Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Aug-31-04, 06:19

Plan: atkins
Stats: 185/160/126 Female 5 foot 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%
Unhappy friend's negativity

i wonder if anyone else has had this problem. when i first started LCing my friends and family were all really negative about it. saying it was unhealthy. obviously i ignored them. and now i have lost 25 pounds in 6 weeks, my aunt who is very competitive doesn't come to see me so much. she doesn't ask me to go out with her anymore ( we used to go out clubbing alot. My aunt is a very young 42 yr old) whenever i do see her she still says that my eating habits are very unhealthy. she has never said anything about me losing weight, and my being a (uk) size 10. she has always encouraged me when i have been on other diets. she wants to lose weight too. and i have told her all about the atkins diet and how it works and why its good for you. and that i'll help and support her. she wont even try it. i miss our nights out and chats. one of my good friend's wants to do the diet but doesn't think she can stick it out. she's bloody grumpy around me too. so there is a price to pay in looking after yourself and taking pride in your appearence. losing friendship.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Aug-31-04, 06:33

Plan: My Own
Stats: 200/180/175 Male 5'11.5"
BF:sz36/sz31/sz30
Progress: 80%

Have you approached your aunt aobut this directly? As in "why do you aviod me now?" that type of thing?
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Aug-31-04, 06:57
based on real events

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 198.5/190.5/135 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 13%

Some people get very unerved when someone goes and changes on them, and losing 25lbs is a big change, maybe you aren't the 'fattest' one now. Don't worry, they should come around and quite frankly, if they don't, then they are not worth having in your life.

When I lost weight after my second baby and went down to 115 -120, which is still a bit high for a 5ft. 2in female in her twenties, my family acted like I was anorexic! They told people I didn't eat anything, of course, these people were/are fat and have NEVER been an appropriate weight for there size. EVERYONE ragged at me.

ON the other side, one of my sisters, who lived in a different country, went down to 117 (same height as me) and I was SHOCKED senseless when I saw her, it did unerve me, she didn't warn me she just showed up with those skinny legs...I own up to being jealous initially, but was pleased as punch after it sunk in (took a few days!) I remember being concerned for her too, but I think that is because my memories of her was a fat girl, not a skinny one, so to me she lost weight overnight LOL

Be who you are and hopefully they will come around!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Aug-31-04, 10:14

Stats: 185/160/126 Female 5 foot 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

i haven't approached her directly, as she would only deny it. and the funny thing is, is that i have always been slimmer than her anyway. this is why i can't understand her attitude.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Aug-31-04, 10:48

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

well, for the past 20 or 30 years we were taught that eating the way Dr. Atkins has been teaching us, is detrimental to our health. Not only is it supposed to clog your arteries, ruin your kidneys but it also causes weight gain. Those myths made all of the sense in the world. Now the very things that are supposed to make us healthy are, in actuality, are bad for you. It is a tough bone to chew ( although bones are low carb LOL ), regardless of the success and proof. It is even more difficult when family has to chew that bone because they always think that they know more than you. We should take that into consideration no matter how crazy family and friends make us.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Aug-31-04, 11:55
Registered Member

Plan: simple low carb :)
Stats: 165/157/150 Female 67"
BF:Have a boyfriend!
Progress: 53%

try this: "so it's unhealthy for me to eat veggies and meats and whole, unprocessed foods? i had no idea! i'll go eat some cheetos!"
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Aug-31-04, 12:31

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Time for new friends

People who quit drinking or smoking or gambling often have to replace their entire social circle. Major changes in eating can lead to the same problem. You may not see yourself as all that different, but you are. Thin people can often lead different lives--different wardrobes, different activities, different outcome in the clubs.

Might try getting together with your aunt outside a club atmosphere, where men's attention to you (and presumably, not to her) is not an issue.

One of my company's offices locally has a VERY overweight, on average, staff. Thin people transfer out before very long. Funny how that works.

Last edited by cs_carver : Tue, Aug-31-04 at 12:33. Reason: add more
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Aug-31-04, 13:28

Plan: Strict Atkins
Stats: 290/195/150 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 68%

Just be patient and talk to her. This is new for her, and changed the entire dynamic of your relationship. Maybe let her know thatyou are hurt by the reaction you are getting, and see what happens.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Aug-31-04, 14:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/241/170 Female 5'4"
BF:40%/31%/29%
Progress: 5%

I even have a better one for you. My mother in law is severly overweight, she actually takes 17 different prescription pills every day!!! She has high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, you name it, she has it wrong with her (at least it seems this way) anyway, she also needs to have bladder surgery because of leakage problems, but the doctor has told her that she has to loose at least 50 pounds before she can have the surgery because of the risk of infection from all of the fat they would have to go through. Anyway, I started doing Atkins, she told me how unhealthy it was for me. I kept doing it, she started eating sugar substitutes, and avoiding junk food, I keep loosing, she is the same, I told her that if she ever wants to try Atkins, she can borrow my book, and I will support her in every way. She still insists that it is bad. That it would probably kill her. Today, she just called and told us that she could be going blind in one eye because of her diabetes is causing complications. Yet she won't even try Atkins. I guess it's worth her life to try and prove me wrong!!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Aug-31-04, 14:43

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2
Progress: 0%

OMG Wolf, That's insane -- especially seeing your excellent progress and good health -- too bad the doc can't suggest this plan. Good luck.

Vikki
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Sep-01-04, 09:01

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Bladder "leakage"

Forget the surgery; it's the sugar!! One more side effect of a high-carb lifestyle.

My "trouble" completely went away when I went LC, and I can tell if I'm a little too high--I have to be careful when I sneeze. I heard of a drug study for this and talked to the receptionist but the doctor in charge never called me back. No funding for no-sugar solutions!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Sep-01-04, 10:11

Stats: 56//! Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress:

wow. it is so unfortunate that friends and family don't support your weight loss attempts/successes...

i'm SO lucky. my family and friends and co-workers are nothing but proud of me... and supportive... i can't imagine having been as successful as i have been that last four months without their support and encouragment.

it's AWESOME that you all stick to it with such negativity around you. THAT alone is something to be proud of!!