Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-08-02, 18:24
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 225/225/170 Male 68"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Ketosis breath

Hello,
I have a question about ketosis breath....

The atkins book states that whenever you have ketosis breath or some change in color of a ketosis test strip, you are burning stored fat...but he never mentions the fat youve just eaten....

Sometimes my ketosis breath will fade, or maybe I simply forget about it....then, I will eat say, some cheese or something, and BAM my breath is roaring....

Does this mean that for some reason, even though I am in ketosis (the breath) I am only burning fat I consume, as apposed to fat that I am storing? Is this possible? Is there an answer?

Thank you

Toe
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-09-02, 17:01

Plan: Atkins/CAD/Now?
Stats: 216/210.5/110?? Female 5 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 25%

Okay I guess I don't know what Ketosis breath is? Someone explain this to me and how to know I have it?
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-09-02, 17:35

Plan: 60 grams or less a day
Stats: 178/148/135
BF:
Progress: 70%

I asked a friend of mine about this - she's a fitness and nutrition consultant, and she said she had a great online article link about this - I copied some of it here but here is the link if you want to read more:
http://www.goalguide.com/ketosis.htm

Ketosis happens during fasting, low carbohydrate diets, pregnancy and it can be caused by diabetes. You use up your store of glycogen (blood sugar) and then your body permanently goes into fat burning mode to fuel your bodily functions. This change in metabolism occurs when the body no longer has incoming carbs to produce glycogen and after the liver has been depleted of stored glycogen. When either stored body fat or incoming dietary fat is used as fuel it breaks down into ketones.

Ketones can be used as fuel for your body or discarded via your breath or urination. It is the rise in ketone production that means you are in ketosis. Take note that although you are in ketosis this does not mean that you are *only* burning bodyfat. The released ketones may be from either bodyfat or dietary fat.

What are side effects of Ketosis?

Bad breath - which is due to ketones being released through your breath, drinking more water will lessen this effect. Some people also report that they get a metal taste in their mouth.

Strong urine odor - due to the presence of ketones.

Light headedness or "foggy" thinking. This does not occur in everyone and many who do feel this often are helped by making sure they are getting enough to eat, enough water and taking potassium supplements.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-09-02, 17:42

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 100/88/80
BF:
Progress: 62%

Don’t worry as far as I know ketone bodies are formed from the brake down of fatty acids in the liver, these are released by the fat cells into the blood when there is very little insulin present. They are also formed from the fat you eat passing through your body, so it’s a bit of both. BUT for your body to brake down the fat already stored you NEED to limit the insulin rushing around your blood stream, and this is achieved by not eating carbs.

So you are right, you will produce A LOT more ketones when and after you eat fats, but to get into ketosis in the first place you have to be doing something right.

As far as I’m concerned the LC WOL works because of 3 things.

*Controlling insulin by keeping carbs low and infrequent (thus not storing fat and controlling blood sugar and energy)

*Being “In Ketosis” burning both the fat you eat and the fat you’ve stored as energy, and controlling appetite (suppressing hunger).

*Indirectly causing a calorific deficit by controlling appetite with ketosis, and filling you up with fat/protein, which are nutrient rich and dense and fill you up a lot faster than flaky pathetic carbs.

So... I've gone off on a tangent, i do that sometimes. What i ment to say was "you're right but don't worry cause its supposed to do that"

-Jake
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-09-02, 18:57
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks

Toe

BTW I still seem mighty hungry even after 9 days or so
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-09-02, 19:20

Plan: Atkins (OWL)
Stats: 183/153/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 70%

Hey Toe,

You should start a journal keeping track of what you eat. Others will read it and give you great suggestions of how to help with problems like feeling hungry!

Chickadee
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Dec-15-02, 22:39
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Kinda
Stats: 338/280/230
BF:
Progress: 54%
Talking

chlorophyll...

i had corpse breath...

started taking 1 cap a day... no corpse breath since... and im heavy into ketosis...

here is a link to the dope...

http://gnc.mondosearch.com/cgi-bin/...+CHLOROPHYLLIN+

iggy
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Dec-16-02, 07:08
Registered Member

BF:

Thanx...Im kinda used to it now, but I will check it out.

Toe