Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 04:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 315/283/170 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 22%

Monika,
thanks for the hug - I gave it through the phone to my BIL! He is doing better - they have taken off the nitro patch. More tests today.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 07:15
Arizona 215 lb Loser

Plan: Suzanne Somers
Stats: 327/315/190 Male 5 ft 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

I'm off to a church conference tomorrow, so my regular routine will be messed up until next Monday when I'll be back. Hopefully, I'll still be able to get in some walking between the sessions. I'll certainly try to keep up my fitness challenge. See ya!
  #63   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 07:25
Arizona 215 lb Loser

Plan: Suzanne Somers
Stats: 327/315/190 Male 5 ft 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

Quote:
Originally Posted by debmeg
well i'm back from my walk and just checking in to say how wonderful it was. walking the beautiful streets of jerusalem listening to irish music with perfect weather - i'm not sure life gets better than that! i live in such a gorgeous area and most of the time i don't appreciate it - i'm going to continue doing this every mornign and explore lots of the areas i've never walked round before. i'm thinking i might take my camera with too and take some pics - and share them here!

Wow Deborah! That's great! I would love to come along and take pictures of Jerusalem too. I've been there once, but that was years ago (1974). Tucson happens to be almost at the same latitude as Jerusalem and also has a similar climate (semi-arid), and so I often think of my visit in Jerusalem when I see the bright sun shinning here.

Take care!
  #64   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 08:17

Plan: WebMD w/LC choices
Stats: 322/297/199 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 20%

I'm happy to report that I got both my walk and workout at Curves in yesterday. I have bowling tonight, so hopefully that will burn a few more calories (one can hope, right?).

I have to modify my schedule slightly this week as I need to "bowl out" on Friday as most of my team has a prior engagement next Tuesday. Not a problem though, I'll just get my bootie up on Saturday and take care of it then. I'm totally determined to get my 3x of Curves in!! Now if I can squeeze some Body Flex time in, things would be great.

Happy exercising, everyone!
Nikki
  #65   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 11:29
... Pro-Atkins!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 312/274/220 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 41%
Thumbs up Happy Tuesday

Good Morning, Everyone!

I’m doing really well … For the last two days, I’ve been doing the 1 mile Walk Away The Pounds DVD *twice* a day in addition to my neighborhood walk! I’m not sure I can keep this up, but right now, it feels fabulous!! I can now do all the upper body stuff, too, although not with weights. I’m going to keep to the 1 mile per time, because I’m definitely wobbly after 20 minutes … but soon … 2 miles, 3 miles, who knows how many miles!! And I think I might be in a deeper level of ketosis … Every time I’ve had my urine checked at the lab, I have ketones, but I’ve never experienced ‘dragon breath’ before … so while it’s harder to be around me ~ ~ I am imagining that things are moving in the right direction. (And boy am I drinking water!! 1.5 gallons for the last few days! So I’m also getting in that walking back and forth to the bathroom exercise …)

GreenEyezz ~ I hope that darn candy bar didn’t tempt you too much last night Feel free to send your DH here for a proper cyber lashing if he does this again … How’s the butt? Still attached? I’ve heard those Firm tapes are killer intense …

Welcome Lynn!! It’s ‘JustPeachi’ to see you again! I know what you mean about hating to learn the hard way … then again, I rarely ‘get’ the easy lessons, so maybe it’s the only way I’m ever going to wise up. Maybe you could stop your scale addiction by first giving up the nightly weigh ins? I feel like I’m finally getting to the point where I would like a scale at home, but I’m afraid I’ll start weighing myself frequently, too. Ah yes, I’m definitely an ’all or nothing’ kind of girl! I’m glad you joined us!

Deborah ~ Your walk sounds wonderful! Isn’t it great to re-discover the beauty all around us? I’d LOVE to see pictures of your neighborhood! What’s going on your mp3 for walking music?

Crysania ~ I’m sorry to hear you‘re not feeling well. But … … I’m not going to let you get away with saying you haven’t got any exercise in when you’re still taking that mile walk to and from work! I know you want to do more, but give yourself credit for what you are doing - especially when it‘s so hard! Take care of yourself … I’m sending you

Darla ~ Another fan of WAP! Did your muscles get sufficiently mushy so you could sleep well? I’ve finally gotten to the point where I know the routine well enough that I’m trying to create my own ‘soundtrack’, but matching the tempo has been hard. Do you use the weighted balls? I imagine it makes the workout much more intense. I’m sorry to hear your schedule is so busy - I know it makes things much harder - but you’re keeping up your commitment to move, which is great! {Glad to hear your BIL is doing better}

Dean ~ I hope you have a great time at the conference!

