Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sun, Nov-14-04, 22:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/125/125 Female 5 2
BF:33/25/20
Progress: 100%

Hi RROSER, I too am Insulin Dependent Diabetic (I don't produce any insulin - got this disease when 30 years old). I could not agree with you more on the carbquik. Tell me, have you tried Dreamfields pasta? What are your blood sugar levels immediately and more important over the longer term (i.e. at least 2 hours later) - I am curious!

Folks, I tried to make LC carbquik yorkshire puddings. They did not turn out too well (I made the flour ones at the same time) - I really need just the plain old Carbalose flour. They did not absorb much of the beef au jus and did not rise and get hollow inside. I will try again however....
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sun, Nov-14-04, 22:42

Plan: none
Stats: 225/168/135 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Steph Z,
You can read my Dreamsfields post here:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...t=184335&page=4

I had a heartattack last February and found out I was diabetic. I was put on insulin right then and there. Never had a chance to do diet/exercise or meds.
  #48   ^
Old Sat, Nov-20-04, 21:34
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Wow! Just tried it out tonight and made the Cheddar Cheese biscuits. I'm in heaven! They're so fabulous!
  #49   ^
Old Sun, Nov-21-04, 19:19

I tried to improvise the chocolate cream impossible pie. The top 1/2 turned out well; the bottom part was like a custard, but did not go well with the chocolate. Plus the mix tasted fabulous when blended in the blender.

Too bad, as the carb count was pretty low (21 total net for a 9 inch pie- used Diabetisweet rather than Splenda; and used DairyLand low carb milk).

Has anyone had better luck with Carbquik and impossible dessert pies?
  #50   ^
Old Sun, Nov-21-04, 20:26

Plan: General
Stats: 200/200/170 Male 74
BF:
Progress: 0%

I've made the drop biscuits, macmac's sour cream biscuits, pancakes, waffles and pound cake. All were good, but I overcooked the pound cake, but it tasted more like a corn muffin anway. Waffles were a bit grainy, but otherwise tasted well.

I look forward to trying the pie crust recipe. I really miss my wife's chicken pot pie!

Very impressed so far, I've ordered and recieved 3 3 lbs boxes. Thinking about trying that other flour that was linked in this thread as well.

Maybe we should have a thread in the recipe forum for posting successful recipes?

**edit** On my new boxes of Carbquik, the partially hydrogenated soybean oil has been replaced by palm oil, no trans fats at all!
  #51   ^
Old Mon, Nov-22-04, 15:52

Plan: none
Stats: 225/168/135 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I have made the Impossible Coconut Pie and it turned out great. However the chocolate pie left a lot to be desired. When I took it out of the oven it was a beauty. It puffed up about 2" or more. Upon cooling it fell to about a half a inch. It tasted pretty decent so it did not go to waste.

The rolled and dropped biscuits were very good, but I liked the dropped better. I tried the pancakes using buttermilk and had to thin them. I thinned them too much because they came out like crepes instead.

Yesterday I made banana bread, but I need to adjust the mix. I went by a old bisquick recipe that called for 3 cups of mix. It was too much because it came out too breadey. More like banana biscuits and not so tender like banana bread should be.

CarbQuik is very 'thirsty' so you should either lessen the mix or add more liquid to get the right texture IMHO.
  #52   ^
Old Mon, Nov-22-04, 22:01

rrosser - did your chocolate impossible pie turn out like mine - the crust was really a custard (beige, not chocolate) - more like a cooked egg bottom and no where like a bready crust? The top half tasted wonderful and the mixture, when blended was wonderful....it appeared the egg dropped and not the carbquik.

And the coconut pie? How many carbs per slice/per pie? I tried the chocolate, because the carb count was just over 20 NET for the entire pie.

Yellow-man, sounds like you are a either a serious body builder or a marathon runner, if your goal is 10% body fat. I have a body fat scale and offer to test/endoctrine all my friends and colleagues (they quicky are angry with me....cause no one is ever happy with their BF measure and most folks are "overfat" and won't admit it....these are non LC folks, of course!) , and even the thinnest of people are no where near the bottom of the guy "normal" range....most thin, thin guys are about 15% at the least. But I know no marathon runners. Good luck!
  #53   ^
Old Wed, Nov-24-04, 21:42

Stats: 248/138/125 Female 5 ft. 3
BF:
Progress: 89%

I tried the Carbquik today!

The biscuits were really good and then I tried fried doughnut holes and they were pretty good too!

