Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 07:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 168/158/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress:
Default Best plan to be on for constant business travel?

Hi everyone

I'm asking this on behalf of my husband, who has to do a lot of business travel for his work (mostly Europe). He's done very well on Atkins in the past, but his progress always seems to come to a halt when he's working away from home. He's gradually putting the weight back on as he's spent the past two months away, and asked if I could ask everyone here for some suggestions about other plans that might have more room for extenuating circumstances (as Atkins is quite strict).

He's finding it especially hard when clients want to take him out for meals, as it's hard to explain about LC when there are language/cultural differences (his European clients can't relate to not eating bread). Doing his own shopping has been hard as well as the hotels he stays in rarely have fridges in the rooms

What do others do in these situations? He hates going "on and off" (Atkins at home, anything goes when he's away...) and would like some advice.

Thanks
Dawn
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 12:39

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

I find myself in the same boat as your husband. I go on and off and I've never really found an answer. It can help if you tell people you are dieting. Many people in Europe believe bread to be fattening (strange idea!!) and will not bat an eyelid if he leaves it. Sometimes I take a whole stick of salami and a large piece of cheese with me when I travel so I've got something legal to munch on when I need to. Salami and cheese both keep well even without a fridge.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 12:45
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

I've found CAD with it's 1 hour reward meal best for traveling. I've never had much trouble getting eggs and bacon for breakfast as well as protein and a salad for lunch and then have a satisfying complete dinner. I keep no sugar beef jerky on hand and in my bag and briefcase for emergencies. Usually then I don't have to worry about special needs or being entertained. I just have to watch the clock for hour, lol!!

I spent 2 1/2 weeks in Europe last year with no problem and came home 5 pounds lighter.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 16:58
living kaizen

Stats: 510/406/195 Male 6 feet baby...
BF:
Progress: 33%

A buddy of mind is in NY and Europe most of the time on business travel. Steak and seafood. Get a salad, ask for buttered/sauteed veggies rather than potato. He's kept off more than 50 pounds for quite awhile.

H
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-16-04, 23:15

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

Check out this thread - Travel while lc-ing - for a link to an article about this. It was pretty interesting, might give you all some ideas.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=173124
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 04:37

Stats: 168/158/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress:

Thanks everyone!

I'll forward these responses off to my husband (who's away again... thank God for Airmiles...), and maybe they can give him some ideas.

I have to admit that travelling is my downfall when it comes to this WOE. If I'm going to mess up, it's when I'm away from the comforts of our LC-friendly kitchen (no bread and sugar to tempt me... lots of cheese and bacon in the fridge...) To be away so much would be really hard for me.

Anyway, thank you all again!

Dawn
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-18-04, 22:34

Stats: 273.5/236.0/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 33%

Hi - I have travelled internationally a lot and find that breakfast is the easiest to deal with - whether it's "American" or "European" I can usually eat for very low carbs - then I keep cheese and deli meats (salami is good) in individually wrapped packets with me. I pack a few easy open tuna cans too (the small ones). Dinner and lunch with clients is challenging, but I am usually able to get something ordered in the meat or fish category, and as long as my plate is full people don't worry about me or the fact that I am eating "special".

Pecan Pie
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 07:06

Stats: 120/112/105 Female 5.1
BF:unsure
Progress: 53%

I travel a lot also...not so much for work, but my husband and I are far from his family and we enjoy travelling in general. This might sound very weird and it is a bit funny, but as a carry-on I carry a small cooler. I pack Polly-O string cheese, salami or another type of sandwich meat, and atkins advantage bar type snacks and then at the hotel I just empty the mini-fridge in the room of all the snackbar type snacks and fill it with my lc snacks. When I pass through security I just smile and say I can't eat sugar if they ask....most people are very understanding.

When eating out....instead of saying, "I don't eat that..." I just order something like fish, meat, or chicken and ask for extra veggies and sauce on the side. No matter what is on my plate I don't eat the rice or bread. The only time the waiter or waitress has actually asked me was in France and in Spain, people maybe thought I was a little weird, but no one I was dining with noticed because I explained I had an 'allergy' or couldn't eat sugar. As long as you eat, you don't stick out.
Jenn