Nikki ~ I visited your profile (you‘re lovely, BTW!) and got your specifics - bowling will burn 340 calories for one hour! Here’s the link where I found the information ~ Calories Per Hour ~ so you don’t need to hope, you’ll KNOW you’re doing great! Are you enjoying Curves? I know a lot of people just adore it …
  #66   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 12:29
Medival Princess

Plan: curves
Stats: 298/214/190 Female 6 ft or 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

well I got in 20 minutes of yoga today, i desided to just do about half of the exerisices for the day, still not feeling all that hot.. I have my one mile walk to go (which i turned down a ride for)
I had good news for myself today though, even having not been able to exercise this past week i broke the 50lb mark and reached my vacation goal (two weeks early i might add :P )

Monika: thanks for the hug

Crysania
  #67   ^
Old Tue, Sep-30-03, 19:58
Registered Member

Stats: 320/267/135 Female 62
BF:48%/47.70%/?%
Progress: 29%
Talking

Well...taking a few minutes from packing (kitchen ugh!!) and checking in. I went after work to my first real Curves work out. I am very happy I joined up there. I loved it. I rediscovered some long forgotten muscles.
I work on the second floor and the only way up are stairs so that should be interesting tomorrow.....

Anyways, I need to find a recipe for dinner and if I haven't packed the puter I will check in tomorrow. I may try 8 minutes in the morning, the after dinner walks aren't going so well so far.

TTYL,
  #68   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 02:07
Princess Perseverant

Plan: general LC - pregnant
Stats: 250/157/157 Female 5 foot 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Just checking in to say that I've done my daily walk. Took the same route as yesterday, although still without camera (next time). Music is the soundtrack to Lord of the Dance, AntiM. Absolutely wonderful; by turns uplifting, joyous and yearning. Music that makes me want to move. And even had a guy stop his car to try and pick me up. I said no and kept walking, but still. Flattering. :-) I am tired though. I am very sedentary most of the time so this really is the first consistent exercise I'm doing and my muscles are definitely feeling the effect even if I'm not walking that fast. Jerusalem is very hilly though, so it is up and down a lot. Hopefully I can make this a daily habit even beyond the challenge, and within a few months this will be easy for me, and I'll actually be fit for the first time in my life!

Deb
  #69   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 12:52
Contributing Member

Stats: 345/304/240 Male 5'9
BF:20.72 %
Progress: 39%

I'm checking in. Everyone is doing so well. The effort, commitment and enthusiasm that people here show is inspiring.

Hi Monika, no I haven't gotten lost. So far I have upped my walking distance from 1.2 miles and kept it consistent. I walk 1.35 miles before breakfast in the morning and 1.35 miles in the evening. I started this new distance the day before the fitness challenge started and have walked every day. My plan is to keep this new distance as part of my daily routine.
  #70   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 13:09

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

WELL I am finally starting to recover! I did my step aerobic workout today...the whole 50 minutes but I did it without the bench today since I am not fully better. I figure its less exercise but better to survive it eh? lol
  #71   ^
Old Wed, Oct-01-03, 22:49
Medival Princess

Plan: curves
Stats: 298/214/190 Female 6 ft or 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

well i got to extend my walk to work today .. i was almost there when i looked down and there was a snake about three foot ahead of me that i'd have probably stepped on.. anywho i ended up backing up and finding another trail it added like an extra 3/4 mile lol
i am like 90% positive it was just a garden/grass snake but i was not taking any chances!

Crysania
  #72   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 01:36
... Pro-Atkins!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 312/274/220 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 41%
Thumbs up Good Morning!

Hello my fellow challengers!

I took a little spill this morning while exercising, left leg just gave out. I'm a tad bit sore, but otherwise fine. I decided to skip my second 1 mile WAP walk and just strolled to the mailbox instead. I'm not interested in injuring myself by pushing too hard, that'll just put more time between where I am and where I want to go, so I'm taking it easy. Other than that, food and water intake are great!
Crysania ~ Congratulations! 50 pounds is an amazing accomplishment! I was at Cash&Carry (a small warehouse-type store) this afternoon and they had 50 lbs bags of white rice … Besides imagining how many carbs that would be (30,200 if you’re curious, too) I tried to imagine what it would feel like to strap that sucker and my back and go about my day. And you’ve done it!! One grain at a time, you've shrunk those fat cells down by 50 pounds. How cool… Maybe that snake was part of the grand scheme of things to give you extra exercise? I would have done the EXACT same thing … especially in Florida, where things can get very deadly! (In Western WA, there aren’t any deadly critters, just earthquakes and volcanoes )

Cara ~ After Curves and packing up your kitchen, I bet you’ll feel those stairs … but it’s a great reminder that you’ve woken up all those sleeping muscles. I hope your move goes smoothly!

