Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sat, Jun-26-04, 05:01

Plan: atkins
Stats: 225/173/180 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%

lotsa great advice on this form.... during induction all carbs should come from vegs....no nuts or low carb junk foods such as shakes, candy bars and ice cream. i dont care how many carbs are in em. save all of your carbs for vegs. every-body is different. staying under 20 carbs a day using vegs for carbs you will burn fat, but if you get the carbs from junk food who knows if youll be burning fat or not. works for me
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sat, Jul-10-04, 07:35

Plan: want to try adkins
Stats: 210/210/130 Female 5ft4inches
BF:
Progress:

The lady I work with started a low carb diet last week but never researched it on the levels its supposed to be done. She isnt aware of the induction part one what you can and cant eat the first few weeks. Ive been researching this for 2 days now and learned alot more than what she has told me just from this forum. She said to count the carbs..no more than 30 carbs a day. Will that work? Is there some information I should really warn her about to make this diet work best for her? She doesnt have the internet nor the desire to buy the books. She is just following word of mouth from people who are already on the low carb diet but failed to tell her the steps on reaching your goal. Im learning alot from this site and will be going out to buy a book to follow on top of following your guy's advice. Ive tried many diets in the past and none of them got further than losing the water weight. Ive always been very petite till I got pregnant with my son then gained nearly 90 pounds due to complications and preeclampsia. I never understood why I gained so much weight when all I ate was fruits and vegitables during my pregnancy. Back then I was told that carbs gave energy and watch the calorie and fat content instead. Now I understand why. After my son was born I went from 198 to 165 then my DR suggested Noraplant for me. I had it in for 2 year and my weight went up to 198 again. I stayed at 198 for 8 year as an average.. It went down a little when dieting then up again when I lost hope. But these last few years I gained another 10 pounds and have not been able to get it off. I retain water really bad and Im not one who likes salt. I love water and drink it alot but cannot get the swelling down. My DR says its causing my blood pressure to go up and down. I was put on diaretics which dont seem to help. Will this diet help maintain water retaining and also help stabalize my blood pressure? Im also being tested for diabetes which I was told to lower cards to control meaning eat brown rice instead of white, replace white bread with wheat and also the same with pasta. I asked my DR about the Adkins diet and he said it will be fine but didnt say if it will help my condition. Had anyone else gone through a health problem similar to mine if so what kind of changes did this diet do? Thank everyone on this forum for being supportive. Dieting alone is a complicated thing especially with no goal or guidelines. You guys helped provide that to people. Thank you
  #33   ^
Old Sun, Jul-11-04, 06:53

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Ambrosia - you're limited on what you can do on the forum until you've made 25 posts, so keep posting so we can do things like send private messages to you! Also, you can start a journal (in the journal area). Click on "new thread" at the bottom of your screen (green rectangle) and pick a title for your journal (ie Ambrosia's Triumph! ) and loads of people will come visit you there and you can enter what you are eating, any thoughts and concerns you want to share, exercise, goals, challenges, etc.

Right of the bat - I would go out and buy the book in paperback and go to the Atkins website for Induction information. It's frustrating to even try to start this plan if you don't know what you're doing - so read the book, 'kay??

Take care and CONGRATULATIONS on taking this first step - you won't regret it! Keep coming back to the forum because it really can be the key to your success with this way of eating (WOE for short)!

Nicole
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Jan-04-05, 12:28

Plan: Semi-LC/Alt. Day Fasting
Stats: 229/221/150 Female 5'8"
BF:Goal is 22%
Progress: 10%

Bump for our New Year Newbies!
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Jan-13-05, 06:52
Registered Member

Plan: My own (low fat/low carb)
Stats: 162.8/151.8/121 Female 5ft 3
BF:28.9%/26.9%/21.4%
Progress: 26%

Hey guyz I really appreciate your support and infos as a newbie (a new year newbie ) anywayz, I got confused with what daddiom said, I'm using the atkins carb gram counter that I downloaded from atkins.com and there are two columns, one is for net carbs and the other for carbs, which should I count? I don't want to mess up my induction am in my 3rd day, please help! thanks alot xx
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Jan-13-05, 06:57

Plan: general
Stats: 230/230/180 Male 180
BF:
Progress: 0%

You count the "net carbs" , you should find that the net carbs equal the CARBS-FIBRE ... net carbs means they have already done the maths for you

Hope this helps.
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Jan-13-05, 07:11
Registered Member

Plan: My own (low fat/low carb)
Stats: 162.8/151.8/121 Female 5ft 3
BF:28.9%/26.9%/21.4%
Progress: 26%

Thanks pad exactly what I wanted to hear, coz if I count the carbs i'd end up eating lesser ammount than what I'm supposed to have, and I really love my veggies, wouldn't wanna lose them lol
  #38   ^
Old Sat, Mar-05-05, 09:16
Terranova

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Hi Daddio! Nice to meet ya!

Love your tips for new folks-- thanks so much!

Cheers*

Terra
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Apr-22-05, 05:45
Registered Member

Plan: adkins
Stats: 200/150/150 Female 68
BF:25%
Progress: 100%

Thanks for the pointers. I want to be healthier now that I have my grandchildren. Diabetes and heart disease run in my family and it can run on by....God bless and give everyone committed to a low carb life the strength to endure and overcome temptation. Sugar is the "Devil"!!!
  #40   ^
Old Fri, Apr-22-05, 09:08
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/243/180 Male 5 10"
BF:
Progress: -5%

Thanks a lot for your help Mike. You have some great suggestions. Your sf jello and whip cream is a great idea. How many carbs does pork rines have? I like them, but always stayed away because of the fat content. Yes, I am taking multivitamans everyday.
  #41   ^
Old Fri, Apr-22-05, 11:17

Plan: Maintenance (PPLP)
Stats: 216/131/140 Female 5 feet, 5 inches
BF:48.79/21.19/23
Progress: 112%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole621
Good advice!
I agree...mmm...low carb tortillas- I just found them by Missioni. They don't even taste low carb. For the small tortilla they are 5 carbs per tortilla. Wrap it up w/ some cheese, grilled chicken, lettuce, tomato and you're good to go!

Do you mean the Mission LC tortillas? If so, beware! They have transfats!

Latortilla Factory tortillas are much, much better....only 5 carbs per large tortilla, a whopping 14g of fiber, and 7g of protein :-). I mistakenly thought my local stores didn't carry them because they aren't stored with the other tortillas -- they have to be refridgerated and located in the deli part of the store.
  #42   ^
Old Sun, May-15-05, 22:30
Registered Member

Plan: Just Low Carb
Stats: 163/155/143 Female 5'5"
BF:Not Sure
Progress: 40%

Thanks for posting the advice. I think reading about other people's "stalls" and reading about how it's temporary and your body changes anyway will help me get through it when it happens to me. This something I've been gearing myself up for because I know I'm not going to lose 9 pounds every week. Thanks again!
  #43   ^
Old Mon, May-16-05, 18:19

Plan: Atkins~~OWL
Stats: 294/237/150 Female 5' 6
BF:
Progress: 40%

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement. I didnt even know I could have pork rinds and I have always LOVED them . I will also have to try the SF jello and whipped cream from the can idea for when I have sweet cravings. YOU all are already helping me so much.

THANKS,
KimNWI
  #44   ^
Old Thu, Dec-08-05, 01:22
Registered Member

Plan: HARDCORE low carb!
Stats: 225/184/130 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 43%

Great advice, even for us "not-so newbies"
  #45   ^
Old Thu, Dec-08-05, 10:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/181/130 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

Thanks for bumping this up. I think all of us need to read the advice here often because it keeps us on track.