Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-03-01, 23:09
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/265/200
BF:
Progress: 19%
Unhappy I am very upset

Well first of all, I ate something wrong so I had to start over... I didn't do it on purpose but I had something that had 32 carbs per serving and I had 2 servings, it was peanuts. I thought they were free, so my friend had them out and I had some. I have to start ALL OVER AGAIN. And then I bought a new scale and I am more then what I thought I was.

I lost 40 pounds last year, I gained it all back. The scale is correct because my husband weighs 180 and it was RIGHT on the nose. I am 280 not 270! everyone says you dont look 270/280 BUT I do in places that are below my waist.. it's HARD and I am wicked upset. I have to start all over again because that was alot of carbs.

I know I can do this.....I lose weight pretty quick too so we'll see, maybe you all can help me.

Karen
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-03-01, 23:15

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

Karen, I'm so new here I have no right to say this -- but I've had the same experience so many times, I just had to. You haven't been "bad"; please don't be upset. Why do you have to start all over? You're in this for the long haul. Today was one day, tomorrow is another. That's all.

For the future, I can give you two tips -- if I'd followed this advice when I was your age, I wouldn't be here today Plan. To do this, you need to know what you can eat. Anybody can make a mistake, and we'll all probably make hundreds of them before getting this WOE down. But check out a list of foods that are no or low carb; then you won't get caught in the Peanut Trap again. Also, plan your meals. If you know you often go out with friends, have a list of foods you can eat in your head, so you won't be stuck in a situation where there's nothing LC around.

As for the scale, I understand that too. It's really a bummer. But you don't weigh any more today than you did yesterday. You're the same. The scale is different. I've spent the last two days reading these posts -- there's so much good, friendly, supportive information here. I'm sure you'll get a lot of it -- and one thing you'll read over and over: don't get hung up on a number.

The point is to find a way of eating you can live with for life, and be healthy.

All best to you. You can do this.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Nov-04-01, 02:52

Plan: my own
Stats: 164/125/125 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 100%

Karen... It's water. I'm sure of it, there is no physical way you could put 10 lbs of fat on overnight. You will pee it all out again. Please don't go so hard on yourself, it makes me realise what I do to myself so much, and I don't want either of us to do that. Doods.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-04-01, 05:50

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

Hi Karen - the same *scale tragedy* happened to me.

Way back I used one of those whirrly-gig scales, but I need glasses to see distance. I couldn't read my weight without the glassses.

I was convinced the glasses were added ounces to my weigh-ins so I was not happy about having to wear them to read my *score*.

So out I went and bought an electronicl one with big red letters and 1/2 pound increments. Cool, I thought.

Till I got on them. I too was heavier. I wanted to return the scales as defective, but 40 pound bags of dog food don't lie.

Anyway I adjusted ALL my journals going backwards and added the extra weight to all of my readings. After all I had lost what I thought I did I just didn't start out where I thought I did.

New scales NEVER weight you in as LESS than what you thought - not fair.

As for the peanuts.... don't worry - this is part of the *learning* process. You will get so that you won't eat anything until AFTER you have an accurate carb count on it. Everybody does it at least once.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Nov-04-01, 07:05
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins modified
Stats: 280//180
BF:
Progress:

Cliche's abound...

Stay strong...get back on that horse...you'll know better next time....

You get my drift.

My advice is to go outside and walk through that beautiful fall foliage. I can't imagine any place more beautiful than New England in the fall, though I'm sure your leaves have peaked already! I've been to Mass, but never made it up your way. I hope to do that in the next couple of years & stay at a beautiful B & B! Oh, oh...B & B? Gotta remember to double up on the eggs & stay away from the baked goods!

Good luck...you're doing fine.

--Kirkwood
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Nov-04-01, 07:49

Stats: 182/176/140
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default New Scale...and an opps.

Karen...
Don't sweat it. You are doing great just beoing consious of what you ate and how many actual carbs you consumes. You have learned your lesson...

The scale story...I have been there and done that myself. Just keep doing what you are doing...watch your diet and count those carbs!

