Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 18:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 138/133/118 Female 5ft 7inches
BF:
Progress:
Question Has anyone else's appetite diminished?

Hello Everyone,

I knew that this WOE would affect my appetite after the first few days when the carb cravings diminished.

I looked back over my food journal (on the side of the fridge) and noticed that I really haven't been eating a lot over the past four days. In most cases, one meal a day, a cheese stick here or there, and oh yeah, I'm addicted to green tea now.

I know that I have to eat to continue to lose weight. I know that I have to eat to make it through my day, much less my workouts.

Could it be that I'm tired of the same things? How do I get my appetite back when what I can eat is still really limited?

BTW, you all are really like my support team. So, thanks!

gr8smile
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 19:06

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

You don't have to want to eat; you just have to do it.
Plan when you are going to have a meal and keep track of the time. Make plans of what you are going to eat. If you can't finish the meal you plan, then have the rest later as a snack.

I often tend to forget lunch, but I always have a very good idea of what I intend to eat during the day.

Isn't it lovely to be in control and not at the mercy of the carbs?
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 19:42

Plan: general LC
Stats: 195/142/148 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 113%

Are you past induction? If you are then you can add in some variety. Try getting a low carb cookbook and trying some new recipes.

If you're in induction, I'd say enjoy the decrease in appetite and make yourself eat at least 3 reasonable meals a day.

I had the same problem, and sometimes it comes and goes unexpectedly. I just lose my appetite and forget to eat. But Atkins is clear that we shouldn't go more than about 6 hours during the day without some food or it affects our glucose/insulin.

Squid
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 19:42

Plan: Atkins for now
Stats: 170/170/150 Female 5'11"
BF:Dont know
Progress:

Yes, my appetite is pretty low sometimes! I find that cheese and a celery stick can be enough for lunch (and if you have asked me pre-low carb- I would have thought I would stave to death!). You may be getting sick of the same stuff, mix it up, dont let yourself eat the same things everyday, there are endless low carb recipes out there, get creative! I made creamcheese with loads of fresh garlic and a small amount of sundried tomatos in it, and a squeeze of lemon juice all mixed together, and spread it in some celery, needless to say it jazzed that snack up!

Anyways, eat when you are hungry, the body is pretty good at keeping you informed of what it needs usually.

Good luck!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 20:07

Stats: 468/371/275 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 50%

My appetite definately disaapeared about 3 to 4 weeks after I started LCing. But it reappeared a week later. I think this happens to many people.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 20:23
Phoenixa

Stats: 164/136.6/132 Female 172/5'8
BF:Yes.
Progress: 86%

Potassium deficiency sometimes makes you lose appetite. Maybe you'd like to try some pot. supplement - good for all LC:ers, since we flush pot. out with all the water we down daily. Cal/mag is good to take extra too, especially if you're working out - beneficial for your muscles and bones.

BTW, gr8smile, I saw in your profile that you are 5ft7. Isn't your set goal weight of 118lbs maybe just a tad low for a tall girl like you? I mean, you're almost as tall as me and my ultimate goal weight is 132lbs, but I feel slim already now at 137... Just a thought.

Cheers!

/gil
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 22:39
Registered Member

Stats: 260/241/200 Male 6 feet tall
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilibel
Maybe you'd like to try some pot. supplement - good for all LC:ers,

/gil

I had to snicker at that

#8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 22:46
Phoenixa

Stats: 164/136.6/132 Female 172/5'8
BF:Yes.
Progress: 86%

I *knew* someone would comment on that...
Well, we should incorporate green, leafy veggies, wasn't that what they said...

Last edited by gilibel : Tue, Jan-20-04 at 22:47.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 23:13

Plan: Atkins (started Sunday, N
Stats: 230/212/170 Female 64"
BF:HA-HA-HA
Progress: 30%

You should have a look at my journal...My calorie intake for the past 2 weeks has been 1300 calories or less...Yesterday it was 600 and something...I eat slim jims alot and I am trying to cut back on them...but since I did my calories dropped...Oh well...I just try and try to eat 3 times a day...Its usually something small but hey its something...I also have to agree with gilibel that 118 sounds really small for your height...I am 5'4 and I would look sickly at that size...But we are all built different so that is something else you have to take into consideration...If I weighed 118 I would wear a size 1 I cant imagine that...At 170 I wear a size 8-10...But good luck to you and try and add a little in here and there...I've been adding in spoons of butter, mayo and other things to increase my calories...But anyways.......GOOD LUCK
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jan-20-04, 23:46

Plan: SB
Stats: 170/164/140 Female 5"10
BF:
Progress: 20%

Hmm...I started two days ago and I've had the opposite effect...I am feeling hungry in between meals. I was hoping that after the first four days or so the excess hunger will pass!
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 07:33

Stats: 151/128/110 Female 5'1.5"
BF:Yes
Progress: 56%

Most days I am full but every once in a while I get soooooooo hungry that an entire roasted chicken will not calm my appetite.....I usually find that I woosh right after one of these weeks of hunger. HTH
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-21-04, 08:27

Stats: 138/133/118 Female 5ft 7inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Glad it's not just me...

WHEW! I appreciate the input and suggestions. BTW, reviewing the journals really helped tremendously with meal and snack ideas.

However I do have a question regarding gradually introducing more carbs, or "Climbing the Carb Ladder". I'm uncertain if you're supposed to add a new carb one week at a time (to see if it affects your progress) or if it doesn't matter which/how many carbs you add as long as you don't add over 5 grams of carbs in a week.

Any suggestions would be great!

gr8smile