Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 11:11
Registered Member

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 120/108/97 Female 4'11
BF:
Progress: 52%

Originally posted by Sweet100:

Quote:
Is your fat level >65% of your calories and protein <30% of your calories???

I really wouldn't know exactly cos i just started my Fitday about 2 days ago but i think that maybe that could be one of the reasons i never got to ketosis cos i had way too much fat (i'm guessing like 75%) and too little proteins. That makes me wonder ... when doing atkins does it matter the percentages of Fat and Protein intake? Does anyone know about this?
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 11:17
Registered Member

Plan: hi prot/carb/cal cycling
Stats: 138.5/133.5/120 Female 64 inches
BF:20%
Progress: 27%

today's menu is

flax o meal cereal, 1/4 cup ricotta, tsp butter, tbls cream

1/4 cup macadamias

5oz chicken, 2 cup spinach, 1/4 cup almonds, 1/2 apple, peanut butter almond oil dressing

1/2 apple, 1tbls peanut butter, 1/4 cup cocunut cream pudding

3 eggs, 4 pieces bacon

this gives me about 1850-1900 cals

saturated fat is about 30%, mono is about 65%
  #33   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 11:23
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/189/135 Female 5'5"
BF:42%/38.1%/20%
Progress: 17%

is this your own menu or does someone dothis up for you. sounds good to me and very sensible.i love flax cereal but was afrait to have it. do you use milk? If not how do you eat it. lol obviously by mouth but you klnow what i mean...
  #34   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 13:26

Plan: Atkins /NHE/CKD
Stats: 289/219/200 Male 5' 8"
BF:41%/20%/18%
Progress: 79%

Flax o meal home made and cheaper.
Heat 1/2 + water add 3T flax meal add Splenda, salt and Cinnamon to taste. Let is sit a couple of minutes.
Enjoy.
Jag
  #35   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 13:31
Registered Member

i tried that Jag, it deos not taste nearly as good as the cereal, which only costs 7$, and the cereal has way more fiber in it from oat bran which I like. But, this might work for some others.
  #36   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 13:32

Plan: Atkins /NHE/CKD
Stats: 289/219/200 Male 5' 8"
BF:41%/20%/18%
Progress: 79%

I a cheap skate. I spend my allowance on Supplements, who has money for food (just kidding)
I suppose you could always add some Oat bran. Flax O meal does taste better no doubt.

Jag

Last edited by jagbender : Fri, May-14-04 at 13:41.
  #37   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 13:34
Registered Member

I do my own menus, the cereal actually tastes liek cream of whet it is a hot cereal, so I add the ricotta, cream, also splenda and sometimes SF maple syrup..or you could add almonds...the list is endless. I also eat alot of avocados each week. Dinner is usually some sort of pretein, salmon, white fish, beef etc or eggs. If I have the proteins then I have about 1/2-1 cup veggies with butter on them. It is not hard once you get the plan down, now it only take sme about 10 minutes to plot out my menus. On my carb up days I have bagels, red vines, cereal, pop tarts, pasta in marinara...all the high gylcemic low fat carbs. It really is the best of both worlds because your taste buds are really satisfied.
  #38   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 14:31
Registered Member

Plan: Metabolic Surge
Stats: 170/139/? Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by liftnlady
...now it only takes me about 10 minutes to plot out my menus...

I LOVE that part. The plotting. Makes it sound like a crime.

Snortle!
  #39   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 14:36
Registered Member

HEE HEE
  #40   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 18:57
Registered Member

BF:

Originally posted by liftnlady:

Quote:
today's menu is

flax o meal cereal, 1/4 cup ricotta, tsp butter, tbls cream

1/4 cup macadamias

5oz chicken, 2 cup spinach, 1/4 cup almonds, 1/2 apple, peanut butter almond oil dressing

1/2 apple, 1tbls peanut butter, 1/4 cup cocunut cream pudding

3 eggs, 4 pieces bacon

this gives me about 1850-1900 cals

saturated fat is about 30%, mono is about 65%

Liftnlady do you come up with your own menus? Do you plan ahead and eat diff meals for each day? Mind sharing some of ur fav recipes? I wish my menus were as good as yours but as you can see its all the same food day after day, no variations. I eat lots of condiments like mayo,mustard,and pepper is that allowed in ATKINS? Liftnlady i went to look for NHE board in the Exercise Forums but i couldn't find it, is that the one called "CKD 101"?
  #41   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 19:14
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnnabethin
... NHE board in the Exercise Forums but i couldn't find it, is that the one called "CKD 101"?

CKD, TKD, NHE - they are all quite similar in that they are all basically a keto diet, with strategic carbohydrate "refeeds" which stimulate thyroid and help keep your metabolism high, and which give you glycogen for anaerobic (weightlifting) exercise.

I will start an NHE journal here when I get the book. In the meantime, you can read about it here: http://davedraper.com/faigin-natura...nt-excerpt.html
  #42   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 19:56
Registered Member

BF:

Originally posted by Built:

Quote:
CKD, TKD, NHE - they are all quite similar in that they are all basically a keto diet, with strategic carbohydrate "refeeds" which stimulate thyroid and help keep your metabolism high, and which give you glycogen for anaerobic (weightlifting) exercise.

