pizza crust or did you make it?

Kellser

ps-> I love info like this, that's for taste testing!!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-20-02, 12:02
Registered Member

BF:
Unhappy Nevermind!

I will call myself el dorko on the where did you get it q!! I re-read and will now go purchase at lowcarbmall!

Thanks again.

Kellser
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-20-02, 16:17
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Folks, keep in mind that all Plans agree that fiber is deductible from total carbohydrates, but NOT all Plans agree that maltitol (or sugar alchohols or polyols or triols... etc. etc.) is fully deductible.

Use the Tools:Hidden Carb Inspector to get a more fully accurate carb count...
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-20-02, 19:49
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by IslandGirl
Folks, keep in mind that all Plans agree that fiber is deductible from total carbohydrates

I personally don't agree with this statement, you are still eating X amount of carbs whether you "subtract" them or not. But the next time I go to Krispy Kreme I'll be sure to subtract some carbs
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Aug-21-02, 14:56

Butter Pecan is the best IMHO....THe flax o meal pancakes are good too....I have the apple spice, banana nut and butter pecan, they are all excellent!!!
Judi
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Aug-21-02, 19:31
Registered Member

BF:
Talking yummy yum yum

Thanks so much for the recommendation! I was worried the board would leave me hanging!! Butter pecan does sound yummy.

Whew-hoo, Im off to hunt for flax.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Aug-21-02, 20:00

Tally-Ho!!!!
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Aug-24-02, 15:38
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Lightbulb

On the subject of subtracting fiber grams from total carb grams .. Judi [IslandGirl] is correct. Dietary fiber is not absorbed, therefore it does not contribute caloric nor carb energy. So, most low-carbers choose to subtract fiber when planning their carb budget for the day.

However, some folks do include fiber in their daily carb totals. Which is fine .. that's the way Atkins Diet Revolution (1975) and his New Diet Revolution (1992) were planned. If you've calculated your CCL based on carb levels including fiber, then by all means continue to do that.

In 1995 however, the Drs. Eades of Protein Power introduced the idea of subtracting fiber grams, achieving what they call effective carb count (ECC). Since October 2000, Atkins has also approved subtracting fiber grams, calling the result Net Atkins carbs

This isn't exclusive to low-carb diets though. Nutritionists and consumer groups across North America have been calling for more accurate food labelling. This includes accurate energy value, ie .. calories. So, it's been proposed that fiber not be included when calculating the calories in a food. In other words, fiber will be subtracted from the total carb grams. Many food manufacturers have begun doing this voluntarily, as it's not yet law. This is true in both the USA and in Canada. I believe the UK and EU are already doing this.

From Atkins' official website, here's what he says about subtracting fiber:
Quote:
The Carbs That Count

.... Let's compare a cookie made of white flour and sugar with a couple of fiber-rich crackers. Both contain 10 grams of carbs, but there the similarity ends. Eat the cookie and you'll send all 10 grams of carbs coursing into your bloodstream. But when you chomp into the crackers (which have, say, 4 grams of fiber) only 6 of those 10 grams impact on your blood sugar. Basically, you can deduct the grams of fiber from the food's total carb count. The net number of grams are the carbs that count when you do Atkins. In the case of those crackers, you got a 4 gram free ride.

.... And determining which carbs count is simple: Check the total fiber grams listed on the food label and subtract that number from the total grams of carbohydrate listed. (read more ...)

And the Eades of Protein Power:
Quote:
What do you mean when you say "effective carbohydrate content"?

It is the total carbohydrate content of the food minus the fiber portion. Carbohydrate calculations for food labeling includes the fiber. However, fiber isn’t absorbed and should not be counted as a carbohydrate for the purpose of weight loss. We have a table in the book that lists the effective carbohydrate content of foods.

http://eatprotein.com/answers1.html#1e

Hope this is helpful

Doreen