Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 19:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 127.5/127/112 Female 4' 10
BF:26.7%/26.5%/23.6%
Progress: 3%
Default help please

I have been doing Atkins since January but have not lost a single pound. I may lose this week but it will be back next week, up and down 2-3 lbs. I am still eating 20 grams or less a day and never in ketosis. What could be wrong? I might add that I only have about 15 lbs. to lose but would really like to get rid of them. I lost 25 lbs. last year - 10 on the 3D Diet and 15 on Weight Watchers it took me 10 months lose it.

Now, the last two weeks my body is trying to gain 3 lbs! I am up and down the way I surely don't want to be going now.

HELP!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 19:25

Stats: 359/266/174 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I know others are going to ask....can you post a typical daily menu for us to look at?
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 19:41

Default menu

I have to admit that over the past couple weeks I have reverted to skipping meals - bad I know but I am getting desperate.

Breakfast
1 hardboiled egg
sometimes a little cheese instead
very seldom a serving of low carb cereal with a little cream

Lunch
low carb yogurt - Dannon
1 hardboiled egg
occassionally a can of tuna in oil

Dinner
Chicken or beef - 1 piece average size
1 serving green vegetables - 1/2 cup, either asparagus, broccoli or green beans
Salad a couple times a week consisting of lettuce, egg, bacon and cheese

snack
low carb ice cream

lots and lots of water, occassionally an hebal tea or diet soda. I gave up caffine about a month ago.

I take a WalMart vitamin like One A Day

I see others around me losing and just can't figure out why I am not. My son has lost about 35 lbs. since March and he is currently confined mostly to his bed. A co-worker decided to join me and has also lost about he same amount in a little longer time span.

I measure mostly everything that I eat - a habit from Weight Watchers.

Maybe I am not eating enough but the recent jump up in the scale that has not happened to me in at least 7 months has me scared.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 19:47
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Okay - I have a question: WHERE'S YOUR FATS, GIRL?

Go to www.fitday.com and plug in what you ate. I GUARANTEE your fats aren't at the recommended 65% of total calories.

65% from fat, 30% from protien, <5% from carbs is the approximate guideline for calorie breakdown on a keto diet.

Try that. You'll probably feel better, too.

Low carb ice cream almost always has sugar alcohols as sweeteners. Drop it.

Also, the yogurt may be a little carby.

Try adding in some fish oil - I take 6 g a day. Omega 3s can really help break a stall.

Cheese stalls some folks.

And I find avocados really helpful. Good fats, and lots of fibre, too.

- Built
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 19:49

Stats: 142/118/115 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:have no idea
Progress: 89%

Iamlindab,
I have a friend who was on Atkins with me for about three months... where I lost between 10-15 lbs, her weight remained STABLE. Some days she would weight a few pounds less and somedays more... After reading both Atkins, and The South Beach Diet books... I've learned that some people have a tolerance for this kind of diet, where as for others it is very easy to lose weight. I would sugguest, if you haven't already, reading the Atkins book. There is an ENTIRE (very helpful chapter) about people who are in your situation, and what they can do!!! Although you aren't losing the weight you hoped.. keep in mind other benefits of the program you have chosen, ie: lowered chloresterol, more energy, lost inches! Don't give up!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 19:52
Registered Member

Stats: 98/90.5/65 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 23%

WOW I would say you are not eating enough of anything.
Not enough fat protein or vegetables.
Try bacon and eggs for breakfast
I would stop the yoghurt and the ice cream and add in more protein fat and have two salads a day.
Try this for a week and see how you go.
Your body is most likely in starvation mode and trying to hang on to what ever it gets.
I am sure others will have more to say and help on this.
I know how frustrated you must be and having lost 25lb you have done very well in the past. You would know from WW that you have to eat to lose.
If you have just changed from WW it could take a little time for you body to start to accept the new way of eating.
Cheers Delia
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 19:55

