Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-03, 18:15
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 181/148/134 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%
Unhappy starvation mode?

Could this possibly be the reason I'm not loosing weight. I have trouble eating 20 carbs perday and after reading a few recent posts about starvation mode I'm wondering if this might be it. Can eating under 20 carbs per day cause this...and would this also give me the o ketone result today.
I am anxious to find out the cause so that I can get on with it!

Just wondering if others have experienced this?
I have felt a little woozy and a few headaches also.

I can't thank everyone enough for all the helpful info as I'm struggling along!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-03, 18:37

Plan: My own--atkins like
Stats: 188/188/135 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default are you eating enough fat?

I have found that my body thinks it's starving whenever I don't eat enough fat. (I have to keep reminding myself that good fats are okay--years of low-fat brainwashing to overcome!)

Also, it's my understanding that if you don't eat enough fat, you won't have excess ketones to spill over.

I get headaches when my carbs are too low--I need to eat some carbs at every meal. Since I'm no longer on induction, I try to eat around 10 to 15 grams of carbs at each meal. That helps me.

HTH you.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-03, 18:57
Registered Member

BF:
Exclamation

perhaps you are onto something...but with me I think it might be more the carbos than the fat. Lunch today I had left over roast chicken with mayo. So I did have the fat. An hour or so after lunch I had a headache....so I think I'm going to concentrate on getting my carb intake up through out the day!
Thanks for the insight...Thats why I love this forum.There is always someone that has a little piece of info for you!!!!!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-03, 19:09
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi there Milmndude,

"Starvation mode" usually refers to the number of calories eaten (or not eaten! ).

From time to time, I've seen members post that their weight loss starts off well, then slows down and stops and it turns out that they are only eating about 1000 cals or less. Most of us need at least 10 cals per pound of body weight.

Not that I'm suggesting you not increase your carbs. We are all individuals, and if more carbs make you feel better, by all means have some more. Just make sure the carbs come from healthy sources such as vegies, rather than sugars. I have also seen many folk find their weight loss is better once they've increased their carbs.

Cheers!

Rosebud
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-03, 19:14

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: starvation mode?

Quote:
Originally posted by milmndude
I have trouble eating 20 carbs perday and after reading a few recent posts about starvation mode I'm wondering if this might be it.
Milmndude, the term 'stavation mode' gets bandied about a lot but it's not well explained or understood most of the time. It can actually takes weeks of consistently eating below your basal metabolic rate before this state sets in. If you have a history of eating very low calories it can take less time, however.

Try to eat every few hours (never go longer than 5 is I believe what Dr. A recommends) and try to include some type of protein in all your meals. You should be safe then.

HTH
Nat
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-20-03, 20:34
Registered Member

BF:

thanks again for the imput. Perhaps I am not eating often enough during the day. I will also try that. I certainly don't feel like I'm starving.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-03, 04:30

Stats: 272/262/200 Male 6 feet 1 inch
BF:
Progress: 14%

Are you still in induction?

When I was in induction I cut my caffiene intake by about 75%. This caused me to have headaches for the first week or two.

Just a thought.