Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-19-02, 13:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 322/312/150
BF:
Progress: 6%
Question Xenical..............

Has anyone ever tried Xenical? My brother says that it is extremely effective. He lost over 100lbs on the Atkins diet and uses xenical. I am very interested to know if anyone has ever tried it. I live in Laredo TX on the mexican border and xenical is very easy to get. Even without a perscription. What do ya' think? It only gets rid of 30% of the fat that you consume so it is not like you are starving your body, and since fat is what we mainly consume on this diet Xenical helps to rid the body of some of it .let me know.

Claudine
Attached Images
File Type: gif purpaw.gif (135 Bytes, 217 views)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-20-02, 13:04
Registered Member

Plan: Shark Cycle Plan
Stats: 410/323/250
BF:
Progress: 54%

i'D BE INTERESTED IN THIS AS WELL
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-20-02, 16:16
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

Xenical is meant to be taken on a low-fat diet where no more than 30% of your calories come from fat. Anything higher than that can result in VERY frequent bouts of diarrhea. Obviously not compatible with the Atkins / LC WOE.

Xenical will inhibit the absorption of fat soluble vitamins, which also must be taken into consideration.

It is meant to help a person on a calorie and fat restricted diet, not those on a carb-restricted diet.

I don't think I would do it! I've taken Xenical before (pre-LC).... the hurried trips to the bathroom were sometimes downright scary in their urgency. The thought of combining that with a diet high in fat is beyond my imagination.

For whatever that's worth to you! Hope it helps....
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-20-02, 16:29

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Teri is right. LC is supposed to be high FAT. FAT is not the enemy. Low Fat thinking is. Low fat / low calorie thinking is what made a lot of fat in the first place. If you want to lose weight, specifically body fat, you need to eat and you need to apsorb what you eat - your body cannot live on coffee and cigarettes (well, not for very long!).

There is a bigger issue here though. DIET. If LC is to work for anyone, it cannot be perceived as a 'diet'. I do not mean to sound harsh - I sincerely want you, both of you, to succeed at this. I think eating LC is the way to eat. It allows you to eat, to eat well, to eat good food, and to lose body fat w/o sacrificing your health.

There are no quick fixes - losing body fat takes hard work. But it can be done, have a look through the Success Stories, if you do not believe me.

You do not need Xenical to be successful. It would probably mess you up terribly.

Nat
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-20-02, 18:29
Contributing Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 255/239/234 Female 5' 5" and a half!
BF:
Progress: 76%
Default Scary thought.

I've had xenical in my cabinet for sometime now. Even before LC I was afraid to take it. I have heard about those scary and rushed trips to the restroom and near misses. I wonder how your brother does it on Atkins? Does he try NOT to eat a lot of fat?

My diet is about 70% fat now. I'm still getting use to the idea that it's okay. But ... the idea of taking xenical and eating near 70% fat SCARES ME SILLY!!!

I'd definitely get more info from your brother first if you must try it. And my recommendation is STAY HOME the first week or so just to be sure there are no embarrasing accidents. Yikes!

Otherwise, LC works really well without it.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-20-02, 18:35

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 185/173/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I have taken Xenical pre-LCing. I can honestly say that the stuff is scary.....very scary. If you are in the car and in traffic and you have to go, you might as well forget it. The uncomfort is just not worth it. Injoy this WOE and don't worry about fat, it is not the enemy. Just look at the stats of everyone who has responded to you so far, living proof. Good luck.

Tanya
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jun-21-02, 05:58

Stats: 322/312/150
BF:
Progress: 6%
Lightbulb I did...

NOT! I will take your advice. My brother doesn't seem to be my best friend when it comes to giving me answers to questions or lending an ear. I will stick to the Atkins diet and take my Xenadrine along witha daily multi-vitamin and chromium picolinate. Thank you all for your advice! I don't get it either NAT I was not losing weight on just coke and cigs and now I eat so much more of the right foods and I lose!I was at a stall for a while but I am back to losing!
Attached Images
File Type: gif persian.gif (9.7 KB, 170 views)
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jun-23-02, 14:06

Plan: atkins
Stats: 360/339/140 Female 5'3
BF:60%/60%/22%
Progress: 10%

Good for you. I think with a a weight loss system other than dieting eg lipo, stappleing or drugs, you might see the weight come off, but you will know that you didn't have to work for it and for me that satisfaction is a great part of weight loss.

