Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 09:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatofree
Okay.. I got my first box of stevia. I thought it was disappointingly small, until I saw it contained over a THOUSAND servings!!! Each serving is the size of a sesame seed, it says.. what's the best way to measure it??? A wet toothpick and a prayer???

Kidding aside, a thousand-odd servings for about 6 bucks... not too shabby!

I use 1 tsp to sweeten 2 Quarts/Liters (1/2 Gallon) of liquid. Some use less...But, I prefer my drinks strong. The little scooper included with the KAL Extract is 1/32 tsp if I remember correctly. I would probably use 1/16-1/8 tsp (2-4 little scoopers) to sweeten an 8 oz. Beverage. You can also try 1 little scoop, taste, add another, taste...until you reach desired sweetness.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Thu, Aug-21-03, 21:08
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen T
In Canada, Sugar Twin is made with cyclamate .. and the liquid is zero carbs. Alas, cyclamate is not permitted in the US. I believe that US Sugar Twin is made with aspartame

Saccharine is available as a zero-carb liquid .. available in US and Canada as Sucaryl. WalMart is likely to have it.

hth,

Doreen

Sweet10 and Sweet-n-Low are saccharine. I get either/or in liquid, no carb form. I can double-chack the box, but I'm sure Sugar Twin is also saccharine.

Last edited by potatofree : Thu, Aug-21-03 at 21:10.
  #63   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-03, 07:04

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 175/154/135 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%
Default Stevia -- better for you than others sweeteners?

I bought Stevia and found it a little bitter, but I have been using it sporadically, putting it in my tea (i have to have a little sweet in my tea with cream), and mixing some in my ricotta puddings. Guess what?? I have been getting used to it. So does anyone know about this product? I didn't do enough research, except to know that Drs. Eades recommend it, so it must be good.
  #64   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-03, 07:55

BF:

Stevia is a natural herb from South America. It has been safely used by the Guarini Indians for thousands of years. It has been safely used in the US for 100+ years. It is the #1 sweetener in Japan, surpassing even Sugar. The stuff is perfectly safe...and may even be beneficial.
  #65   ^
Old Sat, Sep-06-03, 09:56

BF:

Thanks cc - that's great information!
  #66   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 18:17

Stats: 190/169/150 Male 5'8"
BF:

Hey People,

I am looking into Stevia and have found some info on it.
www.wholefoods.com/healthinfo/stevia.html
I've also found a place to buy it online. I was wondering if
anyone else might use this source or if anyone might know
if the prices are reasonable.
I hope someone finds this useful.
www.healthyshopping.com/sweetleaf/
  #67   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 22:20

Stats: 250/237/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 11%

I have been using Splenda most of the time, but decided to try Stevia last week. Purchased a box of 50 packets for $7.49 at my local pharmacy. Not sure about the prices in health food/nutrition stores. It seems a little more bitter than Splenda, though. I ran across an article online that ranked Splenda in the same danger zone as saccharin and aspartame for causing health problems, especially cancer. I don't know how true it is, but it made me look for an alternative. Just wish Stevia wasn't so expensive.
  #68   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 04:14

BF:

My local HFS had it for $8.95 / 100 packets.
  #69   ^
Old Mon, Sep-08-03, 18:53

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

mental note: get some Stevia tomorrow.

I've been using about 6 packets of Splenda a day in Coffee.. the carbs add up fast.. I need to try this Stevia...
  #70   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-03, 18:36
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Guess I'll dig out a bunch of the other posts on Stevia (the SEARCH feature is really handy) and merge them here.

..... here goes.
  #71   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-03, 10:19
Registered Member

Plan: C.A.L.P. and Bernstein
Stats: 204/176/-140 Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 8%

Is there any brand of Stevia that has less of the liquorish taste? I am one of those people who absolutely detest liquorish and haveing bought three boxes of Stevia from New York to the UK I really would like to use them so could anyone recommend any types of recipes that would mask the taste?

By the way, just for a laugh, my first experience with Stevia was with the powdered whole leaf (green) and I decided to make a baked egg custard (Atkins Flan I think you call it). I will leave the finished result to your imaginations. Ick!
  #72   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-03, 18:44

BF:

Well, I ordered some from the links I gave in post 66 of this thread. I have to say that I will not be using anthing but stevia now. I still don't know if the prices are great here[$20.00/4.0oz bottle](1200servings). But this product is not bitter at all. Unlike the first stevia brand I bought.
[stevita brand]
  #73   ^
Old Mon, Sep-22-03, 13:04

BF:

Ya know what's good......Stevia clear in your water.
No aftertaste at all....taste like fruit20.

Anyone notice an aftertaste if used in hot stuff like
coffee?
I do....unless I put it in the coffee before I heat it up.
  #74   ^
Old Tue, Sep-23-03, 06:29

Plan: Low Carb Lifestye, Atkins
Stats: 515/474.5/180 Male 71 Inches
BF:Got Some
Progress: 12%

I use the liquid Stevia in unsweetened kool-aid and its great, 1 tsp = 1 cup of sugar and dont use more as it is very sweet and too much will leave an aftertaste.

The kool-aid can then be used as a drink, for ice pops or as a mixer.
  #75   ^
Old Thu, Sep-25-03, 11:58

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazbar

Quote:
AHPA has also been supplying the FDA with hundreds of pharmacological and toxicological studies from around the world, to support the safety status of stevia. The FDA has been reticent to accept these studies yet, ironically, they used a flawed Brazilian study using 7 mice as evidence why it may not be safe. In this study, the 7 "control" group mice which did not receive stevia all became pregnant (as mice will tend to do). Of the 7 mice administered stevia, 1 mouse didn't become pregnant. From this, the FDA made the ludicrous claim that stevia had a 14% contraceptive factor.

I knew that the FDA had used a study showing it might have a contraceptive effect to blackball it...But, until that link I didn't know how the study was conducted. Aspartame killed one of the Monkeys in its studies and gave the other 6 Seizures, yet it was approved. Stevia kept one rat from getting Pregnant and it was banned. Now, you can't tell me there's no graft going on there.

Also, the FDA seems to miss this:

US Population -- 290,342,554

48.5% are male, which would be approximately: 140,816,139 men. Since men can't get pregnant anyways, we can deduct them from the susceptible population. We can also deduct those under 14, since they probably should not be getting pregant anyways. We should also deduct those over 65, since they are almost certainly post-menopausal and cannot become pregant. That leaves 97,061,559 women between 14 and 65. Even a substantial percentage of those Women would likely be past their baby-bearing years or otherwise infertile. On top of that many of the remainder are likely not trying to conceive at this point in time anyways. That means upwards of 75%, probably closer to 90% of the people in this country aren't having children right now. Figure a 14% contraceptive rate and that means <3.5%, probably as low as 1.4% of the population would be effected. That would reduce the birth rate from 14.1 per 1,000 to 13.9 per 1,000, which is still 3 per 1,000 higher than the birth rate in England; 1.5 per 1,000 higher than France; etc..Basically, our birth rate would still be higher than most of the rest of the FIRST world...and that is assuming that everyone consumed Stevia. Even if the claim [of a contraceptive effect] were true [which it isn't,] we could simply advise women seeking to conceive to avoid it...and it would have no effect on the birth rate.

Last edited by cc48510 : Thu, Sep-25-03 at 12:07.