Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 15:39
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 138/126/120 Female 5'4
BF:26%
Progress: 67%
Default Stalled -- should I cut calories, or wait it out?

Hi Everyone,

I had a great two-week induction, with a nine-pound loss, and then entered what I guess is a fairly predictable post-induction stall. About ten days on, I'm still stalled. Here's my question: I'm still eating nothing but induction foods (I like them), no nuts, dairy, artificial sweeteners or Frankenfoods, tons of water, taking supplements, and I'm keeping carbs at or under 20 grams, all from vegetables. The ketostix are turning purple. I feel fine. But I'm eating about 1,800-2,000 calories a day -- as I was during induction -- and I'm wondering if this is just too much. Frankly, I get really, really hungry on less, ketosis or no ketosis. In fact, even at this level I'm still feeling pretty hungry, which is odd -- I wasn't really hungry at all during the first two weeks. I work out daily and am quite active, so I reckon I'm burning about 2,500 calories a day, or at least that's what Fitday thinks. Would you guys recommend cutting back on the calories, or should I just keep going as I am and be patient? I don't want to get so hungry that I'm miserable or prone to binging, but I don't want to kid myself that I'm doing the right thing if I'm just plain overeating.

And does anyone have any idea why I'm so hungry? Here's what I ate today:

Breakfast: 6 oz. Smoked Trout
Lunch: Medium hamburger with tomato, 1T mayonnaise and 2 c. field greens with a dash of olive oil, 1 clove garlic
Dinner: 8 oz. Chicken stir-fried with 1 c. spinach in 1 T each olive oil and mayonnaise
Snack: Medium can of tuna with 2T mayonnaise

Seems to me that should fill me up, but here I am reading low-carb recipes on this site and positively drooling! What's up with that?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 16:21

Stats: 282.6/273.1/225 Male 6' 3"
BF:34/33/17%
Progress: 16%

I would wait it out.

I've been doing 2200-2500 calories per day the last 3 months and haven't had any problems losing the weight.

Make sure you're drinking enough water.

You could always add some more working out to burn more calories as well.

That's what I've done to break two stalls. I added another 40min of exercycle to each day until they broke.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 16:28
Memere to 4

Stats: 227/199/150 Female 5ft 3in
BF:Too much
Progress: 36%

Hi Selena....with only 9 lbs left till goal weight...the lbs will come off very slowly. IMHO... It's not a good idea to stay on induction as you should be learning to eat for a lifestyle not just weight loss. Have you read DANDR?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 16:48
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/gastric bypass
Stats: 278/130/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 94%

I had to increase my exercise until the scale moved. It was stuck for 3 weeks. I am close to goal so after a good loss like that your body needs time to adjust. If you dont want to up the exercise just wait it out. If you stop eating when comfortably full your ok. I have been on Atkins 2 months last two days Ive been starving, some days Im hungier. I grab my pork rinds and maybe eat a few vienna sausages or have a glass of Carb countdown milk
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 23:22
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 142/135/115 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress:

have you tried adding some metabolism boosting spices to you foods? try jalepeno peppers with your meat salads, or ginger, or horseradish with meats, cayenne with anything! you also don't mention if you are eating fats, it is important o keep eating healthy fats (like olive oil) to supress hunger and boost fat burning. just my opinion!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-21-04, 23:28
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 142/135/115 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress:

also...why not stay on induction if you are satisfied with the variety and still losing weight? i usually start with atkins old induction plan for two weeks, then use the current one for at least a month! if you still feel good keep doing it! just looked at you meal posting, you are probably hungry because you work out a lot! (kudos!) but if you are still hungry, just eat more!! with the amount you work out, the calories (if they are from the right food) shouldn't hurt you!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 11:51
Registered Member

Plan: Cudmore
Stats: 342/310/180 Male 68
BF:34
Progress: 20%

Here are a couple of tips. First, eat frequent small meals and snacks. Instead of eating three squares try to eat 4-6 small meals spaced out every 3 to 4 hours. Second, exercise and if you have been exercising for a while change your routine.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 13:00

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 138/115/115 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Selena, just wondering if your body is currently using all that good food to build muscle and even biochemicals etc. I am just about the same weight....but look sooooo much different. I knew this would happen to me. My metabolism would heal and THEN the weight would start to come off. I can't ever make it thru induction though i do tend to stay locarb. I bet the way my body is right now that if i did make it thru induction, i would get to goal in a couple weeks and then would have a time where i got smaller but weighed the same. now that i have just gone on and on in no direction?? my Q to you is: is your body shape changing?? take care...love keeping up with your posts!!K
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 14:04
Registered Member

Stats: 138/126/120 Female 5'4
BF:26%
Progress: 67%

Okay, since no one here seems to be worried that I'm just eating too many calories, I guess I'll just keep going like this and see what happens. Yes, I'm drinking loads of water, and I love chiles, so I'll try adding those (do they really boost metabolism?) ... I'll try to shake up my workout routine a bit and maybe add an extra 15 minutes of cardio every day. BCbeauty: Yes, I've read DANDR, but here's the deal: I'm staying away from dairy because I think I have an intolerance (always makes the TMJ flare up), and nuts scare me, because I'm definitely one of those people who can't just have a small handful: If I start, I finish the whole bowl. Living in France, there basically aren't any special low-carb products. I'm getting all my carbs from vegetables, which I like because you get a lot of bulk for the price. What would you suggest I add, if anything? Berries, maybe? I'd rather eat a big head of broccoli than a wee little teacup of berries, so unless there's a really strong argument for introducing new foods, do you think I'll do myself any nutritional harm by sticking to meat and vegetables and oils?

As for whether my shape is changing -- not really in the past 10 days or so, but I'm aware that this is a long-term project, not a crash diet. As long as what I'm doing will work sooner or later, I can be patient.

Thanks for the encouragement, folks!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 17:54

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 138/115/115 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I think you are doing ok. I like when I am hungry...that is when I lose weight. So, as long as you are hungry, keep eating that many cals. I would try maybe eating the bulk of the cals early on and a lighter dinner. I bet you start losing again. Oh, But since that is the french way, maybe you are already doing that?? I'm with you on the nuts and dairy. I was eating them and couldn't get this body moving. When I stopped things started happening. As for dairy, I can do small amounts like a bit of cream in my tea etc or a bit of cheese in an entree here and there but i do not go out of my way to eat it. Have you read neanderthin? I think you would like it and it would reinspire you. You can always drop cals for a couple days and then go back up. That could work too. Let us know.....K
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 18:26

Plan: Atkins...hp/hf
Stats: 333/313.2/150 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 11%
Talking

hi hun!! sounds like you are doing great!! just keep moving and eventually things will start to move too.

have you considered starting a journal? id love to come in and visit you...you seem like a real sweety.

come see me in my journal!!