Also i saw a documentary about xenical, they interviewed a woman who was using it and was shopping for new clothes and as she turned around to pick something off a rack she had a sudden *burst* of diarhea and as she looked down there was streams of it all over here legs and shoes. As she told her story she was in tears and admitted becoming so upset she only shops by catalogue because she is so ashamed.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jun-24-02, 12:43

Plan: Mostly Atkins
Stats: 175/134/135 Female 69
BF:19%
Progress: 102%
Default I tried it

Hi all. I tried Xenical. It was quite expensive so I never did get a refill, but I lost 20 pounds in a very short time, I ate sensibly, but was not LCing at that time. When the pills ran out, the weight ran right back on.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jun-26-02, 08:29

Plan: Careful Low Carb Plan
Stats: 335/295/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 26%

I have never tried Xenical, nor will I ever. My doctor suggested it before I found LC. I am skeptical about using pills to lose weight anyway. Just the thought of having surprize diarrhea didn't appeal to me. And then the idea of losing the nutrition from the food seemed like a really bad idea.

As everyone said here, FAT is our friend...not the enemy. Just continue on eating low carb and you will find success. But it does take time and work. Victoria
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jul-11-02, 12:30
Registered Member

Stats: 303/303/150 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Unhappy

Hi, I am a new LCer and a believer already. However, I did take Xenical. My female doctor who also is overweight raved about the stuff. My husband and I put the money together and bought the stuff because I am close to 300 pounds. I can tell you that yes I did loose 10 pounds in one month however, I am a full-time mother and full-time college student I had many accidents!!! I have to take my son with special needs to therapy and could never make it home. I would stop half way and go and would still have an accident. I had one at school one day and that was it. I am 30 years old with two kids who have accidents I could not handle it. I am hooked on LCing now with $500 worth of pills on my shelf that give you the runs.

I would not recommend it to anyone.

Babybear
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Aug-22-02, 19:04

Plan: my own plan
Stats: 235/138/130
BF:
Progress: 92%
Default I did it that way

I combined Xenical with low carbing and lost 100 pounds.
I don't know if it was the most effective way but it worked for me
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Aug-22-02, 19:10

Plan: my own plan
Stats: 235/138/130
BF:
Progress: 92%
Default sorry about the double post

I've been off xenical for two months and I've been on matainence for the same amount of time. I haven;t gained any weight but I have noticed that ever since I've stopped using xenical, it's really hard to do #2

The only way I can go to the bathroom is if I force myself to eat that nasty pasta light low carb pasta. It's discusting but it has eight grams of fiber per serving.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Aug-23-02, 08:42

Plan: Meat, leaves, & berries
Stats: 192/175/160 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 53%
Thumbs down I used Xenical for a couple months ...

I tried Xenical last fall for a couple of months.

IT WAS AN UNDERWEAR DISASTER!! Bright orange. Very unpleasant! I would not recommend this method to anyone.

Oh, and the kicker; here in Canada it costs about $120/month (if memory serves) and I can say in all honesty I DIDN'T LOSE A POUND UNTIL I RESUMED LCing.

Janice
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Aug-31-02, 07:48
Registered Member

Plan: modified atksin
Stats: 309/290/135
BF:
Progress: 11%

i also used xenical. lost weight, terrible diarrhea, and it is expensive.

i used the phen-phen stuff before that. i certainly lost weight but again i was starving myself. when you are moving 90 miles an hour who has time to eat.

this WOE is the only way i have found i can eat and not starve and i love it.

as a dieter who has tried every drug on the market for weight loss i wouldn't recommend it for long term lifestyle change but i also cannot judge if people decide to try it. i know i didn't listen to my family's caution before i tried it. Luckily there were no long term health problems from taking it.