Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Jul-28-04, 12:27

Plan: Atkins, Zone
Stats: ---/155/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

Did any one see this pasta in Montreal somewhere?

thanks
Lan
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Aug-04-04, 14:20
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxspeed
What about the 62 g / cup ??? How can it be 8 net grams... Does this stuff really work?

Sounds to me like they're fudging the Nutrition Facts label by playing with the "net carbs" definition, which doesn't really exist as a legal definition.

Total Carbohydrates, Dietary Fiber, Sugar Alcohols, Sugars only are defined Nutrition Facts terms.

Glycemic Index is an individual food/blood sugar response term (not a label term).
Glycemic Load is a function of Glycemic Index times (Total minus Fiber) Carbs, loosely speaking.

Anecdotal evidence says that the pasta works, mostly, for most people, as a lower Glycemic Index product, which is NOT the same as a lowered or low carbohydrate product... In other words, like sugar alchohols, "your measurement may vary". Individual responses, like 'digestive upset' or gas, seem to indicate the carbs aren't being digested very well...hence the lower blood sugar response.

Also (and again anecdotally), if it's cooked and stored for any length of time (i.e., leftovers) or reheated, the coating breaks down or something and it causes an increased blood sugar response.

It goes on my potential-treat-to-be-tried-on-the-weekend list...I found a goodly supply of 4 different shapes at the Real Canadian Superstore recently, in with the other pastas and not with the Atkins products, and picked up the linguine.

Last edited by IslandGirl : Wed, Aug-04-04 at 14:29.
  #33   ^
Old Sat, Jun-25-05, 16:52
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/170/145 Female 5"7 1/2
BF:
Progress: 62%
Default Dreamfields: find store near you or buy on line:

http://www.dreamfieldsfoods.com/productorder.html

I love this stuff...have used 3 times in about a month and have had no slow downs or adverse reactions.
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Jun-27-05, 08:55

Stats: 242.5/188/160 Female 5'6
BF:size 22/14/10
Progress: 66%

There's something i just don't get... I read posts this morning on The Atkins diet section here about Dreamfields pasta and people were talking about 5g carbs by serving... On my box it clearly states 8g carbs. What's the catch?
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Jun-27-05, 11:13
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosiQuebec
There's something i just don't get... I read posts this morning on The Atkins diet section here about Dreamfields pasta and people were talking about 5g carbs by serving... On my box it clearly states 8g carbs. What's the catch?

I have a hunch the difference has to do with labelling laws between Canada and the US. They're much stricter here, and can't get away with "creative carb math" like they do in the states. Some things they allow to be called "functional fiber" in the states, it's not approved in Canada and must be declared as a full carb.

I would take the higher carb count just to be safe

my 2¢

Doreen
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Jun-27-05, 12:37
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosiQuebec

Might be the different type of pasta you get I believe the spagetti and languni are 5 but I'm not at home to look to be sure. Did you go to the web site I have above. http://www.dreamfieldsfoods.com/healthyfaqs.html
  #37   ^
Old Mon, Jun-27-05, 18:17

Stats: 140/125/125 Female 5 2
BF:33/25/20
Progress: 100%

I understand that in the US the digestable carbs are 5 per 2 oz or 56 g serving and in Canada 8 digestable carbs per 85 g serving - the difference is in the serving size (no doubt our CND govt labeling police require this). I found this same difference with the Keto pasta when it first came into Canada a long time ago.

Personally I doubt the carb claims - pasta is high in carbs, but low on the glycemic index so the "fabricated net" would be alot lower than the whopping 60+ grams. I wish someone would submit this product to www.glycemicindex.com for independant testing/verification.
  #38   ^
Old Tue, Jun-28-05, 06:35
Registered Member

BF:

Please see this thread...I found it very informative. http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...ight=dreamfield
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Jun-28-05, 19:53
Registered Member

Plan: Modified
Stats: 295/285.4/260 Male 193
BF:
Progress: 27%

It's sold at the Superstore in the west end of Edmonton as well
  #40   ^
Old Tue, Jun-28-05, 21:00

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 254/227/150 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 26%

There is a really cool store on Upper James on the Hamilton Mountain in the Winner's Plaza called "Totally Low Carb" that you should check out.