Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Mon, Nov-24-03, 11:31
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/214/155 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 16%

Thanks,
I did the same thing, and I found it.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 03:11
Registered Member

Plan: Akins
Stats: 197/184/150 Female 5'3
BF:lots/less/less
Progress: 28%

Thickeners-Substitue Xanthan Gum, 100%pure fiber(0 carbs, kids!
Im a tried & true user!Brand I bought is NOW which I bought at health food store in a white plastic bottle- 5.95 & quanity should last a very long time. Start w/1Teaspoon per 1 cup liquid.Great for gravies- it doesnt lump either-I just stir into hot,bubbling liquid! Add more XG if liquid isnt thick enough.
My hubby, a lean, picky eater even likes it He says "cant tell the difference", nor can I.
Thanks to all for sharing. I'll try to help where I can
paj
  #78   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 03:19
Registered Member

Thickeners, Xanthan Gum,100% pure fiber(no carbs kids) 5.95, brand,NOW, and lots to use too. Am a tried & true user.
Start w/1 teaspoon per 1 cup liquid then add more if not thick enough. Doesnt lump either. My hubby cant tell the difference nor I. Great for stock or beef gravys...
Happy Thangsgiving.
paj
  #79   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 04:33
Registered Member

Thank you kevin! this is one awesome web site
paj
  #80   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 04:46
Registered Member

Karen, Im using acorn squash as a stand in for sweet potatoes this yr. They are really good
Just bake in oven til soft like a potato(perce if in microwave)Peal then
Add butter,cinnamon, sweetners,ect,whatever you want ~YUMMY!
Appreciate the picture of hubbard squash.
paj
  #81   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 20:03

Stats: 132/126.7/118
BF:
Progress: 38%

I have seen different people refer to the pumpking bars, but I cant find the recipe.....any quick links anyone?
thx
last15, now last pound!!

EDIT: I FOUND IT!! THIS WAS MY EXPERIENCE:

OK, I found the recipe for the pumpkin bars with cream cheese walnut frosting. I made a batch, and they didn't quite turn out right...very flat and salty, not sweet like I expected. I really needed to make it, as I purchased a "real" sugar laden one for my husband today for his bday and this is my all time favorite desert. so I tweaked it and got this. They were very fluffy, great without the icing, and my non LC hubby said he would eat this one if I make it, thus saving me money and a 90 mile trip out to amish country!! Cooked/prepared exactly the same, just different ingredients. Original was posted by 4beans4me

In one bowl, mix:

1/2 cup almond flour
1/4 cup vital wheat gluten
1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp b.soda
1/2 tsp b. powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup splenda

In separate, large bowl, mix:
3/4 cup pumpkin, not pie filling
2 eggs
1/2 cup oil.

Mix dry into wet. Pour into 13x9 greased pan. Bake at 350 for 28-35 mins in glass baking dish. 2 net carbs per square makes 20

ICING:
4 oz cream cheese softened
2 oz butter softened
1/3 cup splenda
1 tsp vanilla
Blend well and spread on cooled squares.

total nutritional w/icing:
Calories: 105
fat: 10 gr
Carb: 3 net
Protein: 3.5

these are great! thx for the recipe! I was about to raid the real no-no-roll" as it is known here!

last15, now last pound!!

Last edited by last15 : Thu, Nov-27-03 at 00:11.
  #82   ^
Old Thu, Nov-27-03, 05:59

Stats: 206/144/135 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 87%

Well, today is the big day! Good luck everyone!

I cooked a lot ahead of time last night. In my fridge I have the cranberry sauce, faux potatoes, stuffing, and a pumpkin pie cheesecake. I got sweet potatoes for the non-LC'ers and will make the pumpkin bake this morning if I have the time.

One tip, I made the first cranberry sauce recipe posted. WOAH! Really bitter! I added Splenda and now it's tasty and sweet. I used Raspberry Fifty/50 for the jam and didn't measure the Splenda but it's got to be somewhere between 1/4 to 1/2 cup for a doubled recipe. Just a warning -- use Splenda!

I'd love to hear how everyone's meals turned out. A lot of this stuff can be made for x-mas too. Reviews would be appreciated.

Happy Thanksgiving!
  #83   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-03, 18:32

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 219/184/160 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 59%

I just wanted to say thanks for the great recipes that were posted in the swap! Seeing as this is my first Thanksgiving on a low carb WOE, I was a bit scared about being surrounded by so much food! But it wasn't a problem at all, because I had some great dishes to turn to (and, of course, my cravings for "bad stuff" have been put to the wayside since I have been low carbing!)

I made the Apple Almond Turkey Dressing and prepared it separately from the Turkey...it was okay. It wasn't nearly as tasty as my family recipe stuffing, but it was a good substitute for my dressing craving. I also made the Green Bean Cassarole from this swap - this was OH SO YUMMY!!!!! My Husband loved it too! I used all cream cheese where it called for your choice of cheese. I am making this again for tomorrow (another family get together). Lastly, I made the Savory Pumpkin Nut Bake, but I made alterations. I like sweet pumpkin stuff, so I doubled the amount of sugar free syrup (I used Vermont brand that is sweetened with Splenda and Sorbitol - got it at Cracker Barrel) and I added about 2/3 cup of Splenda. Then I made a Carolina Cream Cheese Frosting (from lowcarbluxury.com) and spread it on top. Then I made the sweetened toasted pecans and made a design on top of the frosting. I know that the frosting, nuts and added splenda did raise the carb count, but I kept my portions small and it satisfied my craving for a sweet pumpkin thing. YUM YUM!

