Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-04, 01:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/145/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 69%

I was on Atkins both before and after I had my gallbladder removed last September. The weight loss for me is MUCH slower than it was the first time around. I was on maintenance with Atkins before I had it out, and in fact, the reason I gained weight was that I was so sick for a while after I had my gall bladder out that I ate a bunch of starchy low fat foods trying to settle my stomach. At any rate, all though it is going more slowly now, I DO still lose, just not nearly as fast as I did the first time (which was pre-surgery)
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-04, 09:44

Stats: 190/145/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 69%

Along these same lines I was also going to say, after I first had my gall bladder removed I had horrible problems with diarrhea, but these have subsided, and as my digestive problems have subsided, I find I am able to lose weight on Atkins more quickly again. I honestly think it just takes your body a few months to adjust to not having your gall bladder anymore.
  #48   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-04, 18:44

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/223/190 Male 74
BF:
Progress:

I think the memory aid is still very applicable, and would venture that a fair amount of individuals with gall bladder issues fit into atleast a few of those categories. This mnemonic isnt meant to replace a good physical exam and diagnostics, but rather to aid in your differential diagnosis. Granted, if your having right upper quadrant tenderness with occasional radiation to your back/scapula, problems with greasy foods, etc. then by all means you should get an ultrasound regardless of where you stand in relation to the "out of date" memory aid. I guarantee there will be people on this forum, who experience massive weight loss, that will develop stones as a result of their dieting.
-Getz
  #49   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-04, 18:57

Plan: DANDR
Stats: 191/153/145 Female 66.5
BF:
Progress: 83%

Quote:
I guarantee there will be people on this forum, who experience massive weight loss, that will develop stones as a result of their dieting.

I did a search and couldn't find any reports by people who are on the LC WOL/WOE who think it caused their gallbladder disease. If you are drinking the amount of water recommended you keep your system flushed and healthy. Dr Atkins addresses this issue in his book, Dr Atkins' New Diet Revolution.

What makes you say this WOE will cause gallbladder disease?
  #50   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 00:55
Registered Member

Stats: 289.5/275/190 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 15%

I had my gallbladder removed when I was 23 years old. In my post op appointment, my doctor told me that I had over 200 stones. He compared my gallbladder to one of a 70 old woman! Prior to having it removed, I was vegetarian for several years for years after than I was a poor college student who lived on cheap refined carbs like pasta, cereal, rice and lots of sugary candy.

It's my understanding that eating fatty foods doesn't cause gallstones. But if you have lots of gallstones, one or more large gallstones and a diseased gallblader, and you eat fatty meals, you are more likely to have attacks.

Even if we do loose weight slower as a result of having it removed, I would not go back to those horribly painful attacks. They brought me to tears each time.