Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Aug-26-02, 12:04
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/140/130
BF:
Progress: 71%
Unhappy God I feel awful

I bought tuna salad for lunch and took three bites...and then realized I was GRIMACING because of how much sugar was in it. I took it back and complained, ad they gave me some turkey slices instead.

But now I feel awful - like I had three cups of coffee. I'm shaking and light-headed...my goodness, and they don't consider sugar akin to a pharmaceutical response?? Feels like a drug to me. After 4 months on the diet I should have been more aware...but it certainly brought home the message that I love my diet and won't ever go back.

-Jinkster
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-26-02, 13:27

Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

Sugar in tuna salad? Yech! Good for your for standing up and getting a healhty alternative. Did you happen to tell them that some people are very sensitive to sugar, plus diabetics can't handle sugar.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-26-02, 21:55

Stats: 235/225/130
BF:
Progress: 10%

Hard to believe someone would add sugar to their tuna!....You better ask about everything you order from that place!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg justice1_sm.jpg (4.8 KB, 140 views)
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Aug-26-02, 23:22

Plan: Atkins-modified
Stats: 230/203/165 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default That reminds me...

The other day, I ordered a large ice tea with lemon. I was brought a large lemonade instead. When informed of the mistake, the young lady who served me became a little defensive—insisting that I had indeed ordered lemonade. I blurted, "There's no way I would have ordered lemonade! Do you know how much sugar is in that?" She looked at me as if I were crazy. And then, I'm embarrassed to admit, I fibbed. I said that I was diabetic (I'm not; I'm hypoinsulemic)...but it had the desired effect. It gave this particular server something to think about...

-G.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-27-02, 02:12

Stats: 159/145/135
BF:
Progress: 58%

Gwyn- Well good for you... well not exactly about the lying, but about defending yourself and giving her a little lesson!

Jinkster- Ew... sugar in tuna salad! Yuck! Why would they want to do that anyway? It is fine how it is It is true that people that are diabetic or have some other sugar problems couldn't eat that! Good Job on showing them right!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-27-02, 08:09

Plan: Hybrid
Stats: 181/157/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default Not just sugar...

It's amazing how your body, once cleaned of the poison, will, in fact, act as if it has been poisoned if you eat some of it. I made the mistake of eating about 1/3 cup 'smashed' potatoes at a restaurant after I had been on Atkins for 3 1/2 weeks. I thought I was going to die! The stomach ache! I came home fast and ate some digestive enzymes, but I was up all night, feeling awful, and I felt punky for several days. I'm eating out a lot less now!

Some places put sweet pickle relish in everything, including tuna salad. Also, doesn't Miracle Whip have more sugar than mayo? They may have used that.

Do you suppose the world will ever wake up?

Amy
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-27-02, 10:00

Stats: 315/283/170 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 22%
Cool

Yes, Miracle Whip does have sugar in it. Another thing that could have been used is salad dressing - that has a ton of sugar in it!

I usually try to stay away from the "salad" type dishes (ham, chicken, tuna, etc.) - just because you never know what is in 'em, just like Janeydi said about the sweet relish.