Hi Deborah ~ You know it’s probably great for your tendons to walk those hilly streets, up and down and at a moderate pace. Don’t you love it when the weather is perfect for outdoor activity? All summer it’s been WAY too hot for Seattle, now it’s crisp and cool. I know it’s just a minor tick before the rains set in, but I love it. How will the weather change as you move into fall and winter? I bet that Lord of the Dance will keep you bouncing along!

Marty ~ You are doing great! And how could you possibly get lost when you’ve found the road to greater health?! I love that you are taking those extra steps and adding them to your routine. You’re gonna get there, Mr. Mudknife!

Jessie ~ I am so glad you’re feeling better!! And it’s probably really smart to workup to your former level of intensity … that bench will be there when your body has recovered.
  #73   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 01:59
Princess Perseverant

BF:

Hi everyone, Hi Monika,

Woke up earlier this morning so was out by 8.30 to do my walk. I've followed the same route for the last 3 days, which is a really lovely one. Wish I knew what the actual distance was - none of the maps I've found have a scale on them. Still, with no extra little detours, walking the main streets took me about 50 minutes, medium speed. How far do you think that is?

I almost started out this morning listening to Avril Lavigne (I have a cd with 700mb of music on it) but no, after 2 minutes I just had to have that Irish music back on.

The weather here, to answer your question AntiM, really falls into two seasons, although again that depends where you are in the country. For such a tiny place (smaller than the state of New York) it has amazing weather contrasts, desert, tropics, mountainous, etc. Because Jerusalem is elevated, we have cooler weather than a lot of the rest of the country (thankfully!) so it's not humid here like it is just 20 minutes away where my sister lives, for example. We've had very mild winters in the past few years (not actually a good thing as we're very dependent on rain), but on average summer will last from april to october. That means no rain, clear skies, and heat, although obviously it's not as hot now as it was in july/august. I just checked the weather and it says it'll be 23 degrees (76 fahrenheit i think) here in Jerusalem, which is slightly cooler than usual for this time of year, and this is one of the coolest places in the country so everywhere else will be a few degrees hotter at least. Winter in Jerusalem can be quite cold, but usually won't go below zero. We have snow every so often, but not every year. And we're practically the only place in the country that gets cold enough for snow - you often get others from nearby trying to drive in to Jerusalem to see the snow because it hasn't fallen in the valleys near them and they want to see it - of course the traffic is an absolute nightmare because things basically collapse in the snow! We don't really have Fall or Spring as such - just a few weeks of slightly cooler weather before either the heat moves in, or the cold moves in. That kind of weather is often March and November. Practically all the trees here are evergreen, so we don't get the leaf fall (shame, cos I loved that time of year in England). Anyway, enough of me talking about weather... time to do some work! Currently proofreading Twain's A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court.

Deborah
  #74   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 02:02
Princess Perseverant

BF:

and just to complete my weather synopsis for those who haven't fallen asleep yet, summer temperatures in Jerusalem will average in the mid 30s (around 90 fahrenheit?) but a few times a year we have what's called a hamsin or sharav - heatwave when desert winds come in. They tend to last a couple of weeks, and everything rises - the temperature, the humidity, the sweat factor... not much fun. At those times even the normally dry heat of Jerusalem turns into a sauna and you either sit all day in air conditioning or pray that it'll be over soon... of course since next week is a fast day I'm anticipating, of course, that the temperatures will go up!

Deborah
  #75   ^
Old Thu, Oct-02-03, 04:27

Plan: My own
Stats: 322/277/175 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 31%

Hi challengers

I'm doing fine here on my exercising. I did lower the intensity of my cardio workouts a bit since my body has been telling me it is ready for a little break. This week I have been not been doing the high intensity cardio, but doing a moderate intensity for a longer period. I'll get back to the high intensity cardio next week. So this morning I will do 1/2 hour of cardio to finish out my week here.

My eating has been great this week, and after my battle with the food monster last weekend I am even down another pound!

Monika - I hope you are feeling OK after your fall. Listen to your body and don't try to push it too much until you are better.

Deb - thanks for the descriptions of your walks and Jerusalem. I really enjoy reading about it

Crysania - WTG on the 50 pounds!! I use 25# dumbbells on some of my exercises and 50 pounds is a lot!!

I hope everyone is working to meet their goals and to keep the promises they made to themselves. Have a great finish to week one!! I'm off to go sweat

Mary