Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 11:13

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 120/???/113 Female 5ft 3 inches
BF:18.8/18.8/15
Progress: 63%
Default CKD...could someone point me in the right direction?

I guess I am trying to take the easy way out. I read the whole CKD thread and I am still in need of a little help. My attention is always split between a 1 yr old, 3 yr old and this computer, hard to really study ya know?

I was hoping for a little help. It needs to be pretty simple for me to follow, but I would like to try the CKD. I am currently doing Atkins. I have a hard time staying on the wagon because of lack of energy and, well, I like to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I like to look forward to a carb day. I have a hard time getting into ketosis. I started back on Sunday and just got there today. I can do the low carb thing w/o much help. I am worried about the carb up thing...it seems really complicated.

Has anyone done the CKD w/o being so strict with ratios? I mean, can I do my normal Atkins thing and then carb up after my Saturday morning workout and do it till sunday afternoon and then go back on Atkins? Can someone give me a general idea of what to eat durning carb up? Can it be more simple than counting carbs, fats and protien and still work. I am not interested in making things much more complicated than they are now. For instance...can I eat skittles and sweet potatos and cereal for 24 hours and then start Atkins again?

I workout 6 days a week and I am trying reduce my body fat a little. I do BFL for weights and spinning and running for the cardio.

Am I asking too much of you? I hope not, everyone is usually very helpful....
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 12:23
Contributing Member

Plan: CKD - TKD
Stats: 270/265/240 Male 70 in
BF:
Progress: 17%

Hey Serena, personally, I think it can be that simple. If you aren't doing this in preps for a show than it doesn't have to be that strict to work. I've done both ways, strict and laid-back with very similar results. When I tried it with just eating anything on the wknds, it actually helped with moral and made it less stressful for me. Of course you don't want to go beserk but I remember reading Lyle's 20 wk report and recall that he ate to the brink of not being able to move and still lose fat. I've carbed up for 24, 36, 48 hrs and the weight will still come off. I generally try to keep my carbups on the leaner side staying away from fats.

As for the time it takes you to get into ketosis, that's about how long it takes me. Usually by the end of the 2nd day, I'll begin to see trace amts of ketones. Don't sweat it, sometimes I'll get there earlier and sometimes later. You'll definitely learn a lot about how your body works and it's timing....

word of advice to keep in mind, you might encounter stalls or what will appear to be a stall, if you aren't using a tape measure at that point, switch to it. the tale of the tape is sometimes more accurate than the scale. another thing is as the closer you come to your goal weight, the harder it will be for the fat to want to leave. it's just a biological script.

hope this helps good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 10:27

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 120/???/113 Female 5ft 3 inches
BF:18.8/18.8/15
Progress: 63%

Thank you for responding. I haven't weighed myself since last Thurday (that's the longest I can remember going w/o weighing). I will weigh Friday morning and make my decision from there. I may thry carbing up this weekend. Anyone kno wwhere I can get a list of foods to use? I know skittles and some cereals (not sure which). I am looking forward to having a sweet potato in the 2nd 12 hours (I will carb up for 24 hrs).

Any more tips or ideas for foods? Please send them my way!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-28-03, 11:22
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 152/147/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 19%

Hi!
I too would like to know a list of foods to eat.
Pam
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Oct-26-03, 19:56
Registered Member

Plan: Bodyopus - Varied
Stats: 215/210/190 Male 5'11"
BF:~8%
Progress: 20%

Basically for the carb-up you want to go back to your "high carb/moderate protein/low fat" diet that everyone know's as the Modern Diet. With high GI cabs in the 1st 24 hours (liquid, candy, cereal, etc...) to lower GI carbs in the 2nd 24 hours (pastas, starches, etc...). As a bench mark, the maximum number of carbs you want to take in the 1st 24 hours is 16g per KG of lean body mass, and for the 2nd 24 hours it's 9g per KG of lean body mass. Using that as a simple guide should yield you some great results. Good luck.

Sporto