Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 12:21

Plan: My own plan!
Stats: 176/163/135 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 32%
Question Post work out meal or shake?

I am currently in Induction and have really increased the intensity of my workouts. I do a high intensity 30 min cardio routine on the elliptical machine followed by a 30 min weight training routine.

I was told at the gym after weight training that I should have a post resistance or post work out shake. They sell Myoplex Carb Sense Shakes at my gym but I'm not so sure I should have these while on induction. I had one after my work out on Saturday and it didn't throw me out of ketosis. They have 150 calories, 3.5 grams of fat, 3 net carbs and 25 grams of protein. The last ingredient listed is dextrose. They don't contain sugar alcohols. The trainers at the gym insist after a hard workout that you need to have a shake like this.

Should I have the shakes in Induction or not? Help Please!!!

If you suggest not to have the shakes should I wait a certain amount of time after my work out to eat a regular Atkins meal?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 12:35

Plan: Straight Keto
Stats: 315/267/180 Male 68"
BF:
Progress: 36%

Disclaimer: I am by no means a fitness expert.

I have used Atkins shakes during induction and had no problems. YMMV.

After working out, your body needs protein to help build and repair muscle. Also if you're doing a decent intensity workout, a few more carbs aren't going to hurt. You might want to have a snack with a couple of carbs before working out, if you find you don't have enough evergy.

Once I started working out and got into it, I no longer had that "not enough energy" feeling. BUT you definitely need some protein after the workout. I always have a protein bar and (more) water after I'm done with my hour+ cardio. I don't feel anywhere NEAR hungry after working out, but need the protein.

Theres also a ton of good info in the excercise forum, so be sur to check that out !!

HTH,
Jeff
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 12:39

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224/217/159 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Congratulations on being so faithful to working out!

My opinion is to stay on pure Atkins induction. Leave what we refer to as "Frankenfood" alone for the 2 weeks.

It also sounds like someone at the club has an "in" with the marketing of the shakes. My fitness club never pushed things like that.

Dextrose is a form of sugar, from what I understand. I believe Dr. Atkins wanted us to purge the sugar out of our bloodstreams for those two weeks, even if having one doesn't throw you out of ketosis.

I hope my opinion is sound advice. I agree with Jeff to peek in at the exercise forum. They'll give you great tips like Jeff did.
I wish you the very, very best, hcomeau!

Annie-Pie
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 19:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/188/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 56%

hcomeau, weren't you starting body for life? what happened to that?
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 21:51
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I wouldn't recomend the mysoplex. They not only have sugar, if I remember they also have asperteme. They taste great though

Better forms of after workout shakes for BFL+Lc would be the EAS carb control shake, designer whey, Ultra Protien (these are soo nummy and 35g of protien!) or other shakes that don't contain the sweetners. Atkins shakes contain too much fat for a BFL after workout, but are great as snacks other times.

If you are doing the BFL, you need more then induction level carbs. You also don't really have musch weight to lose if any, so you should probably read Atkins for life, and start at a higher carb amount anyway unless you are working to overcome serious carb addicitons or medical issues. Esp after a workout.

What you can do is take a shake and mix in some yogurt for carbs. I plan to hold off on dairy for my last couple of weeks of BFL, so I plan to have a regular EAS edge shake (ok so I bought them on clearence without reading lable carefully :P )
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-05-03, 06:17

Plan: My own plan!
Stats: 176/163/135 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 32%

Thanks everyone for your advise!

saltnpeppa-
I started BFL w/low carb and then fell off again! I had a few episodes with girl scout cookies and halloween candy!

So I decided to take things one step at a time. Instead of overwhelming myself and setting myself up for failure I decided to take things one step at a time.
I started induction (again) last week to get myself stable and I would like to build up to hard work outs. Once I feel ready I will get into BFL again and increase my carbs. I will be back on BFL forum soon!

I hope everyone has a great day!!!!!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Nov-05-03, 08:16
Registered Member

Plan: Modified Atkins/BFL
Stats: 246/215/200 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcomeau
I am currently in Induction and have really increased the intensity of my workouts. I do a high intensity 30 min cardio routine on the elliptical machine followed by a 30 min weight training routine.

I was told at the gym after weight training that I should have a post resistance or post work out shake. They sell Myoplex Carb Sense Shakes at my gym but I'm not so sure I should have these while on induction. I had one after my work out on Saturday and it didn't throw me out of ketosis. They have 150 calories, 3.5 grams of fat, 3 net carbs and 25 grams of protein. The last ingredient listed is dextrose. They don't contain sugar alcohols. The trainers at the gym insist after a hard workout that you need to have a shake like this.

Should I have the shakes in Induction or not? Help Please!!!

If you suggest not to have the shakes should I wait a certain amount of time after my work out to eat a regular Atkins meal?

If you are looking to build muscle, then a PWO shake is very helpful. I do heavy weight training 3X per week, and always include a PWO shake. If I lift at night (say, 10:00 pm), then I will drink a low carb, high protein shake. If I lift in the AM (5 am), then I will drink a high carb high protein shake.

There are numerous studies that demonstrate the need for a high carb "meal" immediately post work out to help build muscle and speed muscle recovery time (the ratio is 2 carb to 1 protein). Go to any bodybuilding forum and you can see ample evidence of that. Moreover, most weightlifters are incorporating low carb into their diets, and still including the PWO shake.

Essentially, I try to keep my carbs around 30-40 on non-lifting days, and 60-70 on workout days. I have seen tremendous results in muscle gain, and no fat gain.