Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-24-02, 11:27

Plan: none yet
Stats: 165/165/?
BF:
Progress:
Default I am not subtracting fiber....

I am on induction and not subtracting fiber. Is this going to make it hard for me in the long run? Should I really subtract fiber?
For ex, when I get to OWL, I was wanting to try some new foods. Some foods are lower in carbs with the fiber subtracted. But if I dont subtract fiber, I may never get to have certain foods.
I hope I made sense.
I just cant decide whether or not to subtract fiber. I fear that if I subtract it, I may be eating too many carbs.
What's your opinion?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-24-02, 11:35

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300/300/195 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 0%

it's ok to subtract the fiber, because fiber is inert to your blood chemistry. Think of them as "empty carbs"

I did induction without subtracting the fiber (I didn't know I was allowed to), and boy was that tough! I thought I was going to get ill if I looked at another egg! But now that I'm on OWL, and subtracting the fiber, I have a lot more variety in my diet. It does make it easier to stay on this WOL, I think.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Aug-24-02, 11:45

Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

I vote for substracting fiber also. Fiber is not digestable, so its main purpose (in my diet) is to bulk things up a bit.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Aug-24-02, 13:06
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/zone
Stats: 200/165/160
BF:
Progress: 88%
Default If you are uncomfortable subtracting fibre

I've now read in a few places that when you measure calories you deduct insoluble fibre completely. Some commentators rate soluble fiibre at at half the calories of carbohydrate.

Thus Fat is 9 cal per g
Proten and Carbs 4 cal per g
Insoluble Fibre is 2 cal per g

I still think that for Atkins which really measures the effect of food on insulin production you could deduct all the fibre but if you want to be cautious, deduct all the insoluble fibre and half the insoluble. That way you can live and be safely within limits.

I hope this helps

Ferrando
____

The long footote:

This from the USDA.

Find it at:

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodco...tm#Introduction

Food energy is expressed in kilocalories (kcal) and kilojoules (kJ). One kcal equals 4.184 kJ. The data are for physiological energy, which is the energy value remaining after losses from digestion and metabolism are deducted from gross energy. Calorie values, with the exception of formulated foods, are based on the Atwater system for determining energy values. Derivation of the Atwater calorie factors is outlined in Agriculture Handbook 74 (Merrill and Watt 1973). For formulated foods, calorie values (source codes 8 or 9; for more information on source codes, see page ) generally reflect industry practices (as permitted by the Nutrition Labeling and Education Act) of calculating calories from 4𣯛 kcal/g of protein, carbohydrate, and fat, respectively, or from 4𣯛 kcal/g of protein, carbohydrate minus insoluble fiber, and fat. The latter method is frequently used for high-fiber foods.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Aug-24-02, 17:09
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Our beloved administrator Doreen explained the subtraction of fibre brilliantly in another thread, so I'll just "borrow" it.

Quote:
On the subject of subtracting fiber grams from total carb grams .. Judi [IslandGirl] is correct. Dietary fiber is not absorbed, therefore it does not contribute caloric nor carb energy. So, most low-carbers choose to subtract fiber when planning their carb budget for the day.

However, some folks do include fiber in their daily carb totals. Which is fine .. that's the way Atkins Diet Revolution (1975) and his New Diet Revolution (1992) were planned. If you've calculated your CCL based on carb levels including fiber, then by all means continue to do that.

In 1995 however, the Drs. Eades of Protein Power introduced the idea of subtracting fiber grams, achieving what they call effective carb count (ECC). Since October 2000, Atkins has also approved subtracting fiber grams, calling the result Net Atkins carbs

This isn't exclusive to low-carb diets though. Nutritionists and consumer groups across North America have been calling for more accurate food labelling. This includes accurate energy value, ie .. calories. So, it's been proposed that fiber not be included when calculating the calories in a food. In other words, fiber will be subtracted from the total carb grams. Many food manufacturers have begun doing this voluntarily, as it's not yet law. This is true in both the USA and in Canada. I believe the UK and EU are already doing this.

From Atkins' official website, here's what he says about subtracting fiber:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Carbs That Count

.... Let's compare a cookie made of white flour and sugar with a couple of fiber-rich crackers. Both contain 10 grams of carbs, but there the similarity ends. Eat the cookie and you'll send all 10 grams of carbs coursing into your bloodstream. But when you chomp into the crackers (which have, say, 4 grams of fiber) only 6 of those 10 grams impact on your blood sugar. Basically, you can deduct the grams of fiber from the food's total carb count. The net number of grams are the carbs that count when you do Atkins. In the case of those crackers, you got a 4 gram free ride.

.... And determining which carbs count is simple: Check the total fiber grams listed on the food label and subtract that number from the total grams of carbohydrate listed. (read more ...)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And the Eades of Protein Power:
quote:
What do you mean when you say "effective carbohydrate content"?

It is the total carbohydrate content of the food minus the fiber portion. Carbohydrate calculations for food labeling includes the fiber. However, fiber isn抰 absorbed and should not be counted as a carbohydrate for the purpose of weight loss. We have a table in the book that lists the effective carbohydrate content of foods.

http://eatprotein.com/answers1.html#1e

Hope this is helpful

Doreen

#6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-24-02, 17:53
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/zone
Stats: 200/165/160
BF:
Progress: 88%
Default There may be an additional dynamic to fibre

I've wondered if there may not be another dynamic to fibre.

Fibre absorbs a lot of liquid, that liqud may be water, sugar and water, fat or some combination. What happens to the calories or the carb, fat, or even protein values for the molecules that get into fibre?

The fibre, full of moisture, passes through us does it carry away some of what we have eaten and enjoyed. If it does is there any way to measure it?

The other dynamic of fibre that has been promoted under calorie diets is that there are certain foods like celery that, because of fibre I think, actually use more energy being broken down in the digestive system and excreted than the food actually gives you. This used to be promoted as food with "negative calories." I wonder how this effect impacts on LC?

For practical purposes, I think deducting fibre is a safe bet, but there may be another hidden benefit (besides colon health etc.) to keeping a reasonable fibre content in our foods.

Have there been any in depth discussions and threads on this subject? Or if anyone has some information on it please share.

Ferrando