The best thing is that I tested my blood sugar levels before I ate the doughnut holes and it was 91...I tested it an hour later and it was 89! (I am not diabetic or even pre...but I do test to see how different foods affect me as my Dad does have diabetes)

I am now quite anxious to try many different things with this mix... things like onion rings, chicken and dumplings, batter fried fish, biscuits and sausage gravy....I could just go on and on.... just hope it doesn't slow down my weight loss, but it shouldn't as I do count calories.
  #54   ^
Old Thu, Nov-25-04, 00:11
Registered Member

Plan: My Version of M/E
Stats: 284/000/140 Female 65 inches
BF:54%/49.5%/25%
Progress: 197%

Made an olive, garlic, rosemary and parmesan bread (was supposed to be foccacia but more like bread) to have with Thanksgiving dinner. It WAS AWESOME!!! I will make this again and crumble it up, dry it out and use it for oyster stuffing using different flavors for the seasoning. I also made an Impossibly easy cheesecake and added unssweetened chocolate and coffee for a mocha flavor. I used DaVinci syrup instead of granular splenda and the carb count was much lower. It is in the fridge and we haven't tried it yet. Will let you know how it turned out.
  #55   ^
Old Thu, Nov-25-04, 11:05

Plan: General
Stats: 200/200/170 Male 74
BF:

Stephz,

Pie crust recipe worked out well! I'm no marathon runner, or even a competitive bodybuilder. 10% bodyfat for me eating and working out NHE style is attainable for myself. I did a 3 month BFL challenge and dropped BF from 18 to 13% or so, so for me it's not terribly difficult, and NHE offers the flexbility to maintain/gain muscle while decreasing bodyfat while enjoying a wide variety of food.

Lynnp, recipe please =)
  #56   ^
Old Thu, Nov-25-04, 18:58

Made some Cranberry Loaf and it was great. Just followed the blueberry muffin recipe on the www.carbalose.com site and used cranberries instead of blueberries. Very tasty!
  #57   ^
Old Sat, Nov-27-04, 14:13

Plan: Ketogenic LCHF
Stats: 240/157/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%
Default Carbquick Recipes

There is a thread of carbquick recipes in the "Kitchen Help" section here on the board. Wasn't sure if any of you have seen it there before...I just posted a recipe and it occurred to me that y'all might be interested. I would put a link here, but I'm technologically challenged!
  #58   ^
Old Sun, Nov-28-04, 01:06
Registered Member

Plan: My Version of M/E
Stats: 284/000/140 Female 65 inches
BF:54%/49.5%/25%
Progress: 197%

Yellowman,

Here's the recipe for foccacia with info after:

Focaccia (Italian Garlic-Cheese Bread) (Chef Greg)

1 package dry yeast
1 cup warm water
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup olive oil
2 2/3 to 3 cups Carbquik
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
Fresh or dried rosemary leaves

Dissolve yeast in water. Let stand until bubbly. Stir in sugar, salt and olive oil. Add 2 cups Carbquik and beat until elastic. Stir in 2/3 cup more Carbquik. Knead for 10 to 15 minutes. Put into a greased bowl. Turn over to coat well. Cover and let rise for 1 hour. Heat 1/4 cup oil. Add garlic and cook until soft and yellow. Set aside.

Punch dough down and knead briefly. Roll with a rolling pin and stretch to fit a greased 15 x 10-inch cookie sheet (with sides). Pierce dough with the end of a wooden spoon at 1-inch intervals. Drizzle garlic and oil all over. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and rosemary. Let rise, covered, for 10 to 15 minutes. Bake at 400 degrees F for 15 to 18 minutes.

Alternate Toppings
Rosemary: Just before baking, dimple the top of the dough and drizzle with 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, sprinkle on 1 teaspoon sea salt or kosher salt and a sprinkling of fresh or dried rosemary leaves

I added the oil, garlic and parmesan to the dough. It turned out more like a cookie dough and there is no way I could have rolled it out. I let it rise and then pushed it into the 1/4 sheetpan (oiled). I drizzled olive oil on top and sprinkled with rosemary. I also added a can of chopped black olives to the dough. I baked as instructed and it was AMAZING!!! My husband is still raving about it. It has held up well too. For the past 2 days I have had a slice topped with mayo, roast beef and cheddar.

The possible variations are endless.

I cut it into 8 nice sized pieces and my fitday breakdown was as follows per serving:

Calories 228
Fat 16g
Carbs 27g
Fiber 19g
Protein 11g

I also made the impossibly easy cheesecake and it was really good too. My husband is a cheesecake freak and even he liked it.

Hope this helps.

lynnp
  #59   ^
Old Fri, Dec-03-04, 21:20

Plan: low carb
Stats: 150/150/120 Female 5'6
BF:

Finally the day has come when Carbquik arrived in my local Sam's Club! I live in semi-south Indiana so I've been expecting it! Tonight I made the chicken parmagian recipe on the box and the beadstick recipe as well.
The carbquick breading was a really nice change of pace for the chicken because it was so wonderfully "biscuity," very hearty and delicious. Fluffy yet crispy at the same time. The breadsticks were also awesome. They had bits of pepporini and them and were brushed with garlic butter. They were also AMAzING. Its the first type of "bread" Ive had in the last 8 months and it tastes way better than I ever remembered.
We have houseguests this weekend and I served the meal for them too. Huge raves all around. I never even mentioned that I had used a low carb baking mix!! Everyone loved it!!
  #60   ^
Old Mon, Dec-06-04, 06:40

Plan: Ketogenic LCHF
Stats: 240/157/150 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

I jsut drove through southern Indiana this weekend, but couldn't get my husband to stop long enough for me to check at Kroger's to see if they carried the Carbquick. I've been ordering mine online, though, and that's worked out fine...just wanted to avoid shipping charges since I was so close to a store that might have it.

Oh well...