Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-09-02, 07:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 154/126/126
BF:
Progress: 100%
Talking Red Wine Binges And Weight Loss???!!!!

I have a question for everyone.

Does excessive red wine react somehow in your body to burn up fat? Silly question I know, I do know that the body prefers to burn alcohol first before anything else, but.....

I have examples of times when I have gone to a party or out to dinner and gone a little overboard on the red wine (it's always red wine mind you, no other alcohol! if that makes a difference) and either the next morning or the following morning I am 1-2lbs lighter.

During induction I was actually away on holiday and as hubby and I like our red wine I did drink a little every day, in fact one day a little more than little and I still lost 8lbs during induction. Now I must say I wouldn't recommend it because eating LC and overdoing the alcohol actually makes me feel really poorly, more than before my LC WOE, and it takes me longer to recover!

Then twice now I've gone to a party had a fair amount of red wine and lots of food, ie over 2000 calories worth, then the next day I've eaten maybe 1400 calories worth, as you can imagine the appetite was not there!!!!! , then the next day I've lost 1-2lbs, and this is after a mini stall!!!!!

In between induction (beginning February) and recently, I avoided the wine, thinking it would stall me but now I'm not so sure. Anyone have a likely scientific explanation, maybe Rustpot knows something we don't know?????????

PP does allow a glass with your meal, but we are talking more than a glass

Thanks all
Banana
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-09-02, 07:42

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Wine has a tendacy to dehydrate you as any alcohol.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-09-02, 08:40
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

...could also just be a coincidence. I ended up bingeing a bit yesterday - I ate a whole can of pringles. It was a 2100 calorie day. You'd think, because of all that salt and carbs, I'd have retained a lot of water. But no, I'm down two pounds. So who knows? We can't predict our bodies and the weight on the scale as well as we think we can. Enjoy your red wine in moderation - you're close enough to your goal.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-09-02, 10:51

Stats: 293/288.2/199 Female 5 foot 11 inches
BF:38%/??/25%
Progress: 5%
Default REd Wine

OK this may be dumb but how many carbs does red wine have. I know that beer(miller lite) was 3 carbs per bottle. So what does wine have, less?? And does it matter what kind of red wine, is one less than the others. I am going out this Sat. and my friend chose an Itlalian rest. (death) I have looked at the menu online and I have plannned to have salad and chicken marsala with mushrooms and none of the pasta. I was going to drink Miller Lite but I like red wine so maybe I could do that too!!

If anyone knows the info would help alot
Thanks Sonja
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-09-02, 11:02

Stats: 222/209/150 Female 5' 6.5"
BF:39%/34.6%/24%
Progress: 18%

Red wine has 72 calories per serving (3.5 oz glass) and one gram of carbs. Make sure it is DRY. I have a couple glasses during the week, for the health benefits of course...And be aware that your body will use the alcohol as fuel instead of your own fatty acids.

-Shelly
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-09-02, 11:04

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

Soinwi,

On the right hand of your screen there is a "Quick Links" section. At the bottom is a Carbohydrate Counter.

Using that: a glass of red table wine (3.5 oz) has 1.75grams of carbs.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-09-02, 11:05

Stats: 293/288.2/199 Female 5 foot 11 inches
BF:38%/??/25%
Progress: 5%
Lightbulb Thanks

Thanks for the quick response!!! Only 1 grram of carbs is awesome!! I only plan on a limited amount of wine. Don't want to be hung over for my 2nd Mothers Day!!!! That would not be cool.

Thanks again
Sonja