Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: Your Score on the Carb Addict Test?
0-2 No addiction 3 1.91%
3-4 Mild addiction 8 5.10%
5-7 Moderate addiction 32 20.38%
8-10 Severe Addiction 114 72.61%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

#31   ^
Old Sun, Feb-08-04, 20:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 278/259/150 Female 5' 3
BF:49
Progress: 15%
Default Just learned I am a SEVERE CARBS ADDICT!

Hi Zuleikaa,

I just took the test you suggested and found out that I am in the Severe Carbs range. I scored 9 yes and 1 no. Pretty bad I know.

I have been off this WOE since January and I am really feeling the bunt of it. I don't like it at all. I used to feel full of energy when I stayed on the induction part of the program. I stayed on it pretty much all the time and didn't mind it at all until that fatal Thanksgiving Day I broke down and had a regular dinner with desserts. I still stayed on the diet afterwards but gradually begin to nibble here and there and now I am only doing breakfast and drinking water, which is not much at all. I found myself last week noticing that I was really tired. So tired that I needed to take a nap and even that didn't help my tiredness. I just realized tonight that it is because of the carbs. It's the carbs!, It's the carbs!, It's the carbs! That is what is making me not have any energy!!!!!!!!! So I am coming back home to this WOE. I want to feel good again with energy. I know that I can do it because it is so easy when you have energy!!!!!

Ya'll pray for me to be able to stay on it because it could mean my death if I don't!! Thanks,

Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 07:28
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

b4ugo
Congratulations for coming back!!! It's especially hard during the winter months!!! Read this.

We're all pulling for you!!! We've all been there!! Some of us many times, lol!!!
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 08:51
Registered Member

Stats: 300+/???/175 Female 68 inch
BF:more/than/enough
Progress: 7%
Unhappy

Yikes a nine . I tried CAD, but as others have said for me it was like a carb free for all at the reward meal, even though I tried not to...so I went on Atkins, works much better for me.

I was never so much into sweet things except coke, but chips, bread, potatoes, ummmmmm. No control over those, but thankfully the cravings are gone. Also my blood sugar has evened out, no more nausea, shaking, dizziness, lethargy, and wooly headedness...which I used to solve with coke, talk about an endless cycle.

Best thing, I had a potato chip, not the whole bag, just one, and it just tasted greasy and way to salty...great feeling. Still haven't wanted to go back to coke.

Great thread really interesting to read through the replys, thanks.

Debra
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 08:54

Stats: 272/199/175 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 75%

A 9 for me. "Hi my name is Patti and I'm a carb addict"
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 14:15

Plan: my own
Stats: 297/159/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

I got an 8 before LC and a 2 now. The one question about diet after diet concerns the past, so that hasn't changed. On this list, the only problem I still have is being triggered to eat when I see, smell or think about food. (I've learned to never clip grocery coupons on an empty stomach ) Sometimes I just ignore this feeling and it goes away - other times I eat something very small.
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 18:24

Stats: 359/266/174 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 50%

wow, what an eye-opener! I got a perfect 10. But the best part is that when I answer the questions about how I am feeling now on Atkins I only get a 1! I knew I had a problem but until starting LC I just didn't realize how much out of control I was. It'a such a wonderful feeling to be in control my own body.
  #37   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 18:55

Stats: 285/259/170 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 23%

I scored 9. For me carbohydrate addiction is alot like alcoholism. I seem to have an obsession coupled with an allergy or sensitivity to carbs. I am very content eating good carbs but I know now that if I "cheat" and start eating the bad carbs, I'm off to the races.
  #38   ^
Old Mon, Feb-09-04, 19:21
Contributing Member

Stats: 345/304/240 Male 5'9
BF:20.72 %
Progress: 39%

I scored 10. I am in the process of turning my life around by controlling my carb intake. I call what I have an addiction just as if it were alcohol or drugs because the end result and damage is comparable. Damaged health and an out of control life are just some of the results.

One advantage I have now compared to other failed attempts at controlling my weight problem is the understanding that I can never look at carbs the same way I used to. Carbs are like fuel on a fire with my appetite. It will never change, and any advantage I have now while eating low carb is only temporary and will end as soon as I start eating them again, in higher amounts (especially sugar). The only lasting change in my metabolism and appetite will come from regular exercise and constant vigilance following this woe.

For myself, it is a daily struggle and a realization that I can never go back to the way it was. It has gotten easier however over time almost to the point of being such a habit to follow this woe that I actually feel uncomfortable if I for example don't drink enough water, take my vitamins, have a good breakfast, and so on.
  #39   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 11:54

Plan: -
Stats: -/-/- Female -
BF:
Progress: 8%

Yep, that's me! I actually started my long LC journey on the CAD diet. I'm back to it now. Someone get me some lc glue so it sticks!
  #40   ^
Old Wed, Feb-11-04, 12:51

Stats: 264.0/146/139 Female 5' 6
BF:
Progress: 94%

I ALREADY knew I am/was a Carb Addict. But, I was game and took the test. As most of you did, I took it twice ~ once as the person I was before this WOE and again as me, now, 15 weeks of being on this WOE.

My before me: 10

Me Now: 2

My 2 now:

Sometimes I do eat my lunch earlier than I probably should, if you go by normal time periods. But I get up at 5:00am; at work by 6:30; eat my breakfast while answering my email at work before 7:00; and then my lunch by 11:00 ~ so, I don't think this counts.

Yes, the smell of food can get to me to snack, BUT, when I do snack it is a legal snack ~ so, l don't think this really counts.

Therefore, I guess my NOW is 0!!!!
  #41   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-04, 07:28

Plan: "modified" atkins
Stats: 287/206/170 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 69%

I am with kath310....If I could score an 11...that would be me. Last month I was DX with diabetes. I have been on metformin. It has made it quite a bit easier, and I am not lethargic anymore. I actually don't have to have an afternoon nappy. My blood prolly just had WAY too much sugar circulating. Not really sure of the dynamics of that whole thing...but I am feeling a lot better. I still eat around 60 grams of carbs a day. NO sugar, though. I do eat small apples, and I eat peanut butter with it when I do. I have lost of 10 pounds since my DX Jan 27, 2004. Still going strong...
Have a great day!
~*Kelly*~
  #42   ^
Old Mon, Feb-16-04, 16:31
Registered Member

Plan: low carb
Stats: 225/225/145 Female 66 inches
BF:too much
Progress: 0%

well i am a 10...and i think once a 10 alway a ten it is just a matter if you are eating the carbs or not, not whether i am addicted. i love comfort foods.. mashed potatoes and gravy were my staple for years when i was upset.. when we had 9/11 i ate them consistentally for a while..i think lots of people found their comfort foods and stayed for a while..i fell off a while back and just returning again...those morning pastries are a killer when i don't have time to fix something.. i would try and say it is only one.. well a journey just starts with one too and looks where it can take ya.....
debra
  #43   ^
Old Tue, Feb-17-04, 21:21
Contributing Member

Stats: 257/216/150 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

yep, took it before -- I'm 9.5. I took off half a point because in this:

"Do you get unexplainably tired and/or hungry in the afternoon?"

I could actually explain it -- it was lunch!
  #44   ^
Old Fri, Feb-20-04, 16:20

Plan: Atkins - Modified OWL
Stats: 290/250/135 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 26%

YES! Before I began LCing I was "severely addicted"
  #45   ^
Old Thu, Apr-15-04, 05:30
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

Wow!!! It looks like over 90% of TDCs are/were carb adddicted. I intuitively thought that was a large problem of TDCs, malfunctioning insulin mechanisms, but it's nice to see proof.

Good luck all!!!