Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-25-02, 10:45

Plan: atkins
Stats: 180/174/168
BF:17.4%
Progress: 50%
Default If Only You Knew...

Dear Experts,
If only you knew my frustration and disappointment...In 4 mths -I have gained FAT weight from 176-180 lbs and my body fat has increased,by 8%
My goal was to drop from a lean 176 to a leaner 160 lbs.

My cholestral count has dropped to normal, it was marginally high and I have
managed to quit smoking after 20 years BRILLIANT !! and my mood is very stable which are BIG plusses.
CAN ANYONE HELP?
I eat the following "every day" and am VERY STRICT about it !!
B.hard boiled eggs x2 bacon 6pcs thin sliced

L.Large Cobb salad, 4 oz chicken, 1xtomato, 2cups lettuce, 2oz swiss cheese, ranch dressing,1x small avocado,2pcs bacon, mayo 2tbspoons

D.4oz Pork loin, raw cucumber & raw kale about 12 small sticks, chili dip OR SAME AS LUNCH- I ALTERNATE

Occassional snacks blueberries, strawberries.with clotted cream say once or twice a week.

Im a 5'11" tall caucasian male....I take
pantethine x1-2 softgells per day (probably the cause of my colesteral drop) and basic#3 supplements.

some how I have got very fat even my 7 year old today said Dad you are getting really fat , and he touched the love handles hanging over my shorts which were never there before !! despite my regular
exercise,....8-10 glasses water p-day 3-4 cups decaf coffee....with coffee mate
NO SODA NO ALCOHOL WHATSOEVER IN 4 MTHS!!!
what is going on ?>
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-25-02, 10:52

Default TYPO

Sorry all my start weight was 167 nott 176 so as i am now 180 i have gained 13 lbs !!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-25-02, 11:02

Plan: IN LIMBO!!!!!
Stats: 145/137/126
BF:28.3%/22%/18%
Progress: 42%

The "expert" part is a bit intimidating, I am no expert, but I can share a bit of my experience with you.

When I quit smoking last year, I gained over 10 pounds also. It was very frustrating for me too!
What I did learn is that when you quit smoking, your metabolism slowes down a bit.
There are many ways to get it back up to par. Check out the nicotine section of this forum. Also, TrainerDan has an awsome book out detailing how to help your metabloism work more effeciently. here

Good luck!
Peace,
Brenda
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-25-02, 11:31

Default cheers

brenda, thanks alot, will go and have a look..appreciate your help...richard
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Aug-24-02, 16:14

Plan: atkins (?)
Stats: 135/131/120
BF:
Progress: 27%
Smile the right diet

Hey!

I am glad to see I am not the only one frustrated!! I have tried to lose weight since I am a teen...just to feel right in my body and be proud of my appearance...but! The things I have learnt though is every diet in the market are not all good for you. Example: depending upon your metabolism, your eating habits and your activity (job+hobbies) you don't use the lipids, proteins and carbs the same way as anyone else. Maybe you need to adjust your diet by decresing the amount of fat and cholesterol sources. The carbs might not be a problem for you...still, don't abuse them. If I were you, I would consult a nutritionist to analyse first your metabolism and find where the problem is, then help you through the quit smoking-thing-and not gain weight!! Because when you quit smoking, your metabolism and eating habits change.

Hope I could help you, good luck!!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-25-02, 07:46

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%
Default Re: If Only You Knew...

Quote:
Originally posted by aisha

I eat the following "every day" and am VERY STRICT about it !!
B.hard boiled eggs x2 bacon 6pcs thin sliced

L.Large Cobb salad, 4 oz chicken, 1xtomato, 2cups lettuce, 2oz swiss cheese, ranch dressing,1x small avocado,2pcs bacon, mayo 2tbspoons

D.4oz Pork loin, raw cucumber & raw kale about 12 small sticks, chili dip OR SAME AS LUNCH- I ALTERNATE

Occassional snacks blueberries, strawberries.with clotted cream say once or twice a week.

I am no expert, however the bacon, and pork you are consuming every single day are pretty darned salty items.

Perhaps remove those out of your diet for a while and replace them with something a little less salty and nitrates ridden? Dr Atkin's does warn us about nitrates and salt right up front. 8-10 glasses of water are probably not enough given what you are eating. Your body is most likely dehydrating due to the salt and is trying to store up the water.