Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 11:31

Plan: HCG/Atkins
Stats: 143/134.3/125 Female 5'5"
BF:30.6
Progress: 48%
Unhappy Need Advice re Tweaking % & Calories

Hi all....

Just wondering if I need to increase calories and/or adjust my %s?

Last few days:

1139 cal. 60% fat 37% protien 3% carb
1347 cal. 81% fat 16% protien 3% carb
1291 cal. 80% fat 17% protien 3% carb
1378 cal. 84% fat 11% protien 5% carb

Any suggestions welcome. Menu ideas also would be helpful (allergic to pepper and can't do mayonaise)

Thanks in advance

Dianne
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 12:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 246/227/140 Female 5ft 4in
BF:
Progress: 18%
Smile Hi there

Hi Dianne,
Just saw your post re percentages...it looks great...but maybe you need to reduce your calories for a couple of days? Are you feeling stuck? I know that the first time I went on Atkins, it was well into the second week before there was a drop on the scale, but the clothes were fitting better...do you feel that might be the case...I have been reading so many posts here, but I noticed that lots of people don't really pay attention to the scale that much, but measure themselves...every couple of weeks I guess...
I myself, am a little afraid to do the measurement thing...I thinkI would rather be an ostrich with my head in the sand..lol

Hope you get some answers for your question from some others that might actually know what they are talking about..
I tried the salmon patties, but didn't really like the texture with the parm cheese...and they didn't taste near as good as they did 25 years ago...perhaps my memory is menopausal as well
I think I will do them again, try a bit of crushed bacon puffs, lots more onion and see what happens...
Talk to you again soon
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 12:33
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

Dianne,

I think that the calories look ok, actually you come a small bit under the guidelines so you have nothing to worry about there.

The general rule is 60 to 70 percent fat.
And 10-12 times your current body weight.

Protien would be then 25 I guess or around there leaving 5% more of less for fat.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 13:15
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

My suggestion is that if you are losing weight or inches you are doing fine and will get to your goal.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 14:28

Hi all...

The reason I need tweaking is that I am not losing weight or inches.....feel great but also feel stalled..

Help is appreciated.

#6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 14:36

Stats: 246/227/140 Female 5ft 4in
BF:
Progress: 18%

Hi Dianne,
Have you thought about not having any of the chocolate or bars for a couple of days...I know that I was eating the Aitkins bars, they say they are only 2 grms carb, but the ketostik was only lighting colored when ever I would have one...since I quite eating them, usually a nice dark purple.
Just a thought...

Talk to you soon
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 14:36
The evolution of me

Stats: 273/182/160 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

A large percentage of people stall after induction for a few weeks. Actually it isn't considered a stall unless you haven't lost any weight or inches for over 4 weeks. How long has it been?
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 16:37
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

Dianne,

I am one of those people who had the fun of a 3 to 4 week stall shortly after induction. YEA ME As I side note, I found out while I was staying the same on the scale, I was losing inches.

Anyway, I started to make sure my fat intake was within the 60 to 70 percent range, the calories fell in to place all by themselves, and the scale started moving once again. This may not mean anything, the scale could have been ready to move all by it self. Idealy you only need to count carbs. Just giving myself another thing to monitor.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 16:54
Former Couch Potato

Stats: 209/195.5/165 Female 5' 8"
BF:Oh yeah!
Progress: 31%

Hi,

I also really slowed down after Induction. My initial loss was fast, and I couldn't expect that to continue forever. Too bad! I'm now in week 6 and am losing quicker again. Expect fluctuations - they are NORMAL!

I think your percentages look fine. Your calories are definitely not too high. I strive to keep my fat above 70%. Many people report good success when their fat is even higher. So you're doing great.
Hope you're getting lots of veggies!?

I'd just stick with it and you'll see a loss again. If anything, cut out the extras for a couple of days - like shakes or bars or other LC treats -- to see if it makes a difference. I wouldn't be concerned about your percentages at all right now. Looks like you are definitely on the right track.

Good luck!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 17:33

A brief weight loss history:

Went from 143 to 141 around April 4/03 after a stall of about 1.5 years following starting HRT.......very exciting...hoping for more results with strict dicipline...... your support and advice is invaluable....thanks all
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-03, 17:37

Default veggies

I try to have 2-3 cups mixed salad greens with 2tbsps olive oil and 1 tbsp. of Udo's Oil (essential fatty acids) daily..

Dianne