Plan: low fat -to- atkins
Stats: 180/124/110 Female 5'4-5'5"
BF:36%/18.2%/???
Progress: 80%

your problem sounds just like mine!!! i've lost 60 lbs low-fat and have now converted to low-carb.. since easter, i havent lost a thing!!! i dunno what's wrong.. have you taken measurments??? i've skipped a lot of meals as well... only because im not hungry. my "meal plan" has much more fat than yours seems to have and i only do the low-carb ice cream bars if i've been good all week long.. sorry i wasnt able to help. but i just wanted to let you know that im in the same boat you are
  #8   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 19:55

I have read both the South Beach diet and Atkins New Diet Revolution. Actually, I tried South Beach first. As for the Atkins book I have read it entirely at least 2 times and several chapters many times. I also have Atkins for Life just in case I ever reach that stage.

I have been measuring myself and also am not losing inches. Oh, currently I am not working out but did all last year 3-4 times a week at Curves. I did not see any difference in measurements for several months and when my membership was up I dropped it. But, my job is very physical. I am constantly on the move. I unload several trucks a week and lift a lot of freight.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 20:08

Stats: 282.6/273.1/225 Male 6' 3"
BF:34/33/17%
Progress: 16%

Definitely check out fitday.com

From that menu, its easy to see that you're 1) not getting enough fat and 2) not getting enough to eat. Your body is most definitely in starvation mode and is trying to retain as much body weight as possible.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, May-23-04, 20:15
Registered Member

Stats: 235/175/150 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 71%

I agree with the previous posts. You dont' have enough fat in your diet, and you're not taking in enough veggies. Try using www.fitday.com to enter in your food intake . You want to be 70% fat, 25% protein, and 5% carbs. Also, make sure you take in at least 1500 calories, otherwise your body will stall, like now, thinking it is starving. Get rid of the processed low carb foods. They make many stall. Stick with the foods that are from the animal or plant source to the store, to you. Even cheese makes me stall sometimes. Eggs and bacon are a good way to start off the day, then a snack like celery with whole fat dressing, then lunch some form of meat and something green, then another snack like cucumbers, then dinner some meat and veggies. I also sometimes snack on pork rinds and cheeses or even bacon or sausage. Watch your salt intake though cuz that can make you retain and gain. Don't forget to take in at least 1/2 your body weight in ounces of water, and get in some exercize if you haven't already. Goodluck!!!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 21:44

Smile Thanks for the advice, I am taking action!

Here is my journal on FitDay. Anyone want to take a look - let me know if you think I am improving my eating. Too much/not enough
I appreciate your help.
My FitDay
  #12   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 21:57
Registered Member

BF:

Looks better - you may not need to stay QUITE this high in the fats (looks like about 75% of cals, 65%-70% should be enough, but it varies from person to person), but if it keeps you comfortable, stay there for now. How did you feel?
  #13   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 22:00
Registered Member

Plan: simple low carb :)
Stats: 165/157/150 Female 67"
BF:Have a boyfriend!
Progress: 53%

I know it's redundant:

cut out the cereal- if you are at 20g, you don't have room for it in your carb count. instead of one egg, eat 2 or 3. Make the deviled for more fat. eat veggies more than once a day. you are not eating enough food either. as I sit here eating LC ice cream myself, I will tell you not to eat it so much (I know I know). If you want LC yogurt, try Hood Carb Countdown in Vanilla. It is much more yogurt than Dannon and at one less carb.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 22:10
Registered Member

BF:

blue4lemon, I agree about the veggies, but I think it actually MAY be enough cals - Iamlindab is quite petite at 4'10". I'm 5'8", and I usually average at about 2000 a day.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, May-26-04, 22:50
Registered Member

Plan: simple low carb :)
Stats: 165/157/150 Female 67"
BF:Have a boyfriend!
Progress: 53%

Maybe her cals are on the dot, but her fiber and veggies and fat are not. I find if I dont get my fber from food or at least from supplements, I gain.