I don't post much on here, but I am an avid reader of this site. Keep up the great work and I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving!

Melissa
  #84   ^
Old Sat, Nov-29-03, 08:17

BF:

Xantham gum is the bomb! I don't understand why anyone, LC'ing or not, would use flour. It makes gravy so easily! It's fast and NO CLUMPS! Great advise. I'm using it from now on.

Everything for me turned out really well. My non-LC'ing uncle said it was the best holiday meal he's had in a LONG time. He loved the stuffing, cranberry sauce and faux potatoes which were also all LC. He even called the next day to tell me again how good everything was. SUCCESS!

The cranberry sauce was FABULOUS with Splenda added in. Just like the real thing. The stuffing I invented myself. 2 kinds of mushrooms, black olives, celery, onions, traditional stuffing spices, and LC bread (found white bread with 4 carbs per slice at Whole Foods). We went light on the bread and heavy on the veggies to cut the carbs -- YUM! I made a HUGE thing of faux potatoes -- always delish and a big hit with the guests. I even got a "WOW! These are BETTER than real mashed potatoes!" I also did a pumpkin pie cheesecake with Birdie's pecans as the crust -- another hit! We marinated the turkey in Drew's Shitake Ginger marinade (LOVE that stuff, I practically buy it by the case!).

THANK YOU everyone for tossing around recipes and ideas. I didn't even feel compelled to cheat or feel deprived or anything. I ate a REAL holiday meal with no guilt. I do admit, I felt weird eating -- it was too good to be true! I'd love to hear how everyone else made out.
Christmas is only a month away and I'd love to use some more of these recipes. Hope things went well for all! Thanks again!
  #85   ^
Old Sat, Nov-29-03, 10:49
Registered Member

Stats: 225/214/155 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 16%

Sunspine,
I'm from Canada, so we had our T'giving a few weeks ago, before I found all these goodies! Can you tell me how you did your gravy with xanthan?? I was raised doing the "traditional" make a roux with the turkey fat in the pan, etc. which I have continued to do for everyone else, and just skipped it myself. (what self sacrifice!! ;-))
So I've decided enough of that foolishness, I want GRAVY!!!!!
  #86   ^
Old Sat, Nov-29-03, 12:05

Plan: lower carb, lower GI
Stats: 298/277/240 Female 5'6
BF:yes it is
Progress: 36%

I too found the pumpkin bars on the flat side. I think next time I make them, I will put them in a smaller pan. Also, I didn't pam or butter it first, and they stuck to the pyrex dish-oh well...mine were not salty tho-hmm. Also made the pumpkin marble cheesecake, and we all liked it. ds thought it needed to be a bit sweeter. I made the orange/cranberry relish off the Atkins site, and I liked that a lot. Kinda tart. Maybe more splenda next time. I totally skipped stuffing, but no one minded, as we had plenty of other goodies. We splurged on some nice cheeses this year, and that made a nice first course.

Oh- btw, used LeCarb cinnamon ice cream with the walnut bars-very naughty! lol
  #87   ^
Old Sat, Nov-29-03, 12:10

BF:

I took the turkey drippings put it in a pot on the stove with a low flame and added about a cup or so of water. I eyeballed the xantham but it does not take a lot. I think I used about 4 tbsp or so for the drippings of a 12 lb turkey (including 4 sticks butter and some marinade hat the turkey was cooked in). I stirred it around with a slotted spoon mashing the clumps, much like you would with flour (there were not many clumps at all).

For a minute or so nothing was happening so I was going to add more xantham. Thank goodness I didn't because all of a sudden it thickened up in the course of about 3.5 seconds (that part was strange! Kind of like gravy magic!). It literally took me about 2 or 3 minutes from start to finish and I was done. My gravy was nice and thick. Doing that with flour would have taken me a LONG time and I would not have been able to get all the clumps out.

I also had out the Gravy Master (the drops that make the gravy brown). It has a few carbs so I didn't want to use it unless I HAD to. The flavor and color was fine without it so I didn't need it. I recommend xantham to EVERYONE!

Last edited by sunspine17 : Sat, Nov-29-03 at 12:14.
  #88   ^
Old Sat, Nov-29-03, 12:16
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Stillmans
Stats: 150/143/120 Female 5'7
BF:26%/24%/18%
Progress: 23%

Thanks for the yummy recipes!
  #89   ^
Old Sat, Nov-29-03, 12:36
Contributing Member

Plan: atkins-OWL
Stats: 201/162.3/150 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 76%

I used 1 Tbls. flour for my gravy (6 carbs). I didn't know about the xantham. But for all that much liquid it must have been an infintismal amount of carb for the spoonful I used. I always add it to a little liquid and blend before adding to pan. No clumps.
  #90   ^
Old Wed, Sep-12-07, 07:02
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 178/160/140 Female 5ft 4in.
BF:
Progress: 47%

these threads are so old are there new ones?