Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-03, 21:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/245/150 Female 5'8"
BF:A Little LESS!
Progress: 14%
Default Walnuts?

I know nuts are not suitable for induction, but I was wondering about Walnuts for OWL.
I have read the label of two different brands, and both show that walnuts have the same number of carbs and fiber. sounds like the perfect snack to me!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 00:03
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, under 30/day
Stats: 335/289/185
BF:
Progress: 31%

Plus, they have Omega 3 fatty acids - very good for you. Just try not to overdo because sometimes nuts will cause a stall. However, they are extremely beneficial to health (if you're not allergic to them) and would make a nice small daily snack.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 04:53

Thanks for the reply, freydis.
I'm still on induction, and will be for awhile, but I wanted to ask for the future. I see macadamias mentioned here a lot, but I had never seen anyone mention walnuts. While macadamias are really low in carbs, 1 or 2 per serving, the walnuts seem to have none...AND adding what you've said about omegas, walnuts will definitely be on the "yes" list as I progress through this WOE.
Good way to get more fiber too.
Thanks again
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 08:59

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by Lesle
While macadamias are really low in carbs, 1 or 2 per serving, the walnuts seem to have none...AND adding what you've said about omegas, walnuts will definitely be on the "yes" list as I progress through this WOE.
Hi there Lesle Your statement that walnuts have no carbs is something that gets mentioned every once in a while, not always about walnuts though What is happening is the manufacturer has 'pre' removed the fiber for you. This is from the carb counter on this site:

Description: Nuts, walnuts, english
Amount 1 cup, chopped
Total Carbohydrates 16.45 g
Dietary Fiber 8.04 g
Sugar 3.132 g
Starch 0.072 g
Sucrose 2.916 g
Glucose (dextrose) 0.096 g
Fructose 0.108 g
Lactose 0.000 g
Maltose 0.000 g
Total Protein 18.28 g
Total Calories 784.80
Total Fat 78.25 g

Macadamia nuts are the lowest carb nut, followed by almonds, walnuts pretty low, but none of them are no-carb. To have 0 carbs a food would have to be either 100% meat or fat or a combination of the two.

HTH
Nat
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 19:30
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 180/170/140 Female 170cm
BF:
Progress: 25%

i celebrated my two week induction anniversary today...and to celebrate I had a small amount of blanched almonds. They were so crunchy and really did the trick! And the good thing is I was able to eat some and put the rest away, this WOL is really agreeing with me................

Just wanted to share my happiness!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 21:30

Natruska
Thanks for your reply, but I am still confused. The other nuts, macadamias etc don't seem to "pre-remove" the fiber in the nutitional labels . Their labels show a higher carb count vs the fiber count, like 4 grams carbs and 2 grams fiber. But the walnuts were dead even.
I'm not saying you're mistaken. It's obvious from your stats and your many posts here that you know what you are talking about.
I just don't know why macadamias, cashews, peanuts etc are figured one way and walnuts another.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-03, 21:36

Congratulations Barbie! You're doing great!
You made it thru induction....
You broke thru that 200 mark!! (I cant wait till it's MY turn to do that)
And most importantly, you can have a snack like that and still be in control.
All huge victories!!!
This WOL agrees with me too. I feel good! No more headaches, sugar-blues, or always having to have food around to "feed the monster" that my sugar addiction is.
Good luck to you and keep up the good work!
Lesle
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-03, 08:02

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by Lesle
I just don't know why macadamias, cashews, peanuts etc are figured one way and walnuts another.
Lesle, it is confusing. It's not the fault of the nuts, though It's the manufacturers who are packaging them - and its also somewhat regional. Australian standards are to 'pre remove' the fiber and this is generally understood. In North America there is no standard at present, hence the confusion.

At the top of this forum there's a sticky on Label Reading that might shed some light on it - read through all the posts, there's some info on fiber as well.

Cheers,
Nat