Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-06-02, 09:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 233/208/185 Male 5'11"
BF:30
Progress: 52%
Default Type 2 Diabetic

Hi everyone,

I just found out about 2 months ago that I have type 2 diabetes. My world has been turned upside down since then. I struggled to get my blood sugar down for the first month and a half. At first I figured I just needed some slight diet modifications. I cut out the most egregious of my diet sins and kept checking my blood glucose (BG) levels. No good. Then I sort of stopped eating, but my BGs skyrocketed as soon as I gave in. So I finally woke up and realized that I had a serious task before me. This has brought me around to Atkins. I've been on induction for the past week and my BGs are in a normal range everytime I check them- an immediate benefit and stress reducer. I don't need medication either. I'm thrilled with this. My appetite has subsided, but I think that might partially be a result of my terror of diabetic complications. Anyway, I'm glad to have found this board. I've already gotten a lot of great info from it.

Thanks,
Tom
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Dec-06-02, 15:48
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Tom and welcome! Congrats on getting your blood sugar under control!

You've probably noticed that we have a diabetes forum. There are quite a few folks here "in your shoes."

Enjoy!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Dec-06-02, 19:40

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Welcome Tom. Please do visit the Diabetes support section of the board. You'll find lots of people who have been LCing for quite a while. They'll be glad to answer any questions you have.

You must be so relieved to find out that LCing has stabilized and normalized your sugar levels.

The reduction in hunger is a very common finding of people who start eating LC. It is the carbs that cause the rise in blood sugar and the insulin surge that follows. And then the sugars crash and you are dementedly ravenous. But eating LC, the protein and fat moderate the effect of any carbs that you eat, and LC allows only low GI carbs. So the body changes from using insulin, to using glucagon to process your food. BG don't zoom up and down, and they stay stable for longer. So you are hungry less often, and certainly not wildly hungry. A number of LCers here and on other boards have reduced or eliminated the need for meds. BUt please, consult with your physician on any change in prescribed medication. Your doctor is the person whose advice you should take.

I hope you enjoy LCing as you go on.

Last edited by tofi : Fri, Dec-06-02 at 19:45.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Dec-07-02, 05:26

Stats: 233/208/185 Male 5'11"
BF:30
Progress: 52%
Default Thanks

I'm glad you pointed out the diabetes forum. I missed it the first time around. Looks like I'll have some good company here.

Thanks again,

Tom