Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-02, 09:39

Plan: The Carbohydrate Addict's Lifespan Program
Stats: 190/140/135 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 91%
Default immunity

Shoot..... even if it had nothing to do with malnutrition imagine the impact on her system from the medications and the surgeries themselves.

Weather or not folks agree on weight loss surgery we MUST all agree that this woman certainly helped educate people considering this option. It must be a big eye opener for those who will be taking this route.

With best wishes,
Libby
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-02, 11:20
Registered Member

Plan: Lutz
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 100%
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by Kristine
If the trade off is a lifetime of malnutrition and nausea... what's the lesser evil?
Except that what the poor lady got was not "a lifetime of malnutrition and nausea," but an early death. (Besides, "lifetime" and "malnutrition" is an oxymoron, believe me.)
Quote:
Originally posted by nsmith4366
I do not think that her family would find this comforting news in any respect
It still doesn't change the facts and it would be critically misguided to sweep it under the rug.
Quote:
Originally posted by nsmith4366
this . . . certainly would not serve to bring her back now
If at least it could help others not make this deadly mistake, it would not be entirely in vain. Yet, what a heavy price to pay in order to "educate" others...
Quote:
Originally posted by Libbyfcr
even if it had nothing to do with malnutrition
Trust me, anyone with medical training reading her story will discern both the symptoms and cause of severe malnutrition, just surgically induced.
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-02, 12:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 050/029/000 Female 5ft, 8 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default Most often diseases don't actually kill people.

But rather, it is the complications from those diseases. In Patricia's case, her whole body was compromised from this surgery. First there was trauma from the surgery itself, then the complications related to not being able to eat the proper foods. We also have to remember that when you continually throw up, your esophagus can be eaten away from the acids(in her case, though, I'm not sure there were even acids there to digest the foods that she did eat) With all the malnutrition, I'm sure her immune system just gave out.

You body is meant to work in synergy, and when the is one part malfunctioning, it will affect the rest of your body.

I know that my brother died from throat cancer, but I feel that it was really because of this surgery. His immune system was so badly affected that he could have died of any number of things. Maybe because he was a long time smoker, it was just the cancer that surfaced first. But then because of his extremely poor health, he couldn't even get well enough to have the surgery to remove the cancer.

I feel too that Patricia was very brave to reveal this whole ordeal to the world. We are all on earth to serve a purpose and it is sad to think that Patricia was meant to go through all this just so that we could learn and not make the same mistakes. But she has impacted many lives and has undoubtedly saved many. I hope her children will be proud of her.
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Apr-10-02, 13:51

Plan: Careful Low Carb Plan
Stats: 335/295/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Unhappy Still haven't been able to access the site!

Thank you kindly to those who copied her story on this thread tho. I'm thankful that she honestly reported some of the health concerns that followed. Man, it's too bad that she didn't realize that she could lose the weight in a healthy way and find control with Low Carbing. Because the surgery imposed control, but to the extreme. What a life altering experience...to feel like you're going to puke every time you eat. Ugh! No thank you. And how can having a "thinner" body be worth having all those health problems. It confirms my thoughts that there's no way one could eat enough nutrition with the food portions allowed after surgery. Wouldn't it be better to LEARN how to eat right, than to limit your life so profoundly. Her life was cut short...the ultimate limitation. I feel for her family. I still want to get to the website, but for now it was helpful to read her story. But, so so sad. Victoria (She was my age, by the way.)