Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 08:43

Plan: my own
Stats: 35/35/22 Female 5'5.5''
BF::(/:(/:)
Progress: 0%
Exclamation Blood thinners with low-carbing?

Hi.

I'm new to low carbing. I've been doing it about a week. On Friday I had my protime checked and it was low(this is a test that tells you how thin your blood is-i am very prone to clotting so am on blood thinners to prevent the clots). Today I found a list of foods to limit if on a blood thinner because of their high amount of vitamin k(which helps the blood to clot). Every low-carb vegetable that I can actually eat is on that list. It says to limit them to one serving a day-a half cup. I have 2-3 cups a day which is 4-6 servings.

Does anyone else here take blood thinners while low-carbing? How much are you taking now please? What sort of vegetables are you eating? Do you have any advice for me? I'm a bit concerned about this because I've had two pulmonary emboli in the past(blood clots in my lungs) and they are life threatening. I do NOT want to step away from this way of life. I am already beginning to feel better in other ways. This information though just has me worried because I don't think the doctor who prescribes my coumadin is an advocate of low carb.

Any help/advice you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Namaste,
Carla

p.s.
The link to the list of foods with vitamin k to limit is
http://um-jmh.org/HealthLibrary/meds/Vitamin_K.html

Last edited by odyssey : Mon, Jul-14-03 at 09:02.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-24-05, 22:34

Plan: atkins w/less fat
Stats: 320/272/155 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 29%

Hi Odessey,
I too am on Cumadin for the same reason. From what my doctors have told me it is more important to be consistent with the vegetables you eat. For example, it is better to eat 2 cups of cauliflower or any other high vit k veggie each day than to have no Vit K veggies for several day and then each 4 cups, a green salad, etc. in one day. If your eating patterns are consistent with these veggies when the PT levels are taken and they come back at the correct theraputic levels you should be on the appropriate dosage. If not your doctor should adjust the amount of Coumadin you are taking and retest in a few weeks. If you stay consistent with what you are eating your doctor will be able to get the levels correct. Hope this helps.
Mary