Yesterday was my 40th Birthday...went out for supper to Outback to celebrate. I did ok...ate a salad (dressing on the side...no croutons) a huge steak (no potato) but the killer was the bread...I had a slice. I weighed this morning and actually lost another lb in 3 days. I felt a little guilty, but I had actually planned on cheating and not overdoing it. After all...one turns 40 only once in a lifetime. Today is a new day and I am going right back to what I was doing diet wise. Bye-bye breads...this time 4-ever. I figured that I probably ate close to 40 carbs for the meal....but I won't be doing that again for a long time.

Stay in ther Karen...I am pulling for you!!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Nov-04-01, 09:14
Registered Member

Stats: 218/198/140
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default Hey

Please don't despair....you learned something right?? Consider it a lesson well learned..and start again....!!! Geez..and stop beating yourself up over it!! All will be well
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Nov-05-01, 02:19
Registered Member

Stats: 280/265/200
BF:
Progress: 19%
Default Well I am doing better

Thank you everyone for being supportive. I started all over and I have gone through yesterday and Today GREAT! I got on the scale this morning and lost 2 pounds.

I am still confused about some of the food but I will get use to it.

going into my 3rd day, I notice one thing, I am getting headaches, is this normal?

Well Thank you everyone
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Nov-05-01, 03:02

Plan: 6 week body makeover
Stats: 225/185/190 Male 5.8
BF:
Progress: 114%

Ahhhh the headaches.. those wonderful things... that is a key indicator that something is happening!! LOL

I had the headache when I started and I complained about it on here and found out it is quite normal. Especially for a carb junkie like myself. I threw myself into shock by cutting carbs and a headache was my body's way of trying to make me eat carbs to feel better! LOL

Seriously, for some reason you will find that a common complaint amongst members here.. Only new members. The headache will be gone by about day 4, Mine started about day 2 or 3 and left by the 4 or 5.. clear sailing after that. Take a aspirin and relax your on the right track.. all your problems your having sound right on target with the rest of ours. Oh yes.. we made mistakes too and we beat ourselves up too. You will be fine and congrats on the 2 pounds.!

xoxo
Shannon
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Nov-05-01, 04:47

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: //2002
BF:and feeling great
Progress: 99%

Karen - glad you're back on track.

Let me recommend yet another book to you, "The Complete Book of Food Counts" by Corinne T. Netzer.

I've found it to be one of the best quick sources of carb counts (and fats proteins sodium fibre and cholesterol) that exists. Covers regular foods by brand name and fast food outlets as well.

Give it a boo the next time you're in a book store.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Nov-05-01, 15:35
Registered Member

Stats: 218/198/140
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default Whooo Hooo Karen

I knew you could do it!! And weight loss too!! And yes, I too hade "the headache" as well, and as the other poster stated..it does dissipate....just relax..and stay vocused on YOU.!!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Nov-05-01, 17:04

Stats: 230/185/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 64%

Wow! I am so glad I read this, I had a headache from Day 2 to day 5...Finally I took some Sinus headache medicine, I figured that must be it. now i know, It means something was working. Thank you. I have a quick question also, Today, I had 2 eggs for breakfast ans 4 slices of cheese for lunce. I went to fitday to journal in what I ate, and cannot believe the amount of fat. My mind is telling me it's part of the program, but it scares the heck out of me, and I don't want to weigh myself until I'm on it a week. That'll be Wednesday. Did anyone else get scared by the fat count? Chris
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Nov-05-01, 17:45
Registered Member

Stats: 175/160/135
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default Scared by the fat

chrisews,
Yes, i too, got scared by the fat content in alot of the food i am eating...and the calories too. When you have been conditioned that fat and calories are the BIG BAD GUYS, it is scary to think you are consuming all that...i look at how i am feeling, how my clothes are fitting, and i also decided to just write down in my carb journal what i ate and how many carbs are in it, instead of posting it in fitday. It works better for me.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Nov-25-01, 19:34

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 179/156/140
BF:
Progress: 59%
Default Karen

Hi Karen

I know this was an old post but I was readng through alot tonight and saw yours. HOpe your still doing well. I wanted to suggest you take measurements and put them in a journal. That way you can see the inches that you are losing and not have to rely so much on the scale. I did the same thing and it bummed me out. Measuring is fun and it does prove that eating low carb works

Good luck to you
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Nov-25-01, 22:19

Stats: 197/186/125
BF:
Progress:

I have another comment about headaches. My migraines were worse initially, but now (after almost 2 months) they are almost nonexistent! FYI!