Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: Has your weekly food bill increased, decreased, or remained the same with this WOE?
Increased 351 70.48%
Decreased 66 13.25%
Stayed the same 66 13.25%
Never noticed 15 3.01%
Voters: 498. You may not vote on this poll

#76   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 07:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/180.2/175 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjsx3
Im new to the site. what does WOE stand for?
sorry

way of eating
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Fri, Jan-30-04, 09:10

Stats: 316/273/180 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Costs are way up for me as well.
  #78   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-04, 02:56
Registered Member

Stats: 144/126/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 75%

My food billl is out of control, trying to afoard a LC lifestyle while going through college is unreal. But I do stay alive and I am still losing weight! I spend a ton of money on bacon, and lunch meats. How many college students ever even eat meat?
  #79   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-04, 17:39

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 240/198/160 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 53%

Grocery bill has increased, but we (mum and I) spend a fortune less on eating out. I also save on my antidepressant prescription (or, now, the lack thereof).
  #80   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-04, 20:33
Registered Member

Plan: Southkins
Stats: 280/252/190 Female 5'9"
BF:Let's/notgo/there
Progress: 31%

I am on South Beach and just came over to this board because a guy in my office is on Atkins and is doing so great so I thought I would look through some of the threads as we talk about our diets at lunch. (It is certainly nice when you have support from other people ) Anyway, I just went shopping today and my bill is way up! I went to the Super Fresh for some of the family's food and to Trader Joe's for the rest of the items that I needed and I would say that due to the fact that I am the only one on the diet, it is an additional $40 every two weeks to my food bill. I am the only one on the diet in my house because as I have been told by all other 4 family members, they will NOT be giving up their bread! Very interesting thread!
  #81   ^
Old Sat, Jan-31-04, 23:00
Registered Member

Plan: my own design
Stats: 258/189/205 Male 6' 3"
BF:?/12%/15%
Progress: 130%

I am saving money because I am eating out at restaurants much less frequently.
  #82   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 11:48
I'm Losin' It

Stats: 190.5/190.5/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:ha/ha/18%
Progress: 0%

We were spending quite a bit at first (we are in the 2nd week of induction) but that is tapering off. Part of the problem is that I don't cook: the family joke is when I needed a new stove it was suggested that I draw circles on a cardboard box & use that!

This WOE does help me out because at least for now its pretty simple to fix something attractive and tasty.
  #83   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 20:20

Stats: 190/186.5/150 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 9%

Definately! It seems like the fresh veggies that are good for induction are out of season! Seems like I buy more meat products also but then I always have leftover for lunches! So all in all it is more expensive at the store- but the savings I am getting from not eating out all the time evens it out. Besides how could I really put a cost on a healthy way of eating!
  #84   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 22:11

Stats: 202/117/125 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 110%

Less, no junk food for me and no processed food mainly because of food allergies. But, boy do I feel better.
  #85   ^
Old Mon, Feb-02-04, 22:28

Plan: lc slim fast w/lc dinner
Stats: 246/208/130 Female 5'4
BF:36
Progress: 33%
Talking Hi Everyone!

My grocery bill just went up a bit we have just put the whole family on a lc woe. I am determined my kids are going to eat lc if I have to spend more it is worth it. My husband does not have as much control as I have so he needs all foods to be out of the house to do as he is supposed to. My kids are in shock but in a couple of weeks I think they will be adjusted. I will have to think of something else to do for Valentine's than Chocolate. I tried this in Sept. but when Halloween rolled around it got lacks and I should have stood my ground.
I usually spend about $260 every other week but this time it was $330 of course we were out of everything. I will try to do better next trip. I found some wonderful bread by sara lee and Home Pride and it was white lc. Home pride is more lc than sara lee and the family loves it. The crust is as soft as the bread so fresh.

I have not posted here much yet I am still doing a lot of reading and I am a little overwhelmed how big the board is. Lots of great info. I read a couple of hours here every night. I am just slow losing.

Tonya
  #86   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 05:41

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 237/182/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

Has anyone else noticed that the groceries in your cart, whether their cost is up or down, take up far less room than the stuff other people seem to buy? (I am an inveterate shopping cart snoop -- I love to try to figure out what other shoppers are cooking) We spent about $90 Canadian the other day at No Frills, a local discount grocery chain, and it just barely filled two of those plastic grocery cartons you put in the cart.

This WOE can be both nutrient AND dollar dense, I guess! But definitely worth it...
  #87   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 23:37

Stats: 350/199/180 Male 5'9"
BF:52%/ 18% /10%
Progress: 89%

Mine went down I guess because all I did was eatout
  #88   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 23:42

Talking I have two baskets LOL!

I have a family of 5 and we are all eating this way so I have to get two shopping carts because of all the meats I buy. I don't want my other food rubbing against the meat especially my fresh veggies. I try to shop for a two week period but I always go back to get some more fresh veggies or such.
I need to find out why I am having a stall though it seems I have been eating clean since Feb 5 but only lost 2lbs and it is very discouraging. Any ideas let me know.

Thanks,
Tonya
  #89   ^
Old Tue, Feb-03-04, 23:45

Eric your weight is falling off it looks like. Your face is much thinner than the begining weight. Keep up your hard work.

Tonya
  #90   ^
Old Wed, Feb-04-04, 13:03

Plan: atkins
Stats: 164/146.0/135 Female 64 in
BF:38.5/31/20
Progress: 62%

Costs are down at my house, especially if you count the reduction in eating out.
I used to spend $15/week for lean cuisine for lunch, and we would eat out 1-2 nights/week. Weekends were crazy with fast food for lunch etc. Now I cook meat and veggies, or salad at dinner, and bring leftovers for lunch.

My cart is filled with meat and veggies, but it helps that my husband is a hunter and a fisherman so my main costs are salad, chicken, and pork. Eggs are cheap, and we go through a lot every week. I even splurge and buy brown eggs, and it comes out cheaper than a cart filled with chips, crackers, cookies, low cal breakfast bars, and other prepared foods.

I usually just by the meat or veggies that are on sale, we eat both fresh and frozen veggies.

I don't buy any specialty low carb products. This is a place where LCing can get expensive.