Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-02, 14:05

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 155/148/130
BF:
Progress: 28%
Question Considering BFL

I am considering beginning the BFL plan (I've been reading through past threads and the results are amazing - congratulations to all) and had a few questions re: cardio.

First, I just wanted to say I'm in awe of all of the knowledge around here -- this is a WONDERFUL board!

I have been lc'ing since August 1, 2002. I don't have much weight to lose, but really enjoy the benefits of lc'ing (increased energy, looser fitting clothes). I recently started attending Bikram Yoga classes and have grown to LOVE them (it's a 90 minute yoga class conducted in 90+ degree rooms - talk about intense!).

Anyway, this past weekend I went to Barnes and Noble and quickly skimmed through the BFL book and noted the 20 minute cardio sessions.

My question is this (finally, Bethany...) -- I really want the results of weight training with BFL but would like to keep attending my yoga classes (average 2 times a week). I know that too much cardio is not good on this plan (still can't get over that!) -- is it possible for me to do BFL and still see results?

Thanks in advance for all of your comments/suggestions!

Best,
Bethany

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Sep-03-02, 20:16
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 282/220/166
BF:36.9%/28.6%/23%
Progress: 53%
Default Well

I don't really have an answer to your question, but is Yoga considered cardio? It was my understanding that you had to increase your heart rate and keep it elevated for at least 20 minutes to consider the excercise you are doing as cardio.

I've done some beginning Yoga excercises, they are wonderfully relaxing, and I love the stretching, but I'm not sure I would think of them as cardio or aerobic type excercises.

I know you breathe a lot with Yoga, but it is like really relaxed breathing, do you breathe hard? Is your heart pumping? Unless it is, I wouldn't consider the excercise to be "cardio" and I would figure that you should be doing cardio that does that to you and just call your Yoga class "recreational" excercise.

He does allow for recreational excercise on top of whatever cardio you do in the BFL book.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-04-02, 07:31

BF:
Talking Thanks for replying...

to answer your question about yoga -- Bikram yoga (the yoga classes I take) is considered cardio. Your heartrate is elevated for about 70 of the 90 minutes you are in the class.

I actually went and purchased the BFL book last night (I have this 'need' to read everything about anything - I once bought a book about becoming vegan ...) and am approx. 3/4 through it. I guess my real concern was about doing too much cardio - as I've seen topics in this forum about it as well.

If I stick to my usual 2 classes a week, I'll be performing 180 minutes of cardio (well, about 140 really) - just didn't want to be 'overdoing' it and therefore reversing the work I'd be doing with weights.

Of course this is just me being anal but unfortunately that is my nature and I just want to make a strong effort with this program .

Thanks again for all the help!

~Bethany
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-04-02, 19:08
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

Hi Bethany,
I had kind of the same dilemma you have. I decided to do bfl as written for the first 12 weeks but to keep doing things that I do because I love to do them. I love yoga, I've never heard of the type you do. What is the purpose of the temperature setting? I also love going for long hikes, its nicer to me now because its not exercise.

I guess it depends on what is the most important to you. I think the relaxation and flexibility and muscle toning that I get from yoga are well worth potentially not gaining some muscle.

Nancy
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-06-02, 14:54

BF:
Thumbs up Thanks - may follow your lead...

...and continue doing the yoga classes as my cardio.

Just to clarify, Bikram Yoga classes are 90 minutes in length and are comprised of 26 postures. They take place in a 90+ degree heated room. Supposedly the heat helps you get into your poses with greater ease and give you a much more cardio-like workout. (It's true - I've done the class now 3 times and I have never sweated like this in all my life!!) I believe it's one of those workouts that was made 'mainstream' by Madonna or someone similar. Anything they do catches like wildfire in NYC (but I'm not going near the colon-cleansings! :nono

Anyway, I am really excited about starting the BFL workout routine (imagine being excited about working out - I really must make it a point to get 'out' more ) I figure if I start the 12 weeks this coming Monday (September 9th) I could be done with the first challenge near Thanksgiving - right before I see the future in-laws .

Well, just want to wish continued success to all and I look forward to reading (and posting) more successes in the future.

Best,
Bethany