- Built

Huh!? Ok so what you're saying in other words is that they are all LC diets right? Ok, i got that Thyroid? Are you trying to say that some carbs are good energy source (glycogen) for performing naerobic exercises? OK, i got that too As you can see i'm not that familiar with some of this terms but i understand it for the most part.

P.S. Saw ur pics and i just got three words for you...OMG!! You look great!! Ok that was more than 3 words but really, you look amazing! I hope i can look like u one day... WTG Girl !!!
  #43   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 20:15

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Well let's see... For breakfast i'll usually have some 2-3 fried eggs with 1 bacon or f1 ried hot dog(the ones with low carbs). Then around 1pm i eat lunch and that usually consists of either 2 pieces of broiled chicken or steak with 1 cup of salad and lots of mustard(to give some flavor to the meat cos then it would just taste pretty bad) and another bottle of 8z water. After lunch i might still be hungry so for a snack i'll eat a can of tuna with some mayo and again 1 bottle of 8z water. By night I don't usually get hungry but if i'm i'll have something small, maybe just tuna again or chicken but no salad.

Wnnabethin...your menu looks very low on the fats and veggies and high on the protein. Contrary to popular belief, Atkins is not a high protein way of eating, but a high fat adequate protein diet. Your menu is also lacking the veggies that you need. Even on the strictest induction, you need to get at least 3 cups of veggies per day. 1 cup of salad isn't nearly enough and if it's iceburg lettuce, that particular veggie is very lacking in nutritional value. Try to add some more veggies (darkest green ones or very colorful ones are best) and don't be afraid to use some salad dressing like vinegar and olive oil, ranch or bleu cheese.
I'd also like to point out that at 112 pounds, you are already within a healthy weight range for your height, so any weight loss you do experience will likely be slow. We'd all like to be at the low end of our healthy weight ranges (well..a lot of us would anyway), but often our bodies have a very different idea of what a healthy weight is for us and will fight any efforts to get to a lower weight. You will need patience to get much lower than you are already so while you're excercising that patience, you might be better served by working on adding some healthier foods to your menus like more veggies and more water (try to get 64 oz. daily, not just when you feel like it).
You also didn't mention whether or not you are excercising. Adding an exercise routine or changing the one you are already using might also be helpful.
Good luck!
  #44   ^
Old Fri, May-14-04, 23:07
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:

Huh!? Ok so what you're saying in other words is that they are all LC diets right? Ok, i got that Thyroid? Are you trying to say that some carbs are good energy source (glycogen) for performing naerobic exercises? OK, i got that too As you can see i'm not that familiar with some of this terms but i understand it for the most part.

P.S. Saw ur pics and i just got three words for you...OMG!! You look great!! Ok that was more than 3 words but really, you look amazing! I hope i can look like u one day... WTG Girl !!!

Thank you for your kind words!

And it sounds like you've got the gist of it.
A basic low-carb plan is a bit of a misnomer. Really, it's a high-fat, moderate protein, low-carb plan.

The big deal is that the fats are HIGH (about 65-70% of total cals) and that the carbs are low (about 5% of total cals).

Anaerobic (resisitance) exercise isn't fat burning, per se. It actually works better with a little blood sugar to burn.
So if you do your lifting with some available blood sugar, you are able to work the muscle more, which actually causes "damage" to it. This damage stimulates your body to "send in the troops" to repair it later on. This part is very inefficient, burning off a LOT of energy. Plus, the muscle is more metabolically active, so as it grows, it burns more energy when you're just sitting around.

That's why you never do cardio first, of course. You don't want to just burn off your blood sugar.

If you lift first, you USE the sugar to work the muscle. If you follow this with a little moderate cardio, you go straight into the fatburning part.
The other way around, you basically burn NO sugar and build NO muscle. You DO get tired, though.

Occasional "refeeds" of carbohydrate can help keep your thyroid from slowing down - something that IS, unfortunately, associated with dieting.

Good luck with your goals. Lisa's right though - you are so close to where you say you want to be, you may not get there through diet alone. You'll probably have to do something strategic to reshape your body.

Cheers

- Built
  #45   ^
Old Sat, May-15-04, 12:42
Registered Member

BF:
Default What's Thyroid?

Quote:
Occasional "refeeds" of carbohydrate can help keep your thyroid from slowing down - something that IS, unfortunately, associated with dieting.

Thyroid: is a very important gland in the human body. It controls the rate of metabolism or how fast the body burns calories and operates. The thyroid also controls how some other important glands and functions work, so it's important to know if it is working properly. Regulates metabolism and blood calcium levels.

Built, thanks for pointing this out, now i know what a thyroid is and what it does for my body . I didn't knew about it before but after a google search and reading about it i finally understood. I'm gonna keep doing my ATKINS for now but i might change it for NHE later cos i think that's the best diet for weight training and cardio work. I haven't started my weight training yet but i did went on a 1 mile walk this morning, could have been running but i got so tired after the first 2 min that i decided to slow down and just walk. I thank all of you for your support: built, liftnlady,lisa N, jagbender, misscollie1 (and all others that i might forget, you know who u are for it has made me wanna do this even more