Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-04, 12:43

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%

Just figured I'd check in and report ... LOL ...

I did my workouts this week ... I was doing circuits for my workouts, but wasn't getting the pump I was looking for. I think I am going to switch back to my old standby for getting cut-up ... supersets.

I'll post stats after this week ... maybe Friday morning.

I am noticing some changes in my shoulders, which is good. I need to get them just a touch bigger.

And my biceps. Always had a problem with biceps. LOL.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-04, 13:08
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

how about some progress pics of your shoulders, and biceps? ... and chest.. and back....

#63   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-04, 13:12

Maybe ... maybe ...
  #64   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-04, 13:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188/156.5/150 Female 5 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 83%

Dan...what did you do for circuits and how do you know it didn't work for you? Just curious. More information is always a good thing!

Thanks.

k
  #65   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-04, 14:13

I only did them for a week. I got a good burn from it, and it was a workout ... but when I do supersets, I sweat like a pig and I get a good pump from the workouts. I just feel that my supersets program would do me better than the circuits would.

I was just trying something new while I had a week to play around a little. Variation is always good, right?
  #66   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-04, 15:15

Plan: The Primal Blueprint
Stats: 148/119/120 Female 66 inches
BF:29%/14/12%
Progress: 104%

Got all my BFL workouts in this week, but didn't get a chance to do yoga or Pilates. I can't always make the classes, and it's hard to do a video at home. I guess I will have to try doing videos after the kids (or at least dd#2) are in bed. This will be difficult for me because I am very tired at night, but I don't know where else I can find the time. I've made progress on my LB weights this week. I will start week 5 on Sunday instead of Monday to make it easier for myself when I have to work the weekend in 2 weeks. The 2# I lost with the stomach virus (122) have stayed off at least for now. Planning to get my body fat retested Tues if a trainer is available.

Jen
  #67   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-04, 15:28
Registered Member

CaverJen, I'm not sure when I started noticing posts from you.. but I've always REALLY admired your consistant dedication to fitness and over all health - you seem like you're in excellent physical condition.

I'm glad you're in this thread, it's a boost for my motivation to see you working so hard.

Meg
  #68   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-04, 16:39

Thanks so much, Meg! I've been exercising consistently for about 7 years now. It's so much a part of my lifestyle that it's as much habit as dedication. I also feel so much better when I exercise, mentally as much as physically. Of course, there's the vanity issue as well. Dad and I always say we really work out to look good, but our excuse is it's for our health! I'm glad you started this thread. I enjoy hearing about your unique exercise routines.

Jen
  #69   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-04, 19:00
Southern Gentleman

Plan: CKD
Stats: 272/219/210 Male 70.5 inches
BF:30+/20-21/14-15
Progress: 85%

Hey Dan, have you ever tried or know anyone who's done HST (Hypertrophy-Specific Training)? I've been looking for a good lifting routine and this looks very much worth a try, just wanted to know if you have any input on it. The website is at http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_index.html
  #70   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-04, 19:34
Registered Member

what are yoga/pilates mats like? I mean the texture and feel and stuff... I have an appartment and do everything on my carpet, which gets really annoying with my hands and feet sliging all over the place. Sometimes I feel like I'm working more not to slide than I am at the exercise, even though I do my stuff in barefeet. Would a yoga mat - like the kind I'd pick up in walmart help considerably, or should I not bother?

Also - anyone know some good non machine exercises that hit the lower quad? My legs are really long and the muscles down by the knee tend to be pretty small even when the hams and upper quads start to grow. So the legs work in short shorts, but longer ones tend to make my legs look not very developed. The only one I can think is a sort of modified sissy squat (bodyweight) but it feels weird and I don't like it.

thanks,
Meg
  #71   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-04, 20:22

Plan: formerly Atkins
Stats: 350/232/225 Female 5' 8"
BF:mooooo/moo/buff
Progress: 94%

I'm thinking regular squats, front squats, single leg squats, lunges. All of those can be done with a barbell or dumbbells. Leg extnesions might work well, but that requires a machine. Good 'ol compound lifts have helped melt a lot of the flubber off of my knee/lower quad area. Sissy squats look awfully painful, but hey since you're doing all those different exercises, maybe it's for you!
  #72   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-04, 20:49

A yoga mat would help a lot. They have a sticky texture. I got mine at www.huggermugger.com. The ones at Walmart are fine; I just wanted a longer and thicker mat. Actually with your height you may prefer a longer mat. Another thing I do when I take power yoga or any class that makes me sweat is to use gymnastics chalk on my hands and feet. I also try to remember not to put on lotion before class, but that is the one "girl" habit I have. I don't know where you can buy chalk, they just gave me some at the gym where my kids go.

As far as your quads go, are you referrring to the vastus medialus (sp?), the muscle on the inside of the knee? This muscle does tend to be underdeveloped in women and can cause us knee problems. When my knees were giving me fits my chiropractor showed me some exercises. Some of them involved the resistence bands. I can't remember them right now but will post them if that brain cell gets activated. The one I remember is to sit in a chair with your feet wide apart, legs straight, feet pointing out at an angle. Then contract and release the quad. You could also try leg extensions with ankle weights keeping the toes pointed out.

Jen
  #73   ^
Old Sat, Feb-07-04, 21:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/194/140 Female 5'6
BF:Lose 50 in 2004
Progress: 46%

Hi everybody! I've been enjoying reading the posts (even though some contain verbiage that are almost a foreign language to me!) Boy, I'm sure learning though! You all sure are inspirational!

Don't giggle at me, but I thought I'd report in, too! I did walk six out of seven days this week, and I did my Curves three times along with the stomach cruches this week. This will be my plan until I reintroduce my body to normal exercise (I DO NOT think it is ready for Back Bridges, flyes, or any acronym quite yet!)

I used to love doing step aerobics, and did them regularly for several years. I stopped due to a knee injury (injured during a bad leap over rocks while hiking), and then never returned.

However, I told my husband for Valentine's Day I didn't want flowers, etc., but wanted to order a real Step with a tape for home, and he thought that was a great idea. I already have a cheap step from K-mart or something, but it is too short to do many of the moves, and my 16 year old cat uses it as a step to get on the bed! I can't wait to get it!
  #74   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-04, 07:42
Registered Member

<cheering> did my 3rd HIIT of the week on the stairs and hit all my goals!!

TAK don't invalidate your exercise because it is less intense than what some others do, the point is that you're taking it seriously and being consistant.. rather than whining about it and skipping half of your workouts!

Thanks guys for the exercise recommendations, I think I'll go with leg extensions with a weight, feet pointed out and just really squeeze and contract at the extension...maybe some slow motion karate kicks too. (once my hips are a little stronger, they're pretty tired right now)

Btw, I actually have a chalk bag already for rock climbing
  #75   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-04, 07:45

Hey Meg ... The only way I get my lower quads developed is from leg extensions, but with my current knee problems I can't handle the weight I need so I have been thinking about adding a squat/leg ext superset.

Sissy squats would be a good one too, but they are an uncomfortable exercise.

I'll poke around and see what I can find from "the boys" ... My legs don't take much work to grow, but I'm sure I can talk to one of me BB buddies who have trouble with legs and see what they do.