Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 02:30

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 234/160.8/150 Female 173
BF:37%/27%/23%
Progress: 87%
Default KristyC please? or L-Carnitine users?

Hello
I am doing relatively well I think, I have lost every week without fail of at least 1.75 pounds mostly about 2 or more since Jan 6,

Week 1 -7
Week 2, -5
Week3, -3
Week 4, -3.25
Week 5, -2
Week 6, -2
Week 7, -1.75
Week 8, -2
Week 9, -4
This week not completed yet already 1

My question is concerning my deadline.
(And I know that we are not supposed to have one, but this big event did get me motivated and that is what I am looking forward to. I know it is a WOE and that will continue)

It is a big family reunion in end July, and my family has not seen me for 2 years.
So I have still another 18 weeks to go and can make some good progress before then I hope. The 31 lbs gone now is certianly a start!

Anyway, I have been reading all the posts about stalls and know that as I near my goal that might happen. So.... I was just trying to plan for it and think about possible solutions.

As precautions, I do not take any LC frankenfood, no SF anything, no coffee, no caffeine, NOTHING. My diet is pure induction 95% of the time. I have never cheated at all. But once a week or so, I have had legal nuts, or a few berries with fresh whip cream. On those rare days, I suppose you would call OWL, but it is a RARE occurence and still Low Carb.

Question is....
I take Multi Vitamin mostly B complex, fiber, omega 3 with A+E, extra C,

I was noticing the comments about L-Carnitine.
I was wondering if I should begin now, or use it as a blaster when I stall.
I see that KristyC said she used it all the time, and her loss is spectacular.

Would it do better if I saved it, and the SAME question is for the Oil of Oregano users. Also, I have not seen that in my store, so where is that found?

Any comments or ideas please?
THank you in advance for all the great support I have gotten from this board. I am a bit isolated being here in Europe and Atkins is virtually unheard of. So your super advice has kept me going and I greatly appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 08:44
Fit and Happy

Stats: 273/145/160 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:49%/24%/24%
Progress: 113%

Hi Melissa. I see no problem with taking L-Carnitine now. I have taken it everyday for months now and I truly believe it has helped my weight loss along. I take 1500-2000 mg. per day (3-4 500 mg. capsules). Dr. Atkins also recommends taking it. It helps with fat metabolism. I would also suggest Chromium Picolinate for the same reason. As for Oil of Oregano, I only recently began taking it because my weight loss had slowed as I get closer to goal. Since I began using it, I have definitely lost faster (4 pounds the week before last and 3 this past week). I take the Oil of Oregano in capsule form that I ordered off of www.vitaminshoppe.com (Nature's Answer brand). Again, I see no reason NOT to start these supplements now. You just have to experiment to see if they work for you. Good luck and feel free to PM me anytime about the L-Carnitine, especially!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 09:38

Stats: 234/160.8/150 Female 173
BF:37%/27%/23%
Progress: 87%

I forgot to say that I do take Chromium as well, but only 250 mgs a day.

So are you saying that you take ALL these things at once? I mean 1500-2000 L-Carnitine, + Chromium, + oil of oregano?

And one more question to anybody, I dont know how to send a PM, when I click that button it says I dont have it turned on in profile, but when I go to profile I dont see where it is.

Thanks!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 13:28

Stats: 228/199/125 Female 60
BF:
Progress: 28%

Did you have problems with the L-Carnitine giving you an upset stomach? I have tried it twice and had a stomach ache both times. (Not so bad the second time)
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 14:33
Registered Member

Stats: 254/229/190 Male 72 inches
BF:24/16/12
Progress: 39%

I have used L-Carnitine for over 4 months (approx 1500mg/day) and have had no ill effects. I started taking the pills to fight fatigue that I was experiencing late in the day. Since I have been using the L-Carnitine I have more energy and do not feel tired around 3-4pm...

-Callahan-
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 15:01
Fit and Happy

Stats: 273/145/160 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:49%/24%/24%
Progress: 113%

Yes, I take all of those and MORE LOL! I am a walking health food supply. I also take Fish Oil, Flax Oil, a multivitamin and Green Tea.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 19:03

Stats: 190/145/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 69%

how much oil of oregano do you take daily? I'm going to order some now from the site you suggested as I cant find it any of our local stores. Also, I am going to start trying the L-Carnitine. I'm really anemic and I have no energy right now.