Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Oct-22-03, 16:46

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default A Revelation - Spaghetti Squash

I tried some spaghetti squash for the first time ever and it's amazing ! I served it with some spicy tomato sauce and lots of parmesan. It was great, the texture was very very close to angel hair pasta cooked a la dente.

While not carb-free it's much better than pasta. You get rid of your pasta craving all for the low price of 10 carbs.

My next project is to make some Pad Thai with it. It's going to be awesome !
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Oct-22-03, 18:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Hey share that Pad Thai recipe please 8>) I have 2 huge Sp. Squash, Love it, all kinds of ways, and just with butter and fresh ground pepper.
Kathy
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-22-03, 19:42

BF:

I don't have one, guess that's why it's a projet, lol. I usually would do the one on the back of those Pad Thai spice paste. I'll have to check one out to see if it's not filled with hydrogenated crap and sugar.

I'll let you know what I dig up
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-22-03, 21:29

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 151/148/125 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 12%

Mmm I have 1/2 of one inthe fridge I need to eat up. I wonder how long til those things go bad? My favorite way to eat it is with butter and salt and pepper. I havent tried it any other way though. Added some parmesan once, wasnt too bad either. My mom likes to put sugar and butter and I think cinnamon on it. Or maybe its butter, sugar, and brown sugar...I dont know
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Oct-26-03, 08:46

Plan: starting over.. again
Stats: 194/173/150 Female 4'11"
BF:
Progress: 48%
Lightbulb freeze it!

mine has lasted quite a few days in the frig.... but when i have extra... i freeze it. thaw and go on to the next recipe. yep... i gotta try it with pad thai.
~catherine
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-30-03, 18:30

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 283/179/150 Female 68"
BF:
Progress: 78%

I made this spaghetti squash recipe that was very tasty and even cooked the spag. squash and shredded it the night before for a fast meal.

Layer cooked spaghetti squash with tomato sauce, ricotta, mozz, cooked beef if desired, and parmesan and mushrooms. Bake until bubbly. My mother in law who never had squash before loved it!!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 14:44
Registered Member

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 159/132/135 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 113%

I TRYED SPAGHETTI SQUASH NOT TOO LONG AGO, COOKED IT JUST LIKE IT SAID TO. IT WAS TERRIBLY SWEET COULDN'T EAT IT AS A MAIN COURSE. ENDED UP GIVING IT TO MY DOG, GOODNESS THAT DOG WILL EAT ANYTHING.
DID I DO SOMETHING WRONG :
CUT IT IN HALF SCOOPED OUT THE SEEDS, PUT IT CUT SIDE DOWN ON A BAKING DISH WITH ABOUT 1/2 INCH OF WATER, BAKED IT FOR 40 MIN AT 350. TOOK IT OUT SCRAPED IT WITH A FORK.IT LOOKED LIKE NOODLES BUT IT SURE DIDN'T TASTE LIKE IT.

DAWNA
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 10:47

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

It's great with spaghetti sauce (I often layer it with ground beef and mozzarella, as described above).

But the only way I've ever gotten my DH to eat it (and even company!) is to cook it the regular way, then warm it up with butter and a "glug" of SF maple syrup. Kind of tastes like candied yams at Thanksgiving. I've even sprinkled a little cinnamon and nutmeg on it. Very very good.

Oops! Edited to say that I don't know how long it keeps in the fridge (several days at least), but uncooked on the counter, it seems to last forever. I had one on my counter for probably 4 months before cooking it once. After a while it just started looking like part of the decor rather than dinner!

Last edited by BawdyWench : Sat, Nov-01-03 at 10:48.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 21:25

Stats: 285.4/278.2/170 Female 69
BF:
Progress: 6%

I just tried spaghetti squash this evening for the first time...LOVED it!

I added butter, salt, chopped chives, and 1 tbsp sour cream...re-heated in the microwave...DELICIOUS!

Murphy...mine was not sweet at all. Was the texture of yours "al dente" or soft? Maybe it was too "done". I found similiar directions online on how to prepare it, but opted for the microwave method for 20 minutes (I have a smaller microwave) because I didn't not want it to get "mushy" (have been baking acorn squash for years...the longer you bake it, the mushier and sweeter it gets).

Sherry
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Nov-01-03, 21:40

Stats: 206/144/135 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 87%

I LOVE spaghetti squash. I tried a new recipe last week -- Spaghetti Squash Chicken Alfredo-- YUMMMMM! I love it with tomato alfredo sauce (made it that way pre-LC) but I need to find a lower carb replacement for the sauce now. Perhaps when I get to maintenance I won't have to worry so much about the tomato sauce, but now-- I MISS it!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Nov-06-03, 18:53

BF:

I tried spaghetti squash again today. I bought some veal that I dipped in egg white and then a mixture of parmesan and ground almonds. I fried them up a little bit in a mixture of oil and butter. I put them in a dish, covered it up with spaghetti sauce and cheese and put in the oven at 300 for 25 minutes.

The spaghetti squash was cooked and mixed with more sauce and served sprinkled with parmesan.

It was delicious ! My DH had never tasted spaghetti squash before and he LOVED it.

This is better than pasta. It has a wonderful a la dente texture. I looked at the nutritional stats for it and they are great. About 10 carbs for a cup with 2 grams of fibers and lots of vitamins and minerals. Nothing like the empty calories of pasta !!
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Nov-09-03, 11:34
Registered Member

Stats: 185/155/120
BF:????
Progress: 46%

I grew spagetti squash this summer so I got about 20 of them in my cold room!! I had some last night, cut in half, filled with a can of tomato soup, topped with mozzarella cheese, and done in the mic for about 20 mins. It's very yum, and easy too. Here is a link to a really strange, but really delicious desert with spagetti squash. I made this and brought it to work with me, and everyone thought it was a rice pudding or something. No one guessed it was spagetti squash.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/cgi-bin/recipe/recipe.cgi?action=view_recipe&id=5530&recipe=Weresome's%20Fantastic%20Speghetti%20Squash%20Dessert&category=Desserts%20and%20Sweets

You might have to copy and paste this address in your address thingy

Last edited by Karen : Sun, Nov-09-03 at 12:01.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Nov-09-03, 11:59
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

That's a cool idea! There's been a recipe for coconut cream pie with spaghetti squash floating around here.

I added the hyperlink to the recipe in your post for easier